Sweeping Sexual Assault Filed against the Univ. of Tennessee

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I haven't seen this where he changed the story either. Do you have a link?
I really thought that I read that, but I just spent an hour trying to find it and came up empty. I must have mis-remembered.

My apologies to everyone for the confusion.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I really thought that I read that, but I just spent an hour trying to find it and came up empty. I must have mis-remembered.

No apology necessary. I hate you spent that much time. In the future if I ask for something and it's not readily available, forget about it.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Oh you're not the only one. I've seen it repeated on Twitter ad nauseam by UT fans and a couple of bloggers. Not sure where the rumor came from but it's definitely out there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No apology necessary. I hate you spent that much time. In the future if I ask for something and it's not readily available, forget about it.
I posted it in this thread and felt responsible for any possible confusion. I am just sitting here watching the combine today anyway (day off). But thanks for understanding.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

I read the same thing, first that a player said it, then later that CBJ said it...in an article, maybe linked in one of kyallie's blogs...two or three days ago, maybe...they say that the memory is the second thing to go with age...I don't remember what the first thing was...:conf2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

EXCLUSIVE: How a University of Tennessee insider turned on a program she once loved

In the spring of 2011, Wright received a report that a female student had been sexually assaulted by a football player. She interviewed the player and witnesses, including members of the football team who had been in the same apartment where the alleged assault took place.

What struck her as strange was the stories of players told were exactly the same, as if they had memorized a script.

"It got to the point where it was humorous," she said. "By the third interview, I was in disbelief. It's not uncommon for individuals to get together and make sure their stories are straight, but the level of details — that they were using the exact same words, word for word — made it seem so well orchestrated and remarkable."

When Wright interviewed the woman's roommates, they told Wright that members of the athletic department had already asked them questions. The woman decided not to go through the process any further, telling Wright she felt intimidated and that the process was dragging out too long.

"We found out after the fact that the athletic department did their own investigation," she said. "They interviewed the woman’s roommates. It's one thing to talk to their own guys and say, 'what happened?', but to reach out to people not from their team and do interviews, that’s just not OK."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is there like a college football rapist organization or something? Seems like the same basic tactics that FSU used. Make sure all the football players get their story straight after the rape... the fact that the powers that be in relation to the football team itself always seem involved (and never on behalf of the victim) is extremely troubling.
Don't forget where Dave Hart was prior to coming to Alabama.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was having dinner last night with two friends who are both UT fans. One seems to think this will all be swept under the rug. The other thinks UT should be brought to justice.

I don't see this many allegations getting swept under the rug. I think Mack Crowder, the offensive lineman who was part of the child sex sting, is due in court tomorrow.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The Tennessean article is very disturbing but, unfortunately, not surprising in today's world of multi-million dollar college football industry.

I hope UT is buried for this but, part of me thinks that if FSU can get away with protecting rapists, so can UcheaT.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

UT Coach Butch Jones made calls to Knoxville police, Drae Bowles on day A.J. Johnson rape reported

Phone logs released by the University of Tennessee show head football coach Butch Jones made phone calls to A.J. Johnson and Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch on the morning A.J. Johnson was accused of raping a 19-year-old woman.

Knoxville Police Department said the woman reported being raped by University of Tennessee football players A.J. Johnson and Michael Williams at a large gathering at The Woodlands Apartment Complex in South Knoxville on November 16, 2015. Phone logs show Jones received a call from Sam Brown, the liaison between the Knoxville Police Department and the University of Tennessee Football program. Directly after getting off the phone with Brown, Jones called Johnson then Brown. Minutes later, Knoxville Police Department Chief David Rausch called Jones.

Jones also had four conversations with Athletic Director Dave Hart and several calls with Drae Bowles, who is listed in the sexual assault lawsuit against the university as a player who was allegedly assaulted by his teammates for standing up for the alleged rape victim.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If the NCAA didn't do anything to Florida State, they won't do anything to UTe.

They'll leave it to the court system, which did nail some Vandy players last year. But this is UTe, not Vandy, and I'm assuming the legal proceedings are in Knoxville. So unless there's something way beyond "he said....she said"'(on the sexual assault) and "he said....he said" (Bowles vs. Jones), I don't see anything happening there either.

The subpoena and resulting threat of perjury was once a powerful weapon. Still can be. But so many people lie to the authorities and get away with it, I don't think even that carries the weight it once did.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

They'll leave it to the court system, which did nail some Vandy players last year. But this is UTe, not Vandy, and I'm assuming the legal proceedings are in Knoxville. So unless there's something way beyond "he said....she said"'(on the sexual assault) and "he said....he said" (Bowles vs. Jones), I don't see anything happening there either.

The subpoena and resulting threat of perjury was once a powerful weapon. Still can be. But so many people lie to the authorities and get away with it, I don't think even that carries the weight it once did.
Well said, brother...

I spend my days dealing w those lies, yet am still astonished at the extent to which, for so many people, taking an oath to tell the truth means absolutely nothing...

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
Well said, brother...

I spend my days dealing w those lies, yet am still astonished at the extent to which, for so many people, taking an oath to tell the truth means absolutely nothing...
Agree with this as well. I know a young lady in a powerful advising position who lied under oath flat out. Other people know as well and they let it go.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The NCAA couldn't do anything to Florida State. That was out of its jurisdiction AFAIK.

Nope. It's in Nashville. A judge denied UT's request to move the case to Knoxville this week.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd say one key difference is that while we knew what was going on with FSU they did a good job of covering their tracks. One big difference of course is everyone covered up for Winston. We'll see how this goes, but in the very least we are seeing how this is done and hopefully it provides a better way to combat it in the future. These programs simply can't be allowed to get away with covering up for rapists.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
FSU had a great deal of "help" from the local police. Tennessee? I think that is the question. Is it too late or has the system buried it. I would say it has.

Why is lying so accepted now? Our society accepts it, from FSU's, HC's, AD's and recruits. If you pay attention EVERY political candidate lies. Even our so-called News Media tells lies when it fits their agenda. We are surrounded by lies at every hand, including (I am sad to say) preachers and churches. We may as well get used to it, it is not going away. The problem is not sports, religion or politics. The problem is our society accepts lying (and it's little brother PC) as a rule.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
FSU had a great deal of "help" from the local police. Tennessee? I think that is the question. Is it too late or has the system buried it. I would say it has.

Why is lying so accepted now? Our society accepts it, from FSU's, HC's, AD's and recruits. If you pay attention EVERY political candidate lies. Even our so-called News Media tells lies when it fits their agenda. We are surrounded by lies at every hand, including (I am sad to say) preachers and churches. We may as well get used to it, it is not going away. The problem is not sports, religion or politics. The problem is our society accepts lying (and it's little brother PC) as a rule.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
"Knoxville Police Department said the woman reported being raped by University of Tennessee football players A.J. Johnson and Michael Williams at a large gathering at The Woodlands Apartment Complex in South Knoxville on November 16, 2015. Phone logs show Jones received a call from Sam Brown, the liaison between the Knoxville Police Department and the University of Tennessee Football program. Directly after getting off the phone with Brown, Jones called Johnson then Brown. Minutes later, Knoxville Police Department Chief David Rausch called Jones."

----------------

Is this just poorly worded or am I the only one that finds this somewhat strange? I can see the Knoxville Police having a "liaison" between the University or even the Athletic Department. But does anyone else find it weird that they would call him a "liaison to the football program"? Maybe I'm just looking for something.

I did google "Sam Brown Knoxville Police". This article popped up. Seems Mr. Brown also provides security for Jones and the coaches on game day. Hmmm...I seem to recall the Tallahassee Police having a heavy involvement with game operations at FSU.

No possibly of any bias here....
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/from-p...ects-vols-coaches-ep-510409268-355480701.html

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.