Sweeping Sexual Assault Filed against the Univ. of Tennessee

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thought I heard Hart make the comment, so I went back and watched the presser again. He indeed said the below statement around the 14 minute mark:

It (bad decisions/mistakes) can't impact the lives of the people you hurt.
Who would possibly write that statement in a speech in an attempt to defend a school's alleged sexual assault problems?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I find it funny that he said that "we have a great culture in our building." Well, duh, because you protect your own. That's the whole dang point of the lawsuit (what happens in the athletic department, stays in the athletic department)and he pretty much confirmed it. The whole athletic department is freaking blind and stupid.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Consider the possibility that Butch Jones didn't say this. In the original articles and court filings it was said that other TN players called the TN player who helped the girl a traitor - no mention of Jones. The statements and court filings are later amended to add Jones. Why? The easy answer - because saying that Jones said this makes it into an institutional problem. It ups the ante considerably.

Now Jones has to prove that he didn't say it. How can he do that?

If I were Butch Jones, and I did not say this, I would be looking for a way to leave TN while helping the victims. I would be looking to clear my name and distance myself from this school. My career as a head coach at TN would drop to the bottom of my list of priorities.

I don't know what role Jones played in all of this. At best he was guilty of not knowing what he should have known. But I am not taking it for granted that he said this because it is just too convenient and represents a change in the story of the accusers.
I would only say this: the player who is claiming to have gotten beat up for defending the girls....if a NEWSPAPER is asking 'did they beat you up?', I may be inclined to say 'no.'

While I realize people have lied on sworn affidavits, this guy comes from a good family and a good parental structure. It's still possible, but I'm thinking he understands what lying under oath can get you.

Maybe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would only say this: the player who is claiming to have gotten beat up for defending the girls....if a NEWSPAPER is asking 'did they beat you up?', I may be inclined to say 'no.'

While I realize people have lied on sworn affidavits, this guy comes from a good family and a good parental structure. It's still possible, but I'm thinking he understands what lying under oath can get you.

Maybe....
My point - his original story was that PLAYERS called him a traitor. He has changed that story and now says that his coach called him a traitor. I have no idea which version is true - I just know that he told 2 versions of the story.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Yes, that statement is burned into my mind. It took a while, but Fulmer finally got what was coming to him. Now days, he probably has nothing to do, except eating donuts.
Before the Fulmer regime I viewed UT as a rivalry that I respected. We have had some really classic games. Now, I really have no empathy for anyone involved with that program. It wouldn't bother me one bit to never play them again. I really do believe that they really enjoyed what they tried to accomplish to shut Alabama football down. For that reason alone I will never give UT the benefit of the doubt. Nuke em.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Before the Fulmer regime I viewed UT as a rivalry that I respected. We have had some really classic games. Now, I really have no empathy for anyone involved with that program. It wouldn't bother me one bit to never play them again. I really do believe that they really enjoyed what they tried to accomplish to shut Alabama football down. For that reason alone I will never give UT the benefit of the doubt. Nuke em.
Exactly..That's why it makes their 10yr slide into mediocrity all that more enjoyable to watch..The sold their souls to the devil trying to bring get our football program shut down & it literally wouldn't hurt my feelings one iota should the NCAA ever shut vols football down..Should it ever happen it would be well earned by the viles..

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I totally agree, with tennstud and all his money and influence, and we had Kramer as the SEC comm. I have total compassion for the women who were harmed but UT should get what Penn State did if all of this is true.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
My point - his original story was that PLAYERS called him a traitor. He has changed that story and now says that his coach called him a traitor. I have no idea which version is true - I just know that he told 2 versions of the story.
Has he told 2 versions of the story? I haven't read any interviews from him. The only time I've seen him mentioned being called a traitor, he was referring to Butch Jones.

I read an article a few weeks ago where it was mentioned the players came after him, but there were no interviews or quotes from Bowles himself. Then the article dropped a few days ago where he was actually quoted from a sworn affidavit that Butch Jones called him a traitor.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
If all this was happening before Butch Jones took the Tn. job, he should have known something was awry. Possibly he did know but hoped nothing would be brought to light about it during his watch. Now, Butch is up to his behind in alligators and it's too late to start draining the swamp. (No Fl. Gator pun intended. Run Butch Run.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Has he told 2 versions of the story? I haven't read any interviews from him. The only time I've seen him mentioned being called a traitor, he was referring to Butch Jones.

I read an article a few weeks ago where it was mentioned the players came after him, but there were no interviews or quotes from Bowles himself. Then the article dropped a few days ago where he was actually quoted from a sworn affidavit that Butch Jones called him a traitor.

Am I missing something?
I haven't read where he said players called him a traitor.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
If all this was happening before Butch Jones took the Tn. job, he should have known something was awry. Possibly he did know but hoped nothing would be brought to light about it during his watch. Now, Butch is up to his behind in alligators and it's too late to start draining the swamp. (No Fl. Gator pun intended. Run Butch Run.
If Jones left now on his own after that interview with the rest of the head coaches I would be VERY surprised. He appears to have made his bed next to that hound.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I haven't seen this where he changed the story either. Do you have a link?

FWIW, Drae Bowles mother used to be my dental assistant. We worked together for a couple of years but she was only assigned to me for a couple of weeks. She's one of the finest people I've ever known. I don't know Drae, but I know how he was raised and there is little doubt in my mind he's telling the truth.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
While I agree with those here who have little or no empathy for karma paying a visit to Knoxville after what Fulmer did to Alabama, this is an ugly situation and I really wish it were not happening. It is so I hope the truth is exposed.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I kind of have to say one thing. There's no way I could possibly feel empathy for any entity that did what Tennessee is accused of. I don't care if the rapists and people who had the rapists backs were working in a children's hospital saving dying kids. That sort of behavior is not acceptable, not tolerable, and must be dealt with harshly.

That aside, I also don't care about football relative to these accusations. I don't care what Fulmer did and said, this is about something far more important. If this was a coach and institution I highly respected, I would feel no different. Part of the problem as I see it, at UT, at FSU, at Penn State is everyone viewed it through the prism of football. This is above and beyond anything to do with football and deals with being decent civilized human beings. More will come out about this I'm sure, and then I can better evaluate the situation but to be honest in some ways I'm also numb when it comes to this situation. It's just unconscionable that people can behave this way, and I don't care if it's the pope or a homeless guy that behaved this way, my expectations and standards are such that everyone who does this deserves to meet the same fate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.