More Harbaugh News - Hiring More High School Coaches of Signed Recruits

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This from last week:

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh hires Prattville assistant as analyst

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh didn't just sign two prospects from Prattville. He also snagged a staff member, too.

Antonio Richards, a Prattville assistant, has been hired by Harbaugh as an offensive analyst. Richards has been a longtime assistant at Prattville under three head coaches, including UAB coach Bill Clark, and he was part of three straight AHSAA Class 6A titles from 2006-08 and again in 2011.

Prattville running back Kingston Davis signed with Michigan and enrolled in January, and linebacker Dytarious Thomas also signed with the Wolverines.
So he hires an assistant from the same place he had his summer camp last year and has signed three players over the last two years.

From today:

Report: Devin Bush Sr. 'on the verge' of joining Michigan's football staff

Another familiar name around Michigan's football program could be soon joining it in an official capacity.

The Miami Herald reported Wednesday that Devin Bush Sr. -- head coach of Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, Florida and father of Michigan freshman linebacker Devin Bush Jr. -- is "on the verge" of taking a position with Jim Harbaugh's staff.

Bush told the paper that he's not in current communication with the school and said it's "hearsay" that there may be a job for him.

Michigan currently has three incoming freshmen from Bush's program at Flanagan on its roster: Bush Jr., linebacker Devin Gil and safety Josh Metellus.

The Wolverines are also actively recruiting four-star 2017 cornerback Stanford Samuels -- another Flanagan prospect whose father is currently the school's defensive coordinator. Bush Sr. led Flanagan to its first Florida 8A state championship in 2015.
So he reportedly offers an assistant job to the head coach of three incoming freshman and happens to be the father of one of the players.

Nothing against hiring high school coaches. That's normal. The guys he's hiring seems to be questionable, though. Really comes across as a package deal. I don't expect it from a guy like Harbaugh or a school like Michigan. That's the type of thing I expect from a coach like Freeze or Art Briles.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get doing this in the state of Michigan, as it builds sustained program support into a region. Doing it in states over 1,000 miles away is a waste. How many players will that investment bring in? Those schools have long term ties to other programs, and UM isn't going to see sustained recruiting from those schools once those coaches have moved far away.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It might help in the short run, but I'm not sure how much it'll help long term.

First, you take the source of recruits out of the HS, the very place where they can help you. Second, you'll pretty soon run out of spots on the staff.

Give him credit for pushing the envelope, though. I'm guessing he'll also generate a bunch of new rules.

RollTide-YNWA

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2009
Dothan
This has been happening in basketball for a long, long time as well, and I can't seem to ever remember it working out well as a long-term solution. I'm sure it's happened, but the overall negatives seem to outweigh the positives when trying to sustain a program.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is this happening in other States or only in Saban's State?
The only one from Alabama is Richards from Prattville. Bush is from Florida, and Chris Partridge is from New Jersey, where Michigan got 5 players from the 2016 class.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Harbaugh is still a pretender and is doing everything he can to promote his brand. I would bet everything I have Saban could care less what he does or where he does it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Harbaugh is still a pretender and is doing everything he can to promote his brand. I would bet everything I have Saban could care less what he does or where he does it.
You sure you want to make that bet?

Nick Saban calls satellite camps 'ridiculous,' would like to see issue addressed by SEC and NCAA

"If we're all going to travel all over the country to have satellite camps, you know, how ridiculous is that?" Saban said Tuesday evening before the Crimson Caravan stop in Huntsville. "I mean we're not allowed to go to all-star games, but now we're going to have satellite camps all over the country. So it doesn't really make sense."

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Harbaugh definitely is a talented coach, he's proven it everywhere he's been. But he's also quite a bit of a wingnut and if he were in charge of my program, I'd probably develop a facial tic after a couple of years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did Nutt do this at Arkansas? I seem to vaguely remember something along those lines, but I can't be certain.
He hired Gus to be OC in order to sign Mitch Mustain, Damian Williams, Ben Cleveland and Andrew Norman from Springdale High School.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It might help in the short run, but I'm not sure how much it'll help long term.

First, you take the source of recruits out of the HS, the very place where they can help you. Second, you'll pretty soon run out of spots on the staff.

Give him credit for pushing the envelope, though. I'm guessing he'll also generate a bunch of new rules.
If he is allowed to go to Prattville and Florida for Spring Training then it might be a long term benefit.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This stuff Harbaugh is doing makes headlines and to some degree it helps him get a recruit here and there but long term you have to sell Michigan, not "look how cute I am". Ohio State finished ahead of them this year and they wiped the floor with them last season so even though the press is in love with Harbaugh I don't see his team getting any closer to the playoffs.

I predict he's back in the NFL before he hits his 5th season.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Harbaugh is just wanting to keep his name in the headlines, I don't blame him but all this window dressing about getting one or two recruits don't amount to a hill of beans. Ohio State is still mopping the floor with Harbaugh but you don't see a lot from the media talking about Urban Meyer. The media is in love with Harbaugh, end of story.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I agree that in the long run it will bite him. If he does this enough he may be made to feel quite unwelcomed in some of these places.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
We are not on the same page when it comes to Harbaugh. He IS the Freeze and Briles mold, IMO. I thought Michigan was above this sort of thing, but I guess it was just talk all these years. Welcome to the other side of the tracks, Michigan.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Harbaugh is pushing the envelop when it doesn't need pushing, the Michigan Brand Name in college football will sell itself with the right HC in place, Harbaugh is a HC that's well known & already popular with recruits..All Harbaugh needs to do is sell his football program & just win games, everything else will fall into place, no need with ruffling feathers along the way & do stuff that could eventually get the attention of the NCAA..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's going to be real interesting what happens to these high school coaches after the players who were included in the deal graduate or leave Michigan..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's going to be real interesting what happens to these high school coaches after the players who were included in the deal graduate or leave Michigan..
By then they will have proven their abilities, or not. If they have, they have a future in college football. If not, they usually wash out in a few years and are back coaching/teaching in HS. It is a great opportunity for a HS coach, and many get this type of opportunity around the time that a great player (or three) moves on to college. It isn't even uncommon to have them move to a different state. Moving over 1000 miles - that is uncommon.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.