Kirby knew he was leaving.....???

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I feel the same way about Smart as I do about Saban: They have been worth every penny they have been paid, they have performed at the very highest levels imaginable, and when they leave (have left) I will thank them for everything they have given us.

But yeah, I still hope UGA never wins a single game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I feel the same way about Smart as I do about Saban: They have been worth every penny they have been paid, they have performed at the very highest levels imaginable, and when they leave (have left) I will thank them for everything they have given us.

But yeah, I still hope UGA never wins a single game.
Well, I hope GA beats the living SNOT out of at least two teams EVERY year, TN and AU...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm a fan of Defense, and of Kirby Smart. I hope they win big, and win every game till they play us.

NOTE:
The players at Ga. are in for a culture shock when Kirby institutes a winning off season work out schedule for their guys. The Ga. guys will also have to suffer thru an 'ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT if they follow Kirby to success.

Please remember that we had a few guys who didn't want to get on board with Coach Saban when he took over the Helm at ALABAMA. They were gone soon enough, then we began to return to greatness.

I expect Kirby Smart to attempt to follow the same blueprint for success at Georgia, that he saw Coach Saban employ at Alabama.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I don't believe the leadership at Georgia had an epiphany at the end of the season that it was time to fire Richt. The decision was probably made mid-season after consecutive losses to Bama and Tennessee. I'm sure at that point they went out and got a head coach and kudos to them for keeping it quiet.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I don't believe the leadership at Georgia had an epiphany at the end of the season that it was time to fire Richt. The decision was probably made mid-season after consecutive losses to Bama and Tennessee. I'm sure at that point they went out and got a head coach and kudos to them for keeping it quiet.
And Florida. Gators / Dawgs is a big deal to the Dawgs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Many South Carolina fans (USCBAMA can confirm or deny) felt Kirby was a lock when Spurrier stepped down. Therefore, Kirby easily could have already been "gone" in mid-October to some extent.

Other thoughts go along the lines of UGA rushing to make the Richt decision when it realized Kirby was off to Columbia.

I wouldn't be surprised to know he told Simmons that.

Can see how the OP took the comments as him recruiting for another school while being on staff as Alabama, but do believe Kirby meant it as "You're good enough for me to recruit you even if/when I leave Alabama."

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This article on al.com has a quote from Simmons saying that while recruiting him, Smart told him regardless of where he ends up, he was going to "recruit the heck out of him"....I found it strange that he would tell him that. That must have been over the summer or during one of his visits during the season. I don't like that he would tell him that....and we all know he flipped and signed with UGA.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...n_identifies_area_ala.html#incart_river_index
Kirby made no secret that he wanted to USCe job when SOS stepped down. Also wanted the VaTech gig after Coach Beamer announced he was retiring. It is what it is. Onward. RTR

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It is a two-way street. As these players develop relationships with the assistant coaches recruiting them (and especially when they are coordinators rumored for all kinds of openings), the questions are going to come. Are you going to be around? Can I be reasonably sure I'll be playing for you if I sign?

The choice for Coach Smart and others in that situation is to either lie (i.e. pine box as referenced above) or to tell the truth while still selling the school and program they're coaching for. I could see Coach Smart saying "if one of my dream head coaching jobs is offered to me, I'd take it and I'd continue to recruit you".

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Kirby made no secret that he wanted to USCe job when SOS stepped down. Also wanted the VaTech gig after Coach Beamer announced he was retiring. It is what it is. Onward. RTR
Yep, Kirby felt it was the right time to take on a new challenge of his own...A Head Coach at either a SEC school, or something comparable in which he could utilize his recruiting and coaching connections. Good for him, but he is back to being a Bullfrog and here is to hoping he wins 2 games a year (Allbarn and UT), I could care less otherwise....The cocktail party will still be a "who cares" for me.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The way I see it...we kept Scott Cochran and they got a good recruit. I'm not complaining at this point. Kirby saw us thru the championship game and that was big. Best wishes to him until Bama plays Georgia again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.