Link: Citibank: World economy is trapped in a death spiral

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You know, for the life of me I can't figure out this stuff.

In 2008, gas prices blew through the roof and were alleged to be proof of/a contribution to the global recession (and totally Bush's fault btw). By inauguration day, gas prices had gone down to $1.39 per gallon, the same price they were on 2/10/03 when I headed to the West Coast - and THAT was considered VERY HIGH for early 2003.

Now fast forward - gas prices are down to $1.46 here........and all of a sudden low gas prices are proof we're in a calamity. The VERY SAME people (they think I forget this is what's so amusing about it) I heard whining up a storm and blaming Bush in 2008 and saying apocalyptic things like, "We'll never see gas below $3 a gallon again" when it was $4.....those same people are whining about the $1.46 per gallon is 'starving the families whose livelihood depends on the oil industry' blah blah blah.

I won't sit here and pretend any sophistication that I fully comprehend this. But this sounds a whole lot like the global warming thing to me.

If it's hot? It's global warming.
If it's cold? It's global warming.
If it's the same? Global warming is in a pause period.

If gas prices are high? It's terrible for the economy.
If gas prices are low? It's terrible for the economy.
If gas prices stay the same? It's terrible for the economy.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

In 2008, gas prices blew through the roof and were alleged to be proof of/a contribution to the global recession (and totally Bush's fault btw). By inauguration day, gas prices had gone down to $1.39 per gallon, the same price they were on 2/10/03 when I headed to the West Coast - and THAT was considered VERY HIGH for early 2003.

Now fast forward - gas prices are down to $1.46 here........and all of a sudden low gas prices are proof we're in a calamity. The VERY SAME people (they think I forget this is what's so amusing about it) I heard whining up a storm and blaming Bush in 2008 and saying apocalyptic things like, "We'll never see gas below $3 a gallon again" when it was $4.....those same people are whining about the $1.46 per gallon is 'starving the families whose livelihood depends on the oil industry' blah blah blah.

I won't sit here and pretend any sophistication that I fully comprehend this. But this sounds a whole lot like the global warming thing to me.

I guess it depends on whether you're Houston or the rest of the country. ;)

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

This is all still Bush's fault.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
This is all still Bush's fault.
Actually that is what Obama said today when asked about the shrinking number of Americans employed, during the speech he was giving on how low the unemployment rate is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.