Game Thread: Super Bowl L

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I read this morning that the reason he didn't dive for the ball was because his leg was contorted in such a way...

He needs to shut up. He's only making it worse by talking

Saw someone yesterday say Cam was too close to the ball, so him diving would have meant him going over the ball. That's more believable than Cam's "my leg wasn't positioned in the right way."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Saw someone yesterday say Cam was too close to the ball, so him diving would have meant him going over the ball. That's more believable than Cam's "my leg wasn't positioned in the right way."
LOL

I've literally never seen someone not make an effort for the ball. He can make up whatever excuse he wants, but that was a cowardly move. Every other player will rip his own spleen out trying to get the loose ball...

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
LOL

I've literally never seen someone not make an effort for the ball. He can make up whatever excuse he wants, but that was a cowardly move. Every other player will rip his own spleen out trying to get the loose ball...
Compare it to the fumble recovery that Coker had in the beginning of the SEC championship game. There's no excuse for not going for the ball in that situation, it's the Super Bowl.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
When I first saw the replay of Cam not going for the ball I thought that maybe Cam thought that the ball was going to be kicked or deflected out of the pile. He at least could have used that as his excuse because it's a lot more believable..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When I first saw the replay of Cam not going for the ball I thought that maybe Cam thought that the ball was going to be kicked or deflected out of the pile. He at least could have used that as his excuse because it's a lot more believable..
I thought the same thing, then I heard his response in the presser. He admitted that it was about not risking further injury to his leg.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I have seen quite a few guys over the years go after a fumble when they were obviously not in a good position to recover the ball. They went after it anyway and it looked like they could get seriously hurt by doing it. Cam Newton is a good enough athlete that he could have probably just reached down and quickly scooped the ball up. He just looked bad not going for it.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I have seen quite a few guys over the years go after a fumble when they were obviously not in a good position to recover the ball. They went after it anyway and it looked like they could get seriously hurt by doing it. Cam Newton is a good enough athlete that he could have probably just reached down and quickly scooped the ball up. He just looked bad not going for it.
Agreed. Under normal game circumstances this season he probably would have gone after it. But he was getting his "buns" handed to him on a continual basis in this game. Therefore, win or lose, he had absolutely no desire to subject himself to more abuse.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
looks like his right leg planted awkwardly. his knee/leg took a funky twist and gave way a little so i can see in that situation not diving for the ball. it's not like he didnt want to. That little twitch of the knee kind of makes your body freeze up. But he still acted like a baby during the game. And the post game was still disrespectful to the league.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Compare it to the fumble recovery that Coker had in the beginning of the SEC championship game. There's no excuse for not going for the ball in that situation, it's the Super Bowl.
That sums up the biggest difference between College Football & the NFL, College Football is played on pride & emotions, those college kids leaves it on the football field every game, and us College Football Fans rides those waves of emotions with them every game(same could be said about high school football as well)..

NFL players are in it for one thing & one thing only, "Money", I can't place blame on them for it cause that's how they support their families, but, it's that difference that makes College Football the absolute greatest sports on the planet bar none..

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
Yeah, poor little fella. He's only 6'5 245 and it was only the Superbowl. You'll get it next time, Champ. Run on along now, and go show your teammates how you are supposed to celebrate when you make a six yard run to pick up a first down.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
looks like his right leg planted awkwardly. his knee/leg took a funky twist and gave way a little so i can see in that situation not diving for the ball. it's not like he didnt want to. That little twitch of the knee kind of makes your body freeze up. But he still acted like a baby during the game. And the post game was still disrespectful to the league.
it looked like he was only upright that close to the ball because he was tip-toeing in for the ball

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Cam Newton is basically an emotionally immature seventh grader. I know this because I teach a bunch of emotionally immature seventh graders. They see nothing wrong with his behavior. However, these same students see nothing wrong with not following directions, and think that teachers are "mean" for making them follow rules. When they are caught doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, their first response is to deny, deny, deny, even in the face of being caught red-handed. Contrition does not exist in their world.

He thinks that being gracious in defeat is tantamount to enjoying to lose. He claims that he hates to lose, but his actions on the field during the fumble tell a different story. McElroy is right - and not just because he more than doubled Cam's Wonderlic score - about having never seen a player not dive for a fumble. A player that truly "hates to lose" breaks his neck trying to recover that fumble, and I think that this is going to be an issue with his teammates going forward. I don't think that it will be an overt situation where someone calls him out in training camp, but rather during a game when things aren't going the Panthers' way. If he throws an interception that he feels a receiver quit on, there will be fireworks.

Or, maybe Thomas Davis lights him up in training camp, and then stands over him and shows him his footlong scar.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Cam Newton is basically an emotionally immature seventh grader. I know this because I teach a bunch of emotionally immature seventh graders. They see nothing wrong with his behavior. However, these same students see nothing wrong with not following directions, and think that teachers are "mean" for making them follow rules. When they are caught doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, their first response is to deny, deny, deny, even in the face of being caught red-handed. Contrition does not exist in their world.
Being married to a 7th grade teacher..............

"What? What? What did I do?" is the most often phrase I hear about, every single night, for 9 months of the year.

So, yes, I would agree!

There is the nonsense you have to put up with, from the parents, of the prime offenders. But, that is another story for another time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.