Link: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold Up!"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

The Ivy League does not participate in the FCS playoffs (and has a ten game schedule) because they believe it interferes with school. However, for some reason, they participate in the NCAA basketball tournament and every other postseason sport the league sponsors. And they sponsor a lot of sports.

As for the original topic, this really doesn't bother me much.
I remember reading once that the difference in their minds at the time was that football was beginning to influence decisions made within the schools, so they opted out.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

The Ivy League does not participate in the FCS playoffs (and has a ten game schedule) because they believe it interferes with school. However, for some reason, they participate in the NCAA basketball tournament and every other postseason sport the league sponsors. And they sponsor a lot of sports.

As for the original topic, this really doesn't bother me much.
They recognized in the early going how much football was being driven (or driving?) by big money. None of the other sports were that way, though basketball has largely went in that direction over the last 30 years.

As for Harbaugh, he is wound way too tight and while I believe he'll have Michigan winning big again, I think he's going to burn out fairly quickly and be back in the NFL after a few seasons. His antics are making waves now, but I think they'll start to get old at some point. I also do not think this is a good direction to go in (having spring practice off campus, during spring break).

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Maybe we can take the "A" day game on the road to wolverine land and let the high school players there see a real football team. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Do you think the NCAA or Michigan would have something to say if Bama decided it was going to take the football team to Hawaii for a week of spring practice?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Do you think the NCAA or Michigan would have something to say if Bama decided it was going to take the football team to Hawaii for a week of spring practice?

The whole point of them going to Florida seems to be to expose the program to a recruiting hotbed rather than giving a free trip to the players.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I know it's for recruiting but this is still an illegal benefit is it not? I doubt players will pay their own way.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

The whole point of them going to Florida seems to be to expose the program to a recruiting hotbed rather than giving a free trip to the players.
It seems to me if a school can get exposure to a new recruiting area by doing something extra-special nice for it's current players...that's having your cake and eating it too. Cleverly devious :). I'm like the other guys, let Saban mention spring practice in Hawaii and just watch everybody come unglued.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I don't think too many people will believe that is the real reason anymore than if Saban said he wanted to expose Hawaii to the Crimson Tide.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I know it's for recruiting but this is still an illegal benefit is it not? I doubt players will pay their own way.
I remember when Curry was Bama's coach he arranged to take the team members to the funeral of a Bama player. At first the NCAA said it was a violation. They later changed their minds. Surely, they should have a problem with Michigan.The NCAA frowns upon teams getting an unfair advantage over other teams. Some teams probably cannot afford such a trip.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The big question I have is whether Michigan finds some way to turn this into a glorified beach vacation for the team and recruiting trawl for the staff...and how they "creatively" find ways to still duplicate a similar amount of practice time that a non-vacay spring practice would have. This is the concern to me, I don't know if it is a bridge too far but it definitely on it's way.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Tell harbough he can have his "southern excursion" but only if he keeps it to either Kentucky or tenneessee. LA, bama, ga, Carolina, and Florida are off limits.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

And to think our "Fax Girl" on Signing Day was hammered with complaints from rival schools..LOL..Seriously though what's good for the goose is good for the gander, lets take our Spring Practice or A-Day Game on the road, to recruiting hotbeds around the Nation like Texas, Sunny California, Florida, the New Jersey area & right on up in Big 10 Country in Michigan or Ohio(cause they are recruiting hotbeds there)..

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

And to think our "Fax Girl" on Signing Day was hammered with complaints from rival schools..LOL..Seriously though what's good for the goose is good for the gander, lets take our Spring Practice or A-Day Game on the road, to recruiting hotbeds around the Nation like Texas, Sunny California, Florida, the New Jersey area & right on up in Big 10 Country in Michigan or Ohio(cause they are recruiting hotbeds there)..
She could make any recruit think about changing their commitment!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The thing is no one wants to go anywhere but Florida or California. Nobody is going to take a road trip to Michigan or Ohio in early Spring.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The thing is no one wants to go anywhere but Florida or California. Nobody is going to take a road trip to Michigan or Ohio in early Spring.
Exactly. Many are missing the point here. Between this and his summer camp tour, he's going straight toward the recruiting hotbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Nobody is going to take their kids somewhere that is bad for morale, so sunny places with some beaches near by are the only real option. Just so happens these places are high population areas with significant high school football within them.

So some snowbound school comes down here to give their kids a treat and get their faces out in front of HS coaches and players in the area...while the teams in these areas have no motivation at all to return the favor because it would be like giving your team a spring trip to Shreveport.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I guess what I'm saying that in the abstract this is as much of an issue for Florida schools and the SEC/ACC as it is for California schools and the Pac-12...maybe even Texas schools and the Big-12. The Big Ten is in an enviable position of offering little that is both a morale booster for another conference's team and a fertile recruiting opportunity.

And if we're playing the fairness game, it should be stopped.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007

My comment wasn't intended to place my school or conference above any other. I have never done that - here or anyplace in my life. I don't give a hoot about the B1G - only OSU.

Do I think that OSU is one of the best schools in the country. Absolutely. It's called school pride. But do I think any less of Alabama or Auburn? No. I don't look down my nose at anyone. Any school. Any football program. Anything. I don't like Michigan or Notre Dame, but I respect them.

My reference to the Ivy League schools was about their decision to leave FBS because of the conflicts that it created with their #1 goal - educating their students.

Frankly, if you guys haven't figured this out about me by now, you never will.
I always seem to agree with everything you say here, B1G. Never been that fond of OSU, going back to my days in the MD drumline the year (1986 I think) when we played you guys in New York (well actually East-Rutherford, NJ) for the kick-off classic.

Your posts always seem to be very fair and objective. Was always curious how you could be devoted to both OSU and BAMA...but you really seem sincere. Also, we have the hatred of Michigan and Notre Dame in common!!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I always seem to agree with everything you say here, B1G. Never been that fond of OSU, going back to my days in the MD drumline the year (1986 I think) when we played you guys in New York (well actually East-Rutherford, NJ) for the kick-off classic.

Your posts always seem to be very fair and objective. Was always curious how you could be devoted to both OSU and BAMA...but you really seem sincere. Also, we have the hatred of Michigan and Notre Dame in common!!
Hey, my wife and I were in the MDB for that game too.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Hey, my wife and I were in the MDB for that game too.
I was in the stands. I vividly remember being harassed by OSU fans (not in a manner I thought too outrageous, just things like "Bama sucks") as I pulled into the parking lot there. The game was a real nail-biter up until the end. I used to have that game on tape. I didn't hear too much from the OSU fans as I was leaving. IIRC, Derrick Thomas made that game very, very interesting on Bama's last defensive stand. Possibly one of those events that helped lead up to my quintuple bypass in '99.

Roll, National Champions, Roll!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.