Kirby knew he was leaving.....???

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
This article on al.com has a quote from Simmons saying that while recruiting him, Smart told him regardless of where he ends up, he was going to "recruit the heck out of him"....I found it strange that he would tell him that. That must have been over the summer or during one of his visits during the season. I don't like that he would tell him that....and we all know he flipped and signed with UGA.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...n_identifies_area_ala.html#incart_river_index

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I assume that Kirby has know for a couple of years that he was the leading candidate to replace Richt, and has had contact, and things got serious after the Bama game. I do not fault him, recruiting of players is selling yourself as much as the school, its personal. At least the player was from Georgia. I never thought we would end up with the consensus #1 class, and that is a reflection to the Bama brand and coach Saban. There are no sour grapes from me.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
We all knew Kirby was leaving. I read that remark as, " You're a good enough player that I would recruit you wherever I'm employed at." If you're going to get worked up over recruiting antics you prolly need to start a morphine drip and snort Valium for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
We all knew Kirby was leaving. I read that remark as, " You're a good enough player that I would recruit you wherever I'm employed at." If you're going to get worked up over recruiting antics you prolly need to start a morphine drip and snort Valium for next season.

Put the valium in a shot of vodka. Valium shooters. Just kidding.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama

I realized that Smart was going to leave sooner or later....I just thought it was odd to tell a recruit that while still being employed at Bama.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I think we've all known for some time that he was going to leave at some point. In fact , the thoughts of him staying put at UA as a 'HC in waiting' were mere dreams.
I see nothing wrong with his comments because Imo he was merely telling the recruit that he had talents that were in demand and that CKS intended to recruit him ''wherever I end up''. It was a completely neutral statement.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
I think we've all known for some time that he was going to leave at some point. In fact , the thoughts of him staying put at UA as a 'HC in waiting' were mere dreams.
I see nothing wrong with his comments because Imo he was merely telling the recruit that he had talents that were in demand and that CKS intended to recruit him ''wherever I end up''. It was a completely neutral statement.
Apparently I'm the only one that thought anything of it....I just discussed it with my brother and he didn't seem to care either. I suppose that while recruiting a player he may ask if you are going to be there and how long....so then I guess CKS saying what he said makes perfect sense.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I have no problem with that comment. Of all coordinators/coaches that have come thru Bama CKS is without a doubt one I can appreciate the most. The way he handled himself over the years with all the coaching opportunities and interviews exudes class. He must also be commended for serving double duty during the playoffs after accepting the job we all suspected he'd eventually end up with.

It's all good. I wish him the best, until he plays Bama. :wink:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Kirby should have said they'd carry him out it BDS in a line box or maybe told the recruit to hold the damned rope.

I think it was honest and only helps him in the future.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When a guy gives you a decade of his best work and only left when he got his dream job, I'm not going to fault him much on how he went out. Especially considering he went out with one of his best defensive units.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As far as I can see, if he had an effect on our class it was not a big one nor at spots where we didn't expect it. He flipped some targets that were in Georgia and I believe that is about it. It's not like he tried to dismantle our class. He flipped some guys he was involved with and had UGA high on their list anyway. We were expecting those flips I imagine.

If Saban wasn't interested in saying anything about it, I'm not going to worry about it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yeah, I'm not mad at Smart, nor do I dislike him. I just thought it was odd. But, obviously I'm in the minority here. Even my wife and my brother disagree with me.
You have point, but you have to weigh it against everything good that he did, especially the transition during a championship run. The consensus it, if that is all you can find on him, so what? So it's more if a body of work vs a questionable decision than the incident in a vacuum. He's family, he was here 9 years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is very possible that Smart made those comments to the recruit during the period in which it was clear that he was going to GA, but it had not been officially announced.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It is very possible that Smart made those comments to the recruit during the period in which it was clear that he was going to GA, but it had not been officially announced.
This^^^. Simmons committed to us on 1/2/16 sort of out of the blue after Kirby was named HC at UGA. I'm sure in the month(s) leading up to his committment it was being reported Kirby was the leading canidate for the UGA job. There is nothing to this.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I realized that Smart was going to leave sooner or later....I just thought it was odd to tell a recruit that while still being employed at Bama.
I think that is admirable, personally. Recurits want to know if you are going to be here. Now I assumed that all coaches would lie and say yes, wild horses couldn't drag me away. That a coach would be honest and say I may leave is refreshing to me and I applaud him for it.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
While Kirby is now with Jawja, I feel no animosity towards him. He did a great job while he was at Bama and it was unrealistic to think we could hold him forever. I knew he was as good as gone as soon as Richt was fired. Jawja is his alma mater after all. Like he said, he was not recruiting against Bama but he was recruiting for Jawja. Would have loved for the WR to be with us, but I guess now he may not get to be a national champion while in college.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.