The vote for Ken Stabler into the Pro Football HOF

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Hey guys. Today is the day! The voters will decide if Snake is in the Pro Football HOF. In my estimation, long overdue. NFL MVP - check. Super Bowl win - check. I think five-straight conference championship appearances - check. You can't write the history of the 70s, or Raider history, without him playing an integral part in that.

Sea of Hands, Holy Roller, etc. etc.

Of course, his off the field antics have kept him out of the Hall. But between the lines, he was a heck of a football player.

He was a little before my time (I was born in '77). I would like to hear some stories from folks on the board who got to watch him play in person, or who knew him.

Let's keep this a celebration of Kenny and to honor him with what I hope is a very important day to his legacy.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The voters are sports writers that hated him back in the 70's. I think it took him dying for them to finally vote him in. These writers are bitter old nobody's and this is their only power.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Screw those mediots that made a point to keep him out till after his death

ROLL TIDE KENNY

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Pretty decent article from the Oakland point of view.

Ken Stabler was the real hero of real Oakland

Far more important, Stabler making the Hall is a redemptive, euphoric moment for those fans still around who crowded into that little bookstore nearly 30 years ago, those people who still remember what he was all about. The E. 14th St and Mission Blvd. crowds. The inner East Bay. The real East Bay, not the Blackhawk or Orinda East Bay. We're talking about those fans who still patronize Ricky's Sports Lounge every weekend in San Leandro, where there's still a dish named after Stabler. We're talking about the bartenders who may have poured Stabler a stiff one at the Why Not Club in Hayward, or the Pop Inn in Alameda, or the Bamboo Room in Santa Rosa where the Raiders used to train.

Stabler represented these people. Even though he was an Alabama transplant, he was a man in his element here, usually in any dive where you could hear dice cups pounding, 8-balls smacking, Jones or Seger on the box, any place where you could order a pickled egg or pig's foot from a large jar behind the counter.

He was out and about the gritty parts of town, people got to know him, and they protected him. He never would have survived in the Twitter age, the Deadspin age, where his exploits and indiscretions would have spilled across the Internet..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Congrats Snake and well past due. RIP and I only wish you had been here to see it but I know you are enjoying this in the afterlife.

Tide-one-on

All-SEC
Aug 14, 2003
Pensacola, FL 32514
Congrats Kenny Stabler and family. Long overdue and well deserved. Made my day. I don't care for either of the teams playing Sunday, but this election just made it for me!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He should have been able to make his acceptance speech. It's ridiculous that this took so long.
He NOW, after he's GONE is deserving???
I'm very very happy for Kenny, but come on.
Regardless...Roll Tide Snake.
Congrats! Sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Glad to hear it. Sad that he passed before it happened. Still, happy for his family.

Didn't realize that he was the first NFL QB to retire with a 66% career completion percentage.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope they get John Madden to give his introduction speech.

I agree it is long overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I hope they get John Madden to give his introduction speech.

I agree it is long overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. Madden took him for face value on professional and personal level. The two of them understood each other and took that partnership to the highest football level.

Snake was the original scrambler. Fearless. Smart. Tough. Never complained. Just went and did his job on his terms and took no prisoners. Everyone............ EVERYONE knew exactly what Kenny was about. No smoke screens. No diversions. No doubt. He was an original.

There will NEVER be another SNAKE.

Congratulations Stabler family. And Roll Tide.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.