What did you give up for Lent?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i gave up nothing. this year, i will run every day during lent.

last year i quit biting my fingernails and never started back. i have been a compulsive/habitual fingernail biter my entire life

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Growing up Methodist in Mobile, Lent was hard. As a child, the most obvious thing to give up is sweets.

But if God wanted me to give that up, why did He allow me to score a huge sack full of moon pies and candy at the Mardi Gras?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Growing up Methodist in Mobile, Lent was hard. As a child, the most obvious thing to give up is sweets.

But if God wanted me to give that up, why did He allow me to score a huge sack full of moon pies and candy at the Mardi Gras?
God is testing your will power my son.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Growing up UMC also, they issued us a card to place a dime in each day and put on the altar on Easter Sunday. A whole dime! ($1.33 today) Meant doing a lot of extra chores to earn the money...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
My business partner gave up beer for Lent one time, but he didn't on Universal Coordinated time. Some say you can partake on Sunday's of what you gave up. Others say you can't, but that it ends on Palm Sunday (I believe that's correct). The two methods yield 40 days. So, with him giving up beer on UTC, it meant that come SAturday night in Alabama, it was Sunday on UTC and he'd drink a beer with supper on Saturday night.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I grew up Presbyterian in Mobile. All the benefits of being catholic, none of the post party guilt. So sweet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.