Link: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold Up!"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold Up!"

Link

The SEC has asked the NCAA to prohibit college football teams from holding spring practice during spring break, commissioner Greg Sankey told CBS Sports on Tuesday.

The move is obviously a direct response to Michigan's recent announcement that it would conduct part of its spring practice at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said on National Signing Day that the Wolverines would begin practice at IMG during their spring break from Feb. 27 to March 6.

There is currently no NCAA rule prohibiting such a move.

One high-ranking source told CBS Sports that an effort similar to Michigan's will most likely be prohibited in the near future but a decision is not expected to be handed down in time to prevent the planned trip to Florida.

“Our primary reaction [is] that, in the face of the time-demand conversations, we've got one program taking what has been 'free time' away,” Sankey said. “Let's draw a line and say, ‘That's not appropriate.'"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

I am surprised that the B1G hasn't stepped in to stop this. It seems that every year we (the B1G) slip further and further away from our intent to preserve learning above winning.

The Ivy League schools had it right decades ago. You can't hold on to both as a top priority.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

It's going to be a recruiting tool until the NCAA stops it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

There are so many things I'd like to say to this, but I'm just not.

That's good, because if they align with typical SEC fan commentary they would be just as ignorant as the type of things that the typical B1G fans say about the SEC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yes, we have very little experience with that kind of ignorance here. If only we had a BIG Ten fan to demonstrate it.
Happy to help fill the void.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I don't think it is good to take away players' Spring Break but I also think this looks like sour grapes from the SEC.

There are players who probably want to go home or somewhere else during spring break. I would probably like it though; a few hours of practice and then free time in Florida.

I wonder how far the school can go as far as providing activities outside of football practice before they run into extra benefits issues.

Bama will fight back by scheduling spring break in Michigan.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's good, because if they align with typical SEC fan commentary they would be just as ignorant as the type of things that the typical B1G fans say about the SEC.
Really? It's like you forget this is a message board dedicated to a SEC team.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma

Maybe it was just a conference rule but I seem to remember that after the Junction Tx. training camp, a rule was put in banning off campus trainings. Again, it may have been in the old SW Conference only.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Harbaugh is looking for every loophole, nook and cranny to exploit.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I don't like it, but the only REAL reason I can complain about it (without being sour grapes) is doing it during Spring break. I think it's unfair to guys wanting to go home, and very inviting of trouble taking 100 kids to Florida that time of year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Is this an EXTRA BENEFIT that his players would be getting? I don't like this at all. Is this because he can't find any quality players in Michigan?

If this is an EXTRA BENEFIT, then other schools should be able to provide players with EXTRA $cash$!!!!!!!

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL

i assume the school would be paying for their way to FL? otherwise, it would seem to be an undue hardship on the player if they didn't have the money to get there...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Maybe if he's able to do this, he can bring that COLD/FRIGID weather to Florida. You know, the kind of weather that that RB, #37, didn't like!

JCase

1st Team
Jan 29, 2005
Portland, OR

What Sankey said:

“The net of that is to say the Southeastern Conference is not going to be outpaced in recruiting,” Sankey said. “If the national approach is that we want to have more aggressive summer camps and coaches touring around all summer, then we will not only engage in that behavior, we will certainly engage in that behavior more actively -- probably more effectively than others.”

What Sankey meant: Do you really want us to unleash Saban?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Maybe if he's able to do this, he can bring that COLD/FRIGID weather to Florida. You know, the kind of weather that that RB, #37, didn't like!
All his recruits will see what they missed out on for going or staying up north. Weather wise anyway. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Really? It's like you forget this is a message board dedicated to a SEC team.
I have never minded hearing fair criticism of the B1G or OSU.

Last edited:

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US

Let them do it. I can't imagine he will be successful getting 100% focus from a bunch of college aged men on a free trip to the beach during spring break.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I have never minded hearing fair criticism of the B1G or OSU.
I agree with you. What gets my goat is when the B1G commissioner starts running his mouth about black shirts, warm weather bowls, cheating schools and all the other false crap he spews out. Now if he were to say the SEC office looks the other way on cheating I would have to agree with him, because it appears to me to be, we see nothing, we hear nothing and we know nothing." I could do a better job looking into Cam and now Old Miss and I don't even have a magnifying glass.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.