What did you give up for Lent?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i grew up southern baptist in rural alabama, we were supposed to be miserable 365 days a year, not just 40 ;) . i didn't even know what lent was until my 30s.
That reminds me of an old Dave Gardner joke:

"You know what those Catholics can do that us Baptists can't? Why they can take that country girl out in that car and REJOICE with her until early morning and then go confess!!!"

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Actually, Calvin believed in grace; There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.

However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts.

The torture of a bad conscience is the hell of a living soul.

You must be the only guiltless Presbyterian I've known. John Calvin invented guilt...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Actually, Calvin believed in grace; There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.

However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts.

The torture of a bad conscience is the hell of a living soul.
Hmm... I'm not going to pursue this, but I could never square the concepts of grace and that of predestination, which always seemed incompatible to me...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.