Big loss for me today...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My first job in media was this site, but it led to me getting my first everyday job in the newspaper industry, which in turn helped us grow TideFans.com into what it is today.

I just found out that Stanley Allison of Russellville, my first publisher at the old Franklin County Times, has passed away. In addition to being a diehard Alabama fan, he was also one of the kindest people I've ever known and a solid mentor to everyone who ever worked with or for him. Pretty sure he was a regular reader here but I never knew him to be a contributor on the boards, unless it was via an alias.

This industry never gets its due in regards to the investment of time it takes to do the job right, and especially at the small-town papers still chugging along, where you do every job under the roof yourself but rarely get a day off because the schedule never allows for it. Stanley hadn't worked there for a few years because of his health, but in happier days he was always a fixture, always fair, and a great boss. Everyone here who enjoys our site owes him a salute for helping me get my start and allowing me to do double-duty back when that was frowned upon somewhat in the media biz.

I was only with him a couple of years but he made a big impact on me and he's gone too soon.
Those who get us started always stay with us...prayers.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Prayers are going out for his family and you on this Sunday morning.
2 Corinthians 1-
3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord
Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able
To comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort
where with we ourselves are comforted of God.

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
My first job in media was this site, but it led to me getting my first everyday job in the newspaper industry, which in turn helped us grow TideFans.com into what it is today.
I was only with him a couple of years but he made a big impact on me and he's gone too soon.
I'm sure that you realize that the relatively few numbers of responses in this thread by no means represents the sense of loss, sadness, and prayers the Tidefans community has for you. As of my writing this over 1700 views but a fraction of responses. Not to speak out of turn, but I'm sure many people just aren't sure what to say in these situations. They worry about coming off as cliche, impersonal, or insincere. While I'm sure many would feel bad about this if it happened to anyone we know, your position in many of our lives is a bit different.

During football season I wait impatiently each week for the write-up for that weekends game and rage against the internet when it's not posted two seconds after the end of the last game (I was absolutely miserable waiting on the Clemson game preview.) You and your articles are a ritual for me now and it saddens me that the man that contributed to the skillset that became "JessN" and Tidefans has passed. One way or the other we're all appreciative of him and the impact that he had on your life that has given so many of us pleasure.

"Thank you" for sharing what was a private moment and a glimpse into your life. We the fans of Alabama, Tidefans, and your writing appreciate the influence he had on your life and that you provide this service.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
My condolences, Jess. I didn't know Mr. Allison, but I feel like I do after reading your heartfelt post.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.