Big loss for me today...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
My first job in media was this site, but it led to me getting my first everyday job in the newspaper industry, which in turn helped us grow TideFans.com into what it is today.

I just found out that Stanley Allison of Russellville, my first publisher at the old Franklin County Times, has passed away. In addition to being a diehard Alabama fan, he was also one of the kindest people I've ever known and a solid mentor to everyone who ever worked with or for him. Pretty sure he was a regular reader here but I never knew him to be a contributor on the boards, unless it was via an alias.

This industry never gets its due in regards to the investment of time it takes to do the job right, and especially at the small-town papers still chugging along, where you do every job under the roof yourself but rarely get a day off because the schedule never allows for it. Stanley hadn't worked there for a few years because of his health, but in happier days he was always a fixture, always fair, and a great boss. Everyone here who enjoys our site owes him a salute for helping me get my start and allowing me to do double-duty back when that was frowned upon somewhat in the media biz.

I was only with him a couple of years but he made a big impact on me and he's gone too soon.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
My first job in media was this site, but it led to me getting my first everyday job in the newspaper industry, which in turn helped us grow TideFans.com into what it is today.

I just found out that Stanley Allison of Russellville, my first publisher at the old Franklin County Times, has passed away. In addition to being a diehard Alabama fan, he was also one of the kindest people I've ever known and a solid mentor to everyone who ever worked with or for him. Pretty sure he was a regular reader here but I never knew him to be a contributor on the boards, unless it was via an alias.

This industry never gets its due in regards to the investment of time it takes to do the job right, and especially at the small-town papers still chugging along, where you do every job under the roof yourself but rarely get a day off because the schedule never allows for it. Stanley hadn't worked there for a few years because of his health, but in happier days he was always a fixture, always fair, and a great boss. Everyone here who enjoys our site owes him a salute for helping me get my start and allowing me to do double-duty back when that was frowned upon somewhat in the media biz.

I was only with him a couple of years but he made a big impact on me and he's gone too soon.
So very sorry. Prays and peace to his family and his friends.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Sorry to hear about that Jess. Sounds like he meant a lot to you. I'll salute him(even though I do not know him) for helping you to be who you are today. You are a VERY important part of this community and I couldn't image it without you. Thanks so much for all you do.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Very sorry for your loss, Jess.

Your kind and sincere words are a wonderful testament to this great man who you looked up to and respected.

Thank you for sharing this - I'm thankful for both Mr Allison's and your involvement in making this site the amazing resource that it is.

Respectfully,
Baz

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Sorry for your loss! Prayers to you....

Snake 4 Bama

Scout Team
Jan 1, 2013
So sorry for your loss. Great mentors are one in a million and you were privileged to learn from him.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Sorry for the loss Jess. Strong and positive male mentors are so important in the development of young men. From my POV, 64 y/o looks too young.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
Wonderful tribute. Sounds like one of the good guys is gone. Sorry for your loss.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Sorry for your loss Jess. Maybe some day your legacy will include some of the things you learned from him, and passed on to others. RIP Stanley Allison.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would that all managers really cared about their employees, and invested in them the way that they do other resources. People like this are always missed when they are gone. My condolences.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Small town papers perform a great service to a community, so if you thought so highly of him, he must have been s great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.