Link: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold Up!"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

I agree with you. What gets my goat is when the B1G commissioner starts running his mouth about black shirts, warm weather bowls, cheating schools and all the other false crap he spews out. Now if he were to say the SEC office looks the other way on cheating I would have to agree with him, because it appears to me to be, we see nothing, we hear nothing and we know nothing." I could do a better job looking into Cam and now Old Miss and I don't even have a magnifying glass.
I don't know anyone who thinks well of our commissioner. Delaney has been making excuses for as long as he has been here. The reality - for us to win, we needed better coaches.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

I am surprised that the B1G hasn't stepped in to stop this. It seems that every year we (the B1G) slip further and further away from our intent to preserve learning above winning.

The Ivy League schools had it right decades ago. You can't hold on to both as a top priority.
There are several IVY league schools you can align yourself with......I'd suggest Harvard --- since you have an attraction to Crimson.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Harbaugh is looking for every loophole, nook and cranny to exploit.
I don't like UM, but not sure that I fault him for his efforts. They have a lot of ground to make up, and he wants to win NOW. The Harbaughs definitely don't like to lose.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

There are several IVY league schools you can align yourself with......I'd suggest Harvard --- since you have an attraction to Crimson.
If I had to have OSU swing one way or the other, it would be this way. I went to OSU because of its great reputation as a place of higher learning far more than football. I grew to love Buckeye football as a student.

But this is not going to happen. Too much of our recent booster donations have been tied to our football program. At OSU, things have really shifted.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

If I had to have OSU swing one way or the other, it would be this way. I went to OSU because of its great reputation as a place of higher learning far more than football. I grew to love Buckeye football as a student.

But this is not going to happen. Too much of our recent booster donations have been tied to our football program. At OSU, things have really shifted.
Nash, that's a cop out, you can't have it both ways. If you want "learning over football" -- you can't continue as a tOSU fan.....gotta go Ivy League -- sorry, no turning back, you have to go.....otherwise, you will look like a big 'crit......

Harvard has history -- plus they are Crimson -- sounds like a great fit for you.

If you stick with tOSU, you will be branded as a "football over learning" tag..... it will suck, go Crimson!

;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Nash, that's a cop out, you can't have it both ways. If you want "learning over football" -- you can't continue as a tOSU fan.....gotta go Ivy League -- sorry, no turning back, you have to go.....otherwise, you will look like a big 'crit......

Harvard has history -- plus they are Crimson -- sounds like a great fit for you.

If you stick with tOSU, you will be branded as a "football over learning" tag..... it will suck, go Crimson!

;)
As long as neither the education or the enrollment requirements are diminished, I'll continue to support our football program. There is a line that I am not prepared to cross, though. For instance, had we not fired Tressel (some wanted to keep him on in a non-football capacity), I would have stopped all of my donations immediately.

We're not Harvard - never will be.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

It is BS to take away students off-time for a recruiting stunt.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

At least Ohio State doesn't sell themselves as "public ivy" like Michigan. It is amazing how quick Blue's loser argument was laid to rest when they hired Harbaugh.

One less fanbase we have to hear about the ethics of 'crootin and 'demics from...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

I am surprised that the B1G hasn't stepped in to stop this. It seems that every year we (the B1G) slip further and further away from our intent to preserve learning above winning.

The Ivy League schools had it right decades ago. You can't hold on to both as a top priority.
Your holier than thou attitude is why everyone despises the Big 10.

But hey, thank you for blessing us peons with your presence.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA

I don't have a problem with this on the surface. As long as they don't exceed the allowed amount of practice time why does it matter WHERE they practice? All the schools located in Florida are going to practice in Florida, why can't others? The problem I see is how are they going to enforce the practice limits? So they go to Florida and are only allowed to practice for 4 hours each day, what are they going to be doing the rest of the time? Sleep? They 'aint gonna be partying. To much temptation to cheat.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Your holier than thou attitude is why everyone despises the Big 10.

But hey, thank you for blessing us peons with your presence.

You think that I personally have a holier than thou attitude?

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN

Some of the responses to his tweet are pretty good! People throwing it back in Harbaugh's face with some of his whining!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

I know a sure way to put an end to this. Alabama can take the team to Hawaii for Spring Practice and be sure to make it known to all future recruits. We'll see who whines then.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I know a sure way to put an end to this. Alabama can take the team to Hawaii for Spring Practice and be sure to make it known to all future recruits. We'll see who whines then.
It's not about taking the players to a nice destination. The IMG Academy is home to 247's #1 recruit in 2017 and three of the top 100 recruits. Think the coaching staff won't be recruiting?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Ah, I see. Thanks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Just take a moment and reread your initial comment. Then think about the implications and the comparisons.
My comment wasn't intended to place my school or conference above any other. I have never done that - here or anyplace in my life. I don't give a hoot about the B1G - only OSU.

Do I think that OSU is one of the best schools in the country. Absolutely. It's called school pride. But do I think any less of Alabama or Auburn? No. I don't look down my nose at anyone. Any school. Any football program. Anything. I don't like Michigan or Notre Dame, but I respect them.

My reference to the Ivy League schools was about their decision to leave FBS because of the conflicts that it created with their #1 goal - educating their students.

Frankly, if you guys haven't figured this out about me by now, you never will.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

Is this an EXTRA BENEFIT that his players would be getting? I don't like this at all. Is this because he can't find any quality players in Michigan?

If this is an EXTRA BENEFIT, then other schools should be able to provide players with EXTRA $cash$!!!!!!!
I agree. This will become a slippery slope and will become an extra benefit at some point. You have provided what amounts to a bowl game type experience with no opponent: practice for a couple of hours each day, have some media obligations, rest of the time the players are free to enjoy themselves in tropical-type environment. All of this without worrying about the cost of airfare there, transportation while there, lodging or food. Whereas, the players at the rest of the schools will either stay at school or go home for the week because that can't afford a Spring Break trip. Those that can put the money together will go the Spring Break hangouts with the other students.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The Ivy League does not participate in the FCS playoffs (and has a ten game schedule) because they believe it interferes with school. However, for some reason, they participate in the NCAA basketball tournament and every other postseason sport the league sponsors. And they sponsor a lot of sports.

As for the original topic, this really doesn't bother me much.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

My comment wasn't intended to place my school or conference above any other. I have never done that - here or anyplace in my life. I don't give a hoot about the B1G - only OSU.

Do I think that OSU is one of the best schools in the country. Absolutely. It's called school pride. But do I think any less of Alabama or Auburn? No. I don't look down my nose at anyone. Any school. Any football program. Anything. I don't like Michigan or Notre Dame, but I respect them.

My reference to the Ivy League schools was about their decision to leave FBS because of the conflicts that it created with their #1 goal - educating their students.

Frankly, if you guys haven't figured this out about me by now, you never will.
you don't look down your nose at auburn? you're skating on thin ice mister

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.