Lengthy Diatribe Time: Post-NSD Wrap-Up With Closing Thoughts

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Want to wrap up a few things on the 2016 class now that the dust has firmly settled on National Signing Day.

First off, the obvious: 'Bama pulled in another great class, despite some unnecessary fretting the past couple of months from the insecure wing of the fan base. I think we've signed some better classes over the years, but in general this class checks off all of the boxes that you want to check when you run down the overview of a class. Deep talent pool across the board? Check. Generally filled needs? Check. Inked a high percentage of targets? Check. Netted a few potential star players? Check. Talented QB and OT signees? Check. Some instant impact signees? Check. Good number of early enrollees? Check. Solid academics? Check.

Now, unquestionably, the final days of the recruiting season this year were more hectic than they typically are for Alabama. Why was that? I think there are three main factors at play here. Two of them I've discussed previously (Kirby leaving and CFB Playoff preparation), and I won't rehash here. The third factor? I think with the rise of early enrollments, the recruiting landscape has seen a pretty sharp dichotomy appear among top prospects, the result of which is that top prospects now are either enrolling earlier or essentially waiting until NSD. So, now you get early commitments from recruits who are lower-to-middle level billing (i.e. guys who are mainly looking to secure a spot), you then get a big wave of top prospects signing and enrolling early, and then... basically everything stops until NSD. The rush of January commitments has declined and everything now gets backloaded to NSD. As a practical matter, that ends up with there being a lot of open spots and uncertainty come NSD, and I think that's a part of the reason why things were so hectic for us late. For better or worse, I think this is a trend we are going to see largely continue in the years ahead.

All right, it's a great class, everyone stipulates to that, so let's flip the tables and play devil's advocate for a minute. What is there not to like about this class? I've got three areas of concern:

(1) Academics are a bigger concern than usual. Not in the class as a whole, which is generally in good shape, but academics are a serious concern with two of the more crucial signees in this class, namely Raekwon Davis and B.J. Emmons. It's going to be a real blow if these two end up in junior college next August.

(2) D-line didn't shape up like I had hoped, and we had some misses. I was a big fan of the Jamar King signing, but outside of him it's tricky. Davis is a freak physical specimen, but the odds are clearly against him qualifying right now. Kendell Jones could turn into a fine player, but he needs to drop 30-40 pounds before he can crack the playing rotation. I'm also a pretty big advocate of Quinnen Williams, but I imagine he will need a redshirt and a year or two in the S&C program. Definitely some talented guys, and some real long-term potential here, but outside of King I'm afraid we didn't add anyone who we can place in the DL rotation in 2016.

(3) Did not add a big, physical WR to the class. For the most part, we haven't done a good job of recruiting and developing size receivers since Julio left, and that didn't change this year. Trevon Diggs is a great talent, but he's an ArDarius Stewart type player, and he won't be able to physically impose outside. With Mullaney leaving, I think this probably means we will try to dip back into the graduate transfer market to pick up a possession guy for next fall.

Random aside: Looking at geographical breakdown, very strange year for 'Bama. Almost no presence in Georgia and Florida, yet we racked in Mississippi, where we have basically struck out for 20 years running. Could have made a lot of money betting on that one this time a year ago.

Now, a few thoughts on random guys:

Jonah Williams may be as good as any player in this class, and although his early commitment and enrollment kind of limited his exposure, he was a tremendous pull out of California. Between him and Charles Baldwin, 'Bama couldn't have possibly done any better at OT. Scott Lashley was pure lagniappe, even though I think he's got starting SEC caliber potential.

Looking at the frame of Terrell Hall, I get the feeling he may very well take the Jon Allen route and ultimately end up at defensive end. He's grown a couple of inches in the past year, and the knee surgery he had isn't going to help him move in space. Going to bet that Scott Cochran can put some serious bulk on this kid in the S&C program.

Deonte Brown and Miller Forristall are also going to need some serious time in the S&C program, for opposite reasons.'

T.J. Simmons was not as heralded publicly as a lot of guys in the class, but I think he's a fine prospect. With him enrolling early, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get on the field a bit this fall.

No idea what to expect out of Shawn Jennings. I had some reservations about him, and that was before he suffered a pretty serious knee injury last fall. Really not sure what his physical condition is at the moment, though it's comforting to know he enrolled early.

Ben Davis and Lyndell Wilson? Both of them have basically everything 'Bama looks for in a linebacker.

Irvin Smith was another promising prospect who perhaps didn't get the attention he deserved. He's got a great opportunity at early playing time, and he's in a serious position of need. With his frame, too, he can add some real weight if we need.

Shyheim Carter was the biggest positive 'Bama surprise of NSD to me. Most overlooked like steal was Nigel Knott, who was an Ole Miss legacy. Nearly the same can be said for Jared Mayden, given his Oklahoma ties. Knott is going to have to add weight (kid looks like a beanpole, but the athleticism is outstanding), and Carter will as well, although to a lesser extent than Knott. I think Mayden is more physically ready right now. All in all, though, just loved our DB haul, and thought it was critical. In this day and age of CFB, if you don't have a slew of DBs who can cover, your defense is going to light up the scoreboard.

The way Joshua Jacobs flew under the radar until the last minute ought to indicate to you how important the camp circuit is to kids who don't come from traditional recruiting hotbeds. I was very glad to see his signing, especially considering the academic uncertainty with Emmons. He's got a really good short-end burst, a low, compact frame, nice vision, and he runs bigger than his listed weight. If he can add a bit more bulk in the S&C program, he could find himself in the rotation in 2017, and might even be able to soak up some mop-up duty carries in 2016.

Finally, a few thoughts on some SEC programs:

Ole Miss had a truly great offensive haul, and a great overall class. Just what Freeze and company needed after the 2013 class headed off to the NFL. Their offensive pick-ups -- Little, Patterson, Brown, and Pennamon -- constitute perhaps the most star-studded group in the country, 'Bama included. Think Little in particular will be a three-and-out and a first round pick. Much of their future, though, is riding on the development of Patterson, and I'm as skeptical of Shreveport QB products as I am pregnant virgins. I will also note two more things: (1) The Yahoo! story definitely took some wind out of their sails on remaining prospects, but the bigger potential impact on that front will be in the 2017 class; and (2) this is a bit of a role reversal for Ole Miss, in that they've won largely with defense the past couple of years, but this is an offensive-heavy class and the defensive haul isn't particularly impressive.

In terms of quality of depth throughout a recruiting class, the haul from LSU is effectively second to none. Still, glaring problem... No QB. Of course. Either way, Miles, or his successor, will have a slew of talented kids in the next few years.

Kirby did very well at Georgia, and, barring some Muschamp-style struggles on the field, will recruit really well. Much like Ole Miss and Patterson, though, a lot of their fortunes ride on Eason, who also comes an area known for turning out some highly-touted yet highly-overrated QB prospects. Jake Heaps, anyone?

McElwain, on the other hand, isn't getting on the recruiting trails what Florida should be getting. If he keeps recruiting at this pace, he's going to find himself in trouble in Gainesville. Franks is getting a ton of hype at QB from the Florida homers, but honestly I think he's going to a bit of a project. Great physical tools, but there is some serious refinement around the edges needed before he can be a real difference maker in the SEC.

Thought Auburn had a fantastic haul at DL and WR, but otherwise that class is pretty run-of-the-mill. A lot hinges on John Franklin at QB, and I have no idea if Gus can make it work with him.

Tennessee had a decent haul, but honestly not nearly as strong as I expected them to have after showing some real signs of life in 2016. If they are really going to return to compete for the SEC on an annual basis, as their homers expect, this class was a step back.

Arkansas with another snoozer class. Bielema is just going to continue to be the tough out who presents challenging match-ups due to their (now) non-conventional offense.

Mississippi State... Mullen helped cement the inevitable post-Dak decline with this class, though getting Simmons an absolute shocker. Simmons notwithstanding, it's the same song and dance from Mullen: The man just can't win head-to-head battles.

Swagcopter wasn't exactly soaring this year, and in general an otherwise middling haul for Texas A&M. Given all of the turmoil surrounding the program, though, my sense of it is that Sumlin perhaps did as well as could reasonably be expected this year. You don't have the kind of extracurricular garbage and on-field struggles that they had and then go out and sign a top class.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice wrap up BET...and although I am holding my breath that two of our boys will qualify somehow I am at ease with the fact that it is reasonable to assume they can qualify. I feel that way because we have seen kids qualify in the past when it was unexpected that they would. I am not sure if it is because Alabama is their destination and coach is in their ear every week or not but we have had good luck. I am also encouraged because I do not think Coach would be counting on them so much if he knew it was not probable the would quality. I dunno...just thinking out loud here.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Good stuff:

I agree with the misses on the big bodied receivers. I've been wondering if we might try Forristall outside due to his lack of bulk. He's certainly not going to be an on-the-line TE in the short term, but his height could be a major asset downfield.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the increased ESPN investment in NSD has encouraged the new structure to the recruiting season. It sucks for confidence in your class heading into the first Wednesday of February, but when a kid has an opportunity to bring national media to their high school for maybe the first time ever...it is hard to fault them.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Tideman, this is all you need to know. One of their top recruits couldn't sign the papers because he was in jail.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Good info and insight. Thanks for sharing. RB concerns me, our system relies on a punishing back that can run effectively between the tackles and I'm not sure Harris will be able to do that and Josh Jacobs is probably more of a Kenyan Drake-like player that will make plays around the edges and in space. We really need for Emmons to qualify so he help take some of the weight off Bo.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I haven't read up on Missouri's class & was wondering how their class shaped up..
I didn't reference it because frankly there wasn't anything notable with them, and we have such limited interaction with Mizzou (both on the field and on the recruiting trails) that it's not overly relevant to 'Bama.

In general, though, it was a bottom-end class. Couple of decent JUCO signees who could make a real impact early, but otherwise the class was very heavy on long-term developmental projects. Scales, in fact, may be the best prep prospect in the entire class. I'm sure some of those guys will pan out, but taking a lot of reasons tends to be a losing proposition more often than not. Odom will have to excel at player development to make this work, or have a lot more success on the recruiting trails next year.

Mizzou isn't a particularly strong recruiting school anyway, but Pinkel did a good job over the years of evaluating lesser-recruited prospects, developing players over the years, and finding lightly-recruited kids who were good scheme fits. That's how he made it go for many years, and based on his early returns, that looks like what Odom will have to do as well.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I've been wondering if we might try Forristall outside due to his lack of bulk. He's certainly not going to be an on-the-line TE in the short term, but his height could be a major asset downfield.
I think the specific answer to your query is no. We will redshirt him, bulk him up in the S&C program, and hopefully add a solid 25-30 pounds on him.

Forristall is, I think, one of the tougher evaluations in this class. I can actually see in him what the staff saw -- his recruiting interest from quality programs was a lot higher than his recruiting service billings would indicate -- and was an impressive prep player. He actually spent most of his HS career split out wide, he's decently athletic, and he is a natural as a route runner who has good hands and who attacks the ball in the air. He's got a lot of things that you just can't teach.

That said, he is a long-term developmental project who will have to transform his body to be a significant contributor for us, and that's always a risky proposition. The staff loves the frame and thinks that he can bulk up with good weight and still move pretty well, though of course that's not always the case. He does move pretty well, to be sure, but I don't think he moves well enough to get by solely on his athleticism. He's going to have to bulk up and be able to play, at least passably so, as an end-of-line TE.

Who knows if he gets there? Worth noting that, after enrolling early, he actually dropped some weight in the S&C program, which was alarming. He's got it going back in the right direction now, though, so hopefully that portends good things.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
RB concerns me, our system relies on a punishing back that can run effectively between the tackles and I'm not sure Harris will be able to do that...
I somewhat share your concern, depending on how injuries develop at the position (if Scarbrough stays healthy, we will be fine in this regard, I believe).

The good news, I think, is that offensively we have become less reliant on the interior running game the past couple of years, and moving forward there really isn't much of a reason to expect that to revert back to old form. Our 2008-2012 era offenses are something in the way of a historical bygone now, so there isn't as much of a need for a deep stable of interior power runners. And, frankly, if Barnett or Hurts ever win the starting job, we will probably need that even less so, because we will utilize designed QB runs a bit more.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks for that superb wrap-up BET.

I'll throw my two cents in here. I won't speak publicly on any program except ours.

Can't speak for Davis (yet), but Emmons will be here in June. We're good there.

Jonah Williams and Baldwin both have NFL 1st round talent/potential, as do Terrell Hall and Mayden. We did good.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think the specific answer to your query is no. We will redshirt him, bulk him up in the S&C program, and hopefully add a solid 25-30 pounds on him.

Forristall is, I think, one of the tougher evaluations in this class. I can actually see in him what the staff saw -- his recruiting interest from quality programs was a lot higher than his recruiting service billings would indicate -- and was an impressive prep player. He actually spent most of his HS career split out wide, he's decently athletic, and he is a natural as a route runner who has good hands and who attacks the ball in the air. He's got a lot of things that you just can't teach.

That said, he is a long-term developmental project who will have to transform his body to be a significant contributor for us, and that's always a risky proposition. The staff loves the frame and thinks that he can bulk up with good weight and still move pretty well, though of course that's not always the case. He does move pretty well, to be sure, but I don't think he moves well enough to get by solely on his athleticism. He's going to have to bulk up and be able to play, at least passably so, as an end-of-line TE.

Who knows if he gets there? Worth noting that, after enrolling early, he actually dropped some weight in the S&C program, which was alarming. He's got it going back in the right direction now, though, so hopefully that portends good things.
Thanks for the insight - good stuff and will be interesting to see how he develops

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thanks for that superb wrap-up BET.

I'll throw my two cents in here. I won't speak publicly on any program except ours.

Can't speak for Davis (yet), but Emmons will be here in June. We're good there.

Jonah Williams and Baldwin both have NFL 1st round talent/potential, as do Terrell Hall and Mayden. We did good.
Hope you're right, Mack.

While I'd obviously rather have both in the fold, the depth issues at RB make me think that losing Emmons to grades would be a worse blow than losing Davis.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Well, IMO, if anybody can afford to take on a developmental project such as described above, I think it would be us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.