Link: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold Up!"

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

Florida's high school coaches are where Michigan fishes for staff, so this is the same as having college night in the state.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Harbaugh Wants to Have a Week of Michigan Spring Practice in FL; SEC Says "Hold U

If I had to have OSU swing one way or the other, it would be this way. I went to OSU because of its great reputation as a place of higher learning far more than football. I grew to love Buckeye football as a student.

But this is not going to happen. Too much of our recent booster donations have been tied to our football program. At OSU, things have really shifted.
I agree 100% with you. When Bama is caught cheating it makes me fighting mad that some IMMORAL, LOW CLASS scum of a booster thinks cheating is the way to go. I always get the "well, you have to lie" when I criticize AD's and HC's for lying. I do not agree that it is O.K. to lie to recruits, alumni and fans. It is NOT O.K. to cheat. It is not O.K. to lie just to protect your image or make it easy on yourself.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

You think that I personally have a holier than thou attitude?
I agreed 100% with you, so I guess I am Holier than You, LOL. Honestly I don't know why people read so much stuff into comments that are not there. Well, I guess if being against lying and cheating makes me holier than thou, then I am guilty.

I do not know the B1G rules but for many years there appeared to be a "gentlemen's agreement among the B1G coaches about recruiting. There was not black shirt rule but mostly it was avoided. There was no stealing recruits who had already committed. When Urban actively recruited players who had committed to other schools I remember other B1G coaches saying they did not want to be "like the SEC." So, yes, I understand your comment as being factual and not a made up "holier than thou" fantasy. And I do appear the B1G is slowly becoming what they used to hate.

Last edited:

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Not only should the SEC teams have a bad taste about this, the BIG10 teams should be yelling "What the hey!" Like UM needs any more of an advantage, within the BIG10 at any rate. Granted, they've gone through some tough times as of late, but this seems to be really pushing the envelope. This is my opinion, of course, which means diddly-squat, but this must be considered an unfair advantage in recruiting for the Wolverines. Has OSU's CUM even remarked on this? He would seem to be the most likely candidate to protest this seemingly inappropriate activity.

Roll, National Champions, Roll!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

As an aside. Has anyone taken notice how awkwardly weird Jim Harbaugh is? He did an interview last year with Colin Cowherd that was a train wreck. They did a follow up interview a week or so ago trying to "make up" for the awkward interview last year. Though this one was better, it still was painfully obvious (to me at least) that Jim Harbaugh has some sort of disorder. It's like the guy zones in and out of the conversation and cannot stay focused on what's being said. I got the impression (along with other interviews I've seen him do) that he'll disengage from the conversation then re-enter a few seconds later and have this look on his face like he was just dropped from an airplane onto a strange island and he's just taken the blind fold off. Very, very weird dude.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

As an aside. Has anyone taken notice how awkwardly weird Jim Harbaugh is? He did an interview last year with Colin Cowherd that was a train wreck. They did a follow up interview a week or so ago trying to "make up" for the awkward interview last year. Though this one was better, it still was painfully obvious (to me at least) that Jim Harbaugh has some sort of disorder. It's like the guy zones in and out of the conversation and cannot stay focused on what's being said. I got the impression (along with other interviews I've seen him do) that he'll disengage from the conversation then re-enter a few seconds later and have this look on his face like he was just dropped from an airplane onto a strange island and he's just taken the blind fold off. Very, very weird dude.
That's why I think he burns out at Michigan pretty quickly.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I was listening to a radio show this morning that basically echo my thoughts on this issue: Michigan having spring practice in Florida basically boils down to an extra benefit to the Michigan players. It's an all expense paid vacation that Michigan can use in their pitch to recruits. My fear is that this will turn into an arms race. What would stop Alabama from having spring practice on a beach in California? It's not intimidating from Alabama's perspective (because Alabama could win an "arms race" against any university) however, it just creates a slippery slope of allowing extra benefits. Where would you draw the line in terms of what the university could pay for during this "spring practice." Michigan was talking about taking their players to amusement parks after practice. There's nothing wrong with that, but again, where do you draw the line as far as the extra benefits are concerned?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Well, Alabama's managed to win big and graduate players and maintain the University's commitment to academic excellence--and strengthen it. But if some of you want to worship at the idol of the BIG Ten, don't let me stop you.
Yeah, there seems to be this odd idea by some that a school can only attain excellence in one area.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Well, Alabama's managed to win big and graduate players and maintain the University's commitment to academic excellence--and strengthen it. But if some of you want to worship at the idol of the BIG Ten, don't let me stop you.
Yeah, there seems to be this odd idea by some that a school can only attain excellence in one area.

No, you guys are simply too defensive about my comment. I explained it one way, but let me try another.

Different schools have different admissions standards. Stanford has the highest standard in FBS. They refuse to cave, even if it means missing out on a lot of players. I admire that, but I don't think more of Stanford than my alma mater because of it.

I don't want to discuss B1G vs anyone because I only care about one school in the B1G - OSU. Ohio State sacrificed its integrity for the sake of football during the Tressel era. More recently, we have changed our recruiting policies to make Meyer happy. And now Meyer and our biggest boosters are placing pressure on the administration to lower admission standards for athletes.

Tell me - if Alabama did this, would you be happy? Things like this - they are what concern me.

I don't know or care how Alabama's admission standards compare to OSU's. Saban has done a better job of graduating players than either Meyer or Tressel at OSU. He is also doing a better of turning boys into men. But if Saban started doing things like Meyer has at OSU, I don't think that you guys would be happy. You love football, but you clearly love your University.

It is absolutely possible to excel at both - Notre Dame did it for decades. But for some reason, OSU seems to be willing to consider lowering our standards to win at football. For some reason, they don't think that they can do both. This is not an Alabama problem, it is an OSU problem (and clearly a UM problem, too).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's an odd guy. No doubt about it.

My dad was listening to the radio a few months back and heard a reporter give two examples of it while discussing a profile he wrote on Harbaugh.

First, he and the family were going somewhere one day. After they all go in the car to leave, he didn't do anything. His wife had to get his attention because he was so consumed about something with the team.

Second, he was running late for practice one day but became so enamored with a crossing guard's ability to direct traffic he pulled into a parking lot and watched her for 30 minutes.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Whoa, sounds similar to traits I have seen in a relative who has severe OCD.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

He's an odd guy. No doubt about it.

My dad was listening to the radio a few months back and heard a reporter give two examples of it while discussing a profile he wrote on Harbaugh.

First, he and the family were going somewhere one day. After they all go in the car to leave, he didn't do anything. His wife had to get his attention because he was so consumed about something with the team.

Second, he was running late for practice one day but became so enamored with a crossing guard's ability to direct traffic he pulled into a parking lot and watched her for 30 minutes.
Yeah, I've heard the first one but the second one I haven't. Did you hear the one that was reported on the NFL Network when the situation in S.F. was falling apart? Report was he showed up at the GM's door at like 6:00 in the morning banging on his door about something that was so menial but in Harbaugh's mind (because he'd been obsessing over it) had to be dealt with "right now". Absolutely nuts.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Any advantage Harbaugh gains won't last long. Other power programs will not sit idly while this clown gets players they also want with his stunts. Better be VERY careful, Jim. The OSUmw's, USCw's, Alabama's, etc. of the college football world will make you regret opening this particular Pandoras box.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA

I agree with those who contend Michigan's actions amount to an extra benefit for the players. To clarify... Suppose the Alabama AD announced that starting in 2017, all Alabama football players will have the option to take a spring-break all-expenses-paid one-week trip to Hawaii... or Bahamas or whatever. (Of COURSE they'll practice some football while there...) If the NCAA would be OK with this, then I suppose I have no gripe with Michigan's action. If the NCAA would perceive it as an extra benefit, then I don't see how they can ignore Michigan's actions.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

It seems to me that taking the entire football team to Tampa for Spring Break would be against NCAA rules.

After all, the normal Michigan student isn't offered this same benefit...:cool2:

Sidenote: As expensive as it is to take an entire team for a week anywhere, I don't see Meechegun staying with this for very long anyways.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yesterday, Harbaugh coached first base for the Detroit Tigers during a spring training game since the game was close to IMG.

Apparently, the entire team went to the game. Rick Neuheisel has a problem with that. Audio here

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

It seems to me that taking the entire football team to Tampa for Spring Break would be against NCAA rules.

After all, the normal Michigan student isn't offered this same benefit...:cool2:

Sidenote: As expensive as it is to take an entire team for a week anywhere, I don't see Meechegun staying with this for very long anyways.
Totally agree - how can this NOT be an impermissible benefit under NCAA rules?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

The benefits will probably not outweigh the costs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.