Game Thread: Super Bowl L

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Here is what I want to know. Cam has been on some teams that lost more than this team so it's not like he hasn't experienced losing before. I don't remember it being an ESPN topic how he acted during or after those losses. So on par he probably handled those losses with more maturity. Which is what makes his display during and after the super bowl even more pathetic and narcissistic to wait until the biggest stage of your career to hijack the entire stage from the Broncos winning to being about how big of a baby you were. Guys his narcissism is on a clinical level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Cam Newton is paid 20 million dollars a year to be the face of the Carolina Panthers. He is paid many millions more to represent products being advertised. He did a poor job of that last night and I am sure those he represents are embarrassed by his actions, whether they will admit it or not. Hopefully, for his sake, he will learn from his experience and improve his attitude. If he wants to be respected, he will. I am not sure he cares. Time will tell.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Here is what I want to know. Cam has been on some teams that lost more than this team so it's not like he hasn't experienced losing before. I don't remember it being an ESPN topic how he acted during or after those losses. So on par he probably handled those losses with more maturity. Which is what makes his display during and after the super bowl even more pathetic and narcissistic to wait until the biggest stage of your career to hijack the entire stage from the Broncos winning to being about how big of a baby you were. Guys his narcissism is on a clinical level.

Actually it has been an ESPN topic. The difference was his team was losing. But this has been a topic for several years. Bill Polian addressed his behavior a few seasons ago and basically said "I'm not sure this kid will ever get it."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Meh, y'all can debate it all day, I don't really care either way. Fact is, he didn't want to be there so he left. If he's not fined, then he's fine.

I'll say this, I guarantee you if he hadn't played at Auburn no one here would care past a few passing comments...

That said, I'm out. Y'all have fun with this, I don't really care enough o debate it.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Have to say I agree with this...there is something very strange about him. Like I have said before, I live 40 miles from Charlotte and have a lot of friends that are Panther's fans, but there is no way I would ever pull for this dude no matter. FWIW There was a poll in our local newspaper asking people who their favorite Panther player was and he finished a distant 4th.
But who am I to say if I feared if my leg might get contorted that I might run from a football laying on the field just like him...even in the Super Bowl.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
This is the crux of the entire debate. A NFL franchise player (especially a QB) is expected to conduct himself in certain manner, in the good times and the bad. Cam has failed on both ends. In the good times he's acted like an immature child and in bad times he's acted like an immature child. The interview in the back ground was disclosed on the NFL Network and there was nothing in that interview that warranted Cam getting up and walking out. The guy was not bashing the Panthers or anything. Nothing was said out of line.Cam is just a spoiled punk who has never had to grow up and handle things like an adult and now he's getting called out on it by more than just Bama fans. Every NFL player is subjected to idiotic third grade level questions from the media. But somehow they find a way to adult their way through them like the teams that are paying them expect them to do. He is no exception and according to the reaction this week from former players (and the media) he's not going to get a pass on this. When he was doing the interviews (before him walking out) his body language and mannerisms looked a lot like my 10 year old daughter when she sulks and pouts. The walking out just put the icing on the cake as to the true colors of Cam Newton. He's a spoiled arrogant kid trapped inside of a man's body that just happens to be blessed with exceptional elite talent.
Do I think that professional athletes (especially quarterbacks) should conduct themselves with more maturity than Cam displays on a regular basis? Yes. But someone, an authority figure, has got to teach the kid. As I said in another thread, young people have to be taught manners and class, they don't spontaneously develop them. Have you ever seen Cam's dad? He's ten times worse. Cam's childish behavior has always been smiled upon and even rewarded. It would be amazing if Cam turned out any other way given his environment. To be perfectly honest, I think Cam is a kind, friendly young man with a lot of goodwill. They come a lot worse in the NFL yet those guys aren't made out to be nearly the villain Cam is.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Do I think that professional athletes (especially quarterbacks) should conduct themselves with more maturity than Cam displays on a regular basis? Yes. But someone, an authority figure, has got to teach the kid. As I said in another thread, young people have to be taught manners and class, they don't spontaneously develop them. Have you ever seen Cam's dad? He's ten times worse. Cam's childish behavior has always been smiled upon and even rewarded. It would be amazing if Cam turned out any other way given his environment. To be perfectly honest, I think Cam is a kind, friendly young man with a lot of goodwill. They come a lot worse in the NFL yet those guys aren't made out to be nearly the villain Cam is.
Some call him a classless thug. He's not a thug, there are some thugs in the NFL, but he certainly doesn't display class.
He is now a grown man with a child. It is time for him to do what it takes to conduct himself properly. If he doesn't know what that is he needs to learn. His father and Mother may be to blame for how he has acted in the past but now it is on him. He can be a revered legend if he continues his success on the field or he can be disrespected, win or lose.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
SIAP..I haven't read all the posts in the thread & apologize if this has been already posted..Andy Griffith gives sCam advice..LOL

Here's The Link..[video]http://www.flyheight.com/videos/andy-griffith-giving-cam-newton-some-advice/[/video]

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Meh, y'all can debate it all day, I don't really care either way. Fact is, he didn't want to be there so he left. If he's not fined, then he's fine.

I'll say this, I guarantee you if he hadn't played at Auburn no one here would care past a few passing comments...

That said, I'm out. Y'all have fun with this, I don't really care enough o debate it.
Since your going to keep this thread in college football. I think this is interesting.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Greg McElroy says Cam Newton 'quit on his team' in Super Bowl 50

The Auburn fans will probably take shots at him but he speaks the truth on this one.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They come a lot worse in the NFL yet those guys aren't made out to be nearly the villain Cam is.
They certainly do, but none of them are being promoted, rightly or wrongly, as the "face of the NFL". He is, so he has to take the heat for all of his antics.

Perhaps the biggest quirk of this discussion is no one is talking about how much most of us hate Peyton Manning.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
So no Jumbo Package!?!?

Which, alas, and contary to our learned Lee County confrere's comment, left Sonnyboy Shula and Camay up a kriek without a paddle.
Good pun. Anyway, Sonny Boy Shula mans up, and takes the blame:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/mike_shula_blames_himself_not.html#incart_story_package

"We weren't good enough. I wasn't good enough," Carolina offensive coordinator Mike Shula told reporters when asked about Newton's performance at his postgame press conference.
On Tuesday, Newton had told reporters how much Shula meant to him.

"I think a secret weapon that I've had since Day 1 for me has been Mike Shula," Newton said. "I won't let him hear me say that. He's been a father figure for so many of us on the field, in meeting rooms. For him to be a part of my career since Day 1, him being my quarterback coach my rookie year and him moving and staying on the same coaching staff as being the offensive coordinator, him knowing me throughout this whole process has been very important for my growth."
See, it is Sonny Boy's fault! All of it! $Cam told us so.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Perhaps the biggest quirk of this discussion is no one is talking about how much most of us hate Peyton Manning.
If Denver had defeated any other team, led by any other player, the theme of the TideFans SB thread would probably be focused on Manning's poor performance in the game, and how Denver won in spite of Manning. :biggrin:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I disagree with GM on the PC...I think Cam should have taken off his hoodie and acted like an adult and answered the questions like a professional.

I am still ammused at the Barner crowd who continue to try to defend Cam on this.

He blew it and no amount of "defending" him will change that. What he needs is a second chance in that same kind of spotlight which means if he ever gets back to another super bowl it will be to his advantage to lose again and get a chance to redeem himself!:wink:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I read this morning that the reason he didn't dive for the ball was because his leg was contorted in such a way...

"I didn’t dive on one fumble because the way my leg was (positioned)," Newton told reporters in Charlotte on Tuesday. "It could have been contorted in a way. You say my effort? I didn’t dive down. I fumbled - that’s fine. That’s fine. We didn’t lose the game because of that fumble.”
He needs to shut up. He's only making it worse by talking

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.