Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
These are cropping up all over the nation right now...Title IX suits, etc.

I'm taking the "glasshouse" approach for now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree - this is happening everywhere, and has been for a long time. It is clearly worse in some places than others. Where TN (or OSU, for that matter) lies in that spectrum, I have no idea.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not sure why Alabama - the state - has been relatively quiet in this developing movement to push schools to think less about PR and be aggressive against sexual assault. But I am seeing that the campus' social justice movement starting to gain some ground over the last school year, so I think it is a matter of time before a segment of the student body butt heads with the administration.

I get UAPD emails all the time at work and I believe there has been only one reported sexual assault on campus over the last year or so. That just seems statistically improbable for the age group and alcohol/drug use on or around the campus. So I'm just saying...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'll say this, and you can throw all the rocks you want. If any institution actively covers up or hinders the prosecution of rape as a matter of policy - written or unwritten - I don't care if they torch the place, bury the embers, and salt the earth.

*edit - not saying who is and isn't guilty, just putting my position out in the open...

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Right, under the title they are supposed to treat it with urgency and diligence, if you can prove they didn't, lawsuit. The schools may end up having to dedicate a department solely for this if it gets out of hand.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'll say this, and you can throw all the rocks you want. If any institution actively covers up or hinders the prosecution of rape as a matter of policy - written or unwritten - I don't care if they torch the place, bury the embers, and salt the earth.
And that's very fair too. I would be disgusted if a coordinated system from the administration hindered justice for victims existed in Tuscaloosa. I don't think that is likely the University's risk factor with sexual assault.

The problem most institutions face is student organizations "protecting their own kind" from scrutiny. And that is problem any place where they have strong student organizations - Ivy League, State U, Secular, Non-secular - it doesn't matter.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
10RC's problems are compounded by the prevailing legal system:

Tennessee is the only state in the country to use such an administrative hearing process, according to the lawsuit. The lawsuit claims that UT student-athletes frequently hired prominent Knoxville attorney Don Bosch to represent them in their administrative hearings.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

*edit - not saying who is and isn't guilty, just putting my position out in the open...
If this what happened I don't see this as too much different than the Penn State situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The question I have to ask myself with this type of lawsuit is this: Is this a legitimate problem (specifically speaking at this school) or is this part of the wider effort to bias the process in favor of the plaintiff by removing due process protections against the accused? I ask myself this because that is the general direction that has been given to schools under Title IX by the Dep. of Ed. While I want rapist scum punished as severely as possible and I want women protected from predators, I also want due process protections for the accused and consider that a "must" in order to protect the innocent and provide a valid and constitutionally sound process with sound results.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Any guy who has sex with a girl by taking advantage of her drunk or drug induced state of mind, risks being prosecuted. I say this as the father of two teen-aged boys, one in college now.

Just as a 15 year old girl cannot legally give consent, neither can a girl passed out on your couch, or so drunk that she might as well be passed out. Decide to have sex with a girl in that state, you had better pray that she doesn't press charges. The world is changing, and it is no longer okay to take advantage of a girl when she is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think most of the problem is probably guys not wanting to hear "no".
I'm sure that is true but let me tell you something my wife said while we were a couple blocks from Bryan-Denny. This girl (student we assumed) jogged by us in the tightest, shortest short shorts you can imagine and a top that was made to show off her boobs and I mean really show them off. My wife said, "She is inviting rape and assault. Does she not realize every man out here is focused on her? We don't know how many of these men are looking at her and thinking how can they get here alone."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sure that is true but let me tell you something my wife said while we were a couple blocks from Bryan-Denny. This girl (student we assumed) jogged by us in the tightest, shortest short shorts you can imagine and a top that was made to show off her boobs and I mean really show them off. My wife said, "She is inviting rape and assault. Does she not realize every man out here is focused on her? We don't know how many of these men are looking at her and thinking how can they get here alone."
I run and wear very little when I do. Most of the women that I know who run do the same. Trust me - we are not trying to attract the attention of the opposite sex when we do so.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I know it is bad, But some of the problem is the way the young woman on campus portray themselves.
Look, this may not be the place to get into this, but the "They had it coming because of how they dress" argument isn't gonna fly.

As a matter of PERSONAL taste, I think girls should dress modestly. As an objective citizen, it shouldn't matter what they wear or how they portray themselves - no girl, no matter how she is dressed, is inviting rape.

I understand the logic behind this idea...I can use common sense to figure out why it could be a factor, and I'm a male, I see the same things that all men do.....but it's never an invitation, an excuse, a reason, a cause.....the victim is not responsible for their own rape because of how they portray themselves.

Obviously it's a very complicated issue with many sides and variables and outcomes and motivations and yes- even potentially lies involved in a single case. But no girl deserves rape. Not one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.