Game Thread: Super Bowl L

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One final comment, I think. Didn't Manning accomplish more in that 1st series of the game than he did the rest of the game? (See passing yardage.)

His interception was BADDDDDDD and after getting that ball knocked out of his right hand, it was time to hand off and not screw up anymore. That interception was not Manning-like. You just couldn't mess up what that DEFENSE was doing so just hand the ball to the rb and hope he didn't fumble.

I honestly think he looked OLD in that game. It was like an OLD man in the pocket! It is time for him to retire. He can't accomplish anymore. If he were to stay another year, he could be leaving the field on a stretcher. I'm sure he will be hired by one of the networks as a color or whatever they call it commentator.

If he does retire, I would probably want to hire him as OC of the Texans or maybe even the Texans Head Coach! He would at least be a great QB coach, but probably wouldn't make any money in that role.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Manning was Jay Barker in this game. Denver knew the offense didn't have to win the game and the defense could. He had a bad INT, just like Barker did against Miami in '92. So, they decided to let the defense win it AND they were right.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Manning was Jay Barker in this game. Denver knew the offense didn't have to win the game and the defense could. He had a bad INT, just like Barker did against Miami in '92. So, they decided to let the defense win it AND they were right.
Just re-watched that 92' game and this seems to be a very accurate comparison. Never thought I'd cringe when Peyton Manning threw a football.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
One final comment, I think. Didn't Manning accomplish more in that 1st series of the game than he did the rest of the game? (See passing yardage.)

His interception was BADDDDDDD and after getting that ball knocked out of his right hand, it was time to hand off and not screw up anymore. That interception was not Manning-like. You just couldn't mess up what that DEFENSE was doing so just hand the ball to the rb and hope he didn't fumble.

I honestly think he looked OLD in that game. It was like an OLD man in the pocket! It is time for him to retire. He can't accomplish anymore. If he were to stay another year, he could be leaving the field on a stretcher. I'm sure he will be hired by one of the networks as a color or whatever they call it commentator.

If he does retire, I would probably want to hire him as OC of the Texans or maybe even the Texans Head Coach! He would at least be a great QB coach, but probably wouldn't make any money in that role.
I don't follow the NFL so I don't know what he has looked like in recent years but I thought he looked physically awful last night. He was as skinny as a rail and his upper body looked downright pathetic. It almost makes you wonder about validity of the HGH story a few weeks ago.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just re-watched that 92' game and this seems to be a very accurate comparison. Never thought I'd cringe when Peyton Manning threw a football.
Peyton needs to retire for his own health...but he's still probably better than half the qbs in the league because he can throw the ball in spaces that he knows is open for his receivers even though he doesn't have the arm strength he used to have.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't follow the NFL so I don't know what he has looked like in recent years but I thought he looked physically awful last night. He was as skinny as a rail and his upper body looked downright pathetic. It almost makes you wonder about validity of the HGH story a few weeks ago.
His decline was dramatic. In 2013 he had prolific numbers and won his 5th NFL MVP award. In 2014 his numbers dropped, but he still played well. This year he was the worst QB in the NFL, and it wasn't close.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
his passes looked pitiful.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I suspect part of the reason CNS left the NFL was having to deal with guys like Cam Newton. He played poorly, didn't dive on that loose ball when the game was on the line, and didn't "man up" after the loss. What do they expect for $20 million per year? :rolleyes: Between this and the Cincy debacle, I couldn't deal with 'em either.

I'm just glad it's over. I only watched the last ten minutes of the game...but c'mon, twelve hours of coverage, there had to be at least 3-4 hours worth of commercials.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Peyton needs to retire for his own health...but he's still probably better than half the qbs in the league because he can throw the ball in spaces that he knows is open for his receivers even though he doesn't have the arm strength he used to have.
He's done. The interception he threw last night would've never left his hand two years ago. He would have pump faked it once then rifled it to the receiver once the defender broke on the fake. He's now a shell of himself at his prime. He was literally a game manager last night. He started and played because he's SO GOOD at audible play changes.

He has nothing left to prove as a player. I think he'll emerge as a coach at some level within the next 3-4 years.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Steep declines with age are par for the course in elite level sports. The margins are so thin, that when it goes, it goes fast.

I'd also so that Peyton Manning's biggest contribution to that Super Bowl win came in the last week of the regular season. They lose that game, they drop from a first seed to a fifth seed. That's a huge difference. No way they win that game without Manning coming in and taking over.
I agree with you on this point with every passing birthday. Of course I was never elite at anything when I was younger, but I could do things better. I always pull for the old guy or gal against the young bucks.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Cam Newton, a Man of Many Talents, Falls Short on Leadership
Newton, 26, an ebullient, intelligent, gifted quarterback, decided to act in his moment of truth like a 13-year-old. He slouched into the interview room late, well after a number of his teammates, rookies and veterans alike, had gamely answered one painful question after another.

He took a seat, a blue sweatshirt hood pulled low over his face. He made eye contact with no one. What did he make of the game? Was he surprised? How could he explain? The reporters’ questions arrived one after the other, not a surprise in the batch, some framed as gently as if offered by dimwitted therapists. For more than a minute, he stared at the floor, scratched his chin, curled his lip and sulked.

Anything he would do differently? “No.”

What did his coach tell the team? “He told us a lot of things.”

Did the Denver defense take away Carolina’s running lanes? “No.”

He offered a few more monosyllabic answers and then got up and walked away.

It was as if Newton was intent on taking his magical season, his jumping jacks and dabs and evident leadership, and poking a hole in his side. He let his charisma and leadership drain away, to be replaced by a soup of the sour and the petulant.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This .gif is going to haunt him for an unknown period of time. He fumbled the ball, and a recovery and TD could have won the game with 4 minutes left. Most believe he made a "business decision" because of his left shoulder. It is possible he thought #94 was his guy? I do know if this had been an Alabama QB, it would have left a lasting impression. Think of the contrast in intensity of Cam and Malcolm Butler in last years game. You are defined forever by what you do in the Super Bowl, and Cam showed his true colors for all to see.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Or a Budweiser spokesman.
Product-Placement Peyton has never been so blatantly brand-promoting as he was last night. You've just won the Super Bowl, emotions are soaring, and when asked how you're going to spend your evening your answer is "a whole lotta Budweiser." Come on man. He even made sure to say it again on the podium so everyone heard it.

Sometimes I think Peyton Manning loves commercials more than football. A couple of days after he got embarrassed in the Super Bowl by that Seahawks defense, he's already got another Nationwide commercial comin out. You guys need to prepare for the influx of Peyton Manning commercials that is about to flood the market. Papa John's, DirecTV, Nationwide, no commercial break will be safe from Product-Placement Peyton.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.