Sweeping Sexual Assault Filed against the Univ. of Tennessee

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
According to a statement from Rausch, with my emphasis:

When we investigate an alleged crime involving an athlete at UT, as a professional courtesy, our long standing practice has been that we alert the head Coach and staff. At no time is any information shared with the university that would hinder or jeopardize any investigation. The purpose of the notification is due to the scrutiny these events bring to allow appropriate time to prepare responses to the various interests. Our paramount concern at KPD is to the victims and their families and to assure them that we will utilize every resource available to conduct a thorough and comprehensive investigation. That is our commitment to all citizens that we serve.[/B]

One of the best ways to hinder an investigation is to let the subject know he or she is under investigation before you want them to. There's a nine-hour gap between Jones calling Johnson and the cops searching Johnson's apartment. That isn't professional courtesy. It's, at best, a sloppy investigation.

If you're part of law enforcement at any level, you should hate sloppy investigations. They're how strong cases get punctured, and they're how meritless cases linger without resolutions. Sloppy investigations are bad for victims, who don't get justice, and they're bad for those who are falsely accused.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...nessee-volunteers-football-butch-jones-police

I seem to remember sloppy police work being blamed (by prosecutors) at Florida State in all their cases.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Police courtesy calls to Tennessee's Butch Jones 'could violate state law'

University of Tennessee football players A.J. Johnson and Michael Williams didn’t learn from police they were under investigation for rape the way most suspects do.

Instead, the players first heard the news from their Tennessee football coaches — in Johnson’s case, four hours before police showed up at the scene of the alleged crime to question him, according to sources and cell phone records obtained by The Tennessean.

Contrary to police best practices, potentially threatening the integrity of the investigation and in possible violation of state law, Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch and a detective made “professional courtesy” calls to Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones about the investigation — a practice Rausch says is common when police investigate alleged crimes involving an athlete at Tennessee.

Courtesy calls from police to prominent individuals and major institutions in a community are common, but typically not done in the initial stages of an investigation. Concerns arise if details about an investigation are shared before an arrest is made, which can hinder a case.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not really related to Tennessee, but Pat Summitt's son has been fired as women's coach at Louisiana Tech for having an affair with one of his players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
There is a perfect video production company close to ut that could produce a documentary on why this is happening to them.

Driving directions
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996

Head east on Cumberland Ave toward Estabrook Rd
0.2 mi
Turn left onto Henley St
0.4 mi
Continue onto Broadway SW
0.8 mi
Turn right onto N Central St
213 ft
Turn left onto 3rd Ave
0.2 mi
Turn right onto Luttrell St

Destination will be on the left
236 ft

Karma Inc.
614 Luttrell Street, Knoxville, TN 37917

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It always makes me mad when the Establishment comes up with cute little names for their graft, corruption and special treatment. In this case the Special Treatment for UT is called "courtesy". I would bet money that these courtesy calls were bought and paid for with free tickets and other "courtesy" bribes.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Within limits, I actually don't have a problem with these calls. I know they took place in Tuscaloosa when I was in school, and wouldn't be surprised if some of that still goes on. Back then, the UAPD would even give "over-served" regular students (i.e., non-athletes) a ride home.

But an accusation of rape is way beyond those limits.

I'd like to say, "Let the police exercise professional judgment." But the world in general, and police in particular, seem to be wholly incapable of consistently using common sense.

So my suggestion would be the dividing line between misdemeanor and felony, with qualifiers of injury to another person and frequency of offense. If the incident is a misdemeanor, and nobody got hurt, and you've never done anything like this before, we'll make an anonymous call.

If it's a felony, or if somebody got hurt (even if it was just a bruise), or if we've seen you in the past, your ?$():& is ours.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think if a student is arrested for something, it is OK to call the university and let them know so they can prepare for the media firestorm that is about to happen, especially if it is a member of the football team. But if they are just turning the student and the investigation over to university police, that is a problem if it is a major crime. (i.e. something more than being publicly drunk).

I used to live in Knoxville and this reminds me of an interview I heard on the local sports talk show I heard with Don DeVoe. He was the former UT basketball coach who was then the coach at Navy. He said the best thing about being at Navy was he never got woken up in the middle of the night by a phone call.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

'List' of Lawyers Given to Tennessee Athletes Raises Questions

Weeks after a sexual assault lawsuit was filed against University of Tennessee, Athletics Director Dave Hart responded to questions about whether school officials facilitated lawyers for athletes accused of a crime.

"We don't engage in putting them in touch with anybody, we may point to, just like you would in a phone book or list, that's all," he said.

The list Hart referenced, obtained by The Tennessean through a public records request, is a single sheet of paper with the names and office phone numbers of six Knoxville attorneys.

All six attorneys are University of Tennessee College of Law graduates. Most have direct ties to the athletics department. One is a prominent booster. Another is a football color commentator for the university’s television and radio network. Two have served on the athletics board. Three have served as adjunct professors or university lecturers. Two of the attorneys have long track records of representing student athletes and coaches that stretches back more than a decade.

The list was prepared specifically for student-athletes "after an education discussion on decision making," according to Ryan Robinson, UT's senior associate athletics director for communications.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.