More Harbaugh News - Hiring More High School Coaches of Signed Recruits

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Promoting a guy from being a high school coach to being a college coach...I would think that would turn out better if you did it on merit and how good the high school coaches are doing, not based on who they coach or might sway in recruiting.
The end result of this strategy...you might wind up with a staff full of under qualified ex-high school coaches who's biggest positive is that they used to coach some top recruits in high school.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
If the prospective college employer believes that the HS coach's teaching and coaching abilities had a major impact on the development of those players and the program, then it makes sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Promoting a guy from being a high school coach to being a college coach...I would think that would turn out better if you did it on merit and how good the high school coaches are doing, not based on who they coach or might sway in recruiting.
The end result of this strategy...you might wind up with a staff full of under qualified ex-high school coaches who's biggest positive is that they used to coach some top recruits in high school.
Alabama has hired a few guys that just so happened to be from the same high school as some top recruits. However, this by Harbaugh just seems sketchy. Heck one coach is a recruit's dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Who cares? First, these kids did not want to play for Bama. Why would we want them here? As for the coaches, their days of steering recruits to Michigan are pretty much done; the hole in the dam is plugged. As far as I am concerned, Harbaugh stole Albarn recruits and may use them to beat the crap out of Urban Meyer. Meanwhile, Prattville Alabama may hire one of CNS' new best friends.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Who cares? First, these kids did not want to play for Bama. Why would we want them here? As for the coaches, their days of steering recruits to Michigan are pretty much done; the hole in the dam is plugged. As far as I am concerned, Harbaugh stole Albarn recruits and may use them to beat the crap out of Urban Meyer. Meanwhile, Prattville Alabama may hire one of CNS' new best friends.
Do you have an idea of who Prattville might hire? Chad Anderson is an Auburn fan IIRC. Just talked to a player's mom and coach's wife. She doesn't know of a replacement.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Do you have an idea of who Prattville might hire? Chad Anderson is an Auburn fan IIRC. Just talked to a player's mom and coach's wife. She doesn't know of a replacement.

No idea who they might hire but odds are good it will not be someone steering kids to Michigan.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No idea who they might hire but odds are good it will not be someone steering kids to Michigan.
True, but it's much easier to recruit kids from the South when you have former high school coaches on staff "to help make Ann Arbor feel a little like home." That's the reason you hire the high school coaches.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I know I am in the minority here but I think Harbaugh is great for college football and even better that it is Michigan he is reviving. He is a big personality as quirky as it may be but so what. He did a bang up job his first season. He is making noise in recruiting and I fully expect to see his teams among the best as long as he as in Ann Arbor. Dude thinks out of the box and bleeds the colors of his alma mater. Good for him and the wolverines. I welcome the challenge.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
He hired Gus to be OC in order to sign Mitch Mustain, Damian Williams, Ben Cleveland and Andrew Norman from Springdale High School.

When you have to go out of your way to lock down homestate guys from a school 18 miles from your campus, that's never a good sign.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It feels like Harbaugh's antics are only going to work for so long. His circus act will produce temporary results, but he has to win. The issue with that is he has Urban Meyer to deal with. Either he starts beating Ohio State or he starts to look like Mark Richt or Les Miles... If he does beat Urban Meyer, great, he's more of a threat in my opinion anyway.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It feels like Harbaugh's antics are only going to work for so long. His circus act will produce temporary results, but he has to win. The issue with that is he has Urban Meyer to deal with. Either he starts beating Ohio State or he starts to look like Mark Richt or Les Miles... If he does beat Urban Meyer, great, he's more of a threat in my opinion anyway.
Michigan has looked real good against Hawaii (3-10 last year) and Central Florida (0-12 last year.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is true, but Harbaugh understands it. He is doing many of these things to raise the "presence" of Michigan football before it actually wins because he knows that he need players to win. Now the wins will have to continue coming. Otherwise he will be forced to continue to raise his own bar with respect headline grabbing behavior to stay relevant to recruits, and there is only so far that you can take that before it turns on you.

He knows that he is playing a dangerous game. One misstep and the media that is currently helping him could start to eat him alive.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Either it is valid hiring of talented coaches or he will eventually (be) burdened with a bunch of future barn HCs. It should take care of itself over time.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
This stuff Harbaugh is doing makes headlines and to some degree it helps him get a recruit here and there but long term you have to sell Michigan, not "look how cute I am". Ohio State finished ahead of them this year and they wiped the floor with them last season so even though the press is in love with Harbaugh I don't see his team getting any closer to the playoffs.

I predict he's back in the NFL before he hits his 5th season.
I think you're right. Too many pieces to the jig saw puzzle he's cutting and they're becoming more scattered as well as a lot of 'em are color side down. Eventually he'll tire of the recruiting chore and go somewhere like Buffalo or Cleveland. He's just not cut out for the NCAA game as we all know it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.