Alabama lands new DB coach (Derrick Ansley, co-DC at UK)

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Re: Alabama lands new assistant coach

I don't know much about Ansley other than what's in this article. I heard a few weeks ago he was a possibility to fill the vacancy we have of the defensive side of the ball. What surprises me a little bit is according to the article it appears Pruitt will coach inside LB's and Ansley will coach DB's. Not questioning the hire at all. If he's good enough for CNS he's certainly good enough for me.

Isn't Ansley supposed to be an ace recruiter?

I don't know much about Ansley other than what's in this article. I heard a few weeks ago he was a possibility to fill the vacancy we have of the defensive side of the ball. What surprises me a little bit is according to the article it appears Pruitt will coach inside LB's and Ansley will coach DB's. Not questioning the hire at all. If he's good enough for CNS he's certainly good enough for me.

Isn't Ansley supposed to be an ace recruiter?
Trust the force young padawan! [emoji1417][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

^^
Guessing here: Having the DC as position coach for LBs is sort of standard for Saban at Alabama. Steele was. Smart was when Pruitt and Tucker were with us.

With LBs making most of the calls on the field,the more he works with the LBs, the better they understand Pruitts'/DCs' calls and communication.

In this case it also puts the new staffer in position to soak up more of the Saban ways as both work with DBs. Ansley's career path just took a major upturn. :)

Last edited:

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL

On a side note I Saw him play football in high school and college. Heck of an athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Aaron Suttles tweeted:

"For those not familiar with Derrick Ansley: Excellent recruiter, highly thought of at Alabama, rising star in coaching, from Alabama."

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Alabama lands new DB coach ...

Bet he's a happy camper. Up and coming young coach and getting hired to work for coach Saban, I am sure he is having a good day today. Welcome aboard Coach Ansley!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Bet he's a happy camper. Up and coming young coach and getting hired to work for coach Saban, I am sure he is having a good day today. Welcome aboard Coach Ansley!
To go from a dead end program like Kentucky where the whole staff might get canned in another year or two to Saban's staff, I'd be tickled pink.

He had been a GA here, so Saban knows what kind of coach he is first hand. That makes the hire even better.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

^^
Guessing here: Having the DC as position coach for LBs is sort of standard for Saban at Alabama. Steele was. Smart was when Pruitt and Tucker were with us.

With LBs making most of the calls on the field,the more he works with the LBs, the better they understand Pruitts'/DCs' calls and communication.

In this case it also puts the new staffer in position to soak up more of the Saban ways as both work with DBs. Ansley's career path just took a major upturn. :)
Sort of like how the OC is always the QB coach

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Quick riser in the profession...went from a GTA to a co-DC in the SEC in ~5 years. Being a local guy is huge too.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

^^

I always think of it as "punching the Saban ticket." :D

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Saban has taken numerous off field coaches and brought them up the latter. Some on our staff, some would leave for an on field position and then return later. This guy also had years of experience at Divison III where you have to really know your technique since you can't just count on athleticism. Having coached a lot in our recruiting area he probably knows the high school coaches and programs well.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Isn't this a bit of a downgrade from last season? Mel Tucker is actually going to be harder to replace than initially thought.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Isn't this a bit of a downgrade from last season? Mel Tucker is actually going to be harder to replace than initially thought.
Almost anyone that you brought in was going to be a step backwards, but considering who (players) you are bringing back in the secondary, I wouldn't worry. They were playing great by the end of the season last year, and they won't just forget all of that stuff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.