Link: Top Five Head Football Coaches...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
SDS put this on my Facebook page - 1) Belichick, 2) Saban, 3) Meyer, 4) Mike Tomlin, 5) Pete Carroll. I did a quick memory check and it's one African American, One German and 2.5 Croats. (Carroll is the ".5.") Must be something in the genes...

LINK

Last edited:

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Uh Oh, there went diversity out the window. :) I would have put Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi in there, just from my limited Pro watching.
I believe this article was listing only currently active coaches. Hard to believe that the Cleveland browns hired the two guys at the top of this list...and fired them.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Uh Oh, there went diversity out the window. :) I would have put Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi in there, just from my limited Pro watching.
Landry was a model of consistency but he won only two championships in 29 yrs as a HC. Besides I think this list is limited to ACTIVE coaches only.

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Tomlin is a joke to be on the list at 4. I watched him make a decision in an OT game this year that was nothing short of idiotic.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Tomlin is a joke to be on the list at 4. I watched him make a decision in an OT game this year that was nothing short of idiotic.
Who would you put on the list instead of Tomlin? I pulled these statistics from the Steelers website. Pretty impressive.

Mike Tomlin was named the 16th head coach in Pittsburgh Steelers history on January 22, 2007. Hired at the age of 34, Tomlin became only the third head coach hired by the Steelers since 1969.
Through eight seasons, Tomlin has accomplished many things that have never been done in the team’s storied history. His 82-46 regular-season record (.641) is the best start in franchise history, and he became the youngest head coach in NFL history to both coach in and win a Super Bowl when he led the Steelers to a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII (26 years, 323 days). By winning the Super Bowl in only his second season as a head coach, he also became the fastest to win a Super Bowl title in Steelers history.

I will admit that he hasn't done a whole lot since that Super Bowl victory. The Steelers were AFC champions in 2010 but they lost that Super Bowl to the Packers. Still a very impressive resume..

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I cannot remember an era with fewer "great" coaches in the NFL. Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs, Cowher, Holmgren, and even "good" if not "great" coaches like Marv Levy, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermeil, and Tony Dungy would outrank all but probably 2 active pro coaches today.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I cannot remember an era with fewer "great" coaches in the NFL. Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs, Cowher, Holmgren, and even "good" if not "great" coaches like Marv Levy, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermeil, and Tony Dungy would outrank all but probably 2 active pro coaches today.
I think you are spot on. If you really want to coach, college is the place, I were I see the great coaches. Maybe the insane money has made it harder to really be an authoritarian coach in the NFL, but something changed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Belichick towers over his peers so greatly that it diminishes some guys. Coughlin will go down as a great with those two ridiculous playoff runs and Super Bowl upsets over Belichick. With Coughlin retiring, here will be only one coach with multiple Super Bowl rings as a HC next season.

Parity in college and pro football is at an all-time high. Television has helped level the playing field for college programs. Free agency and cap adjustments have created the same effect for the NFL. Belichick and Saban will go down as titans for their ability to be a dynasty in these constraints and competition.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Andy Reid is a great head coach. A man who has done more with less, but not managed to win a SB. Give him Tomlin's players and he probably has a few rings.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you are counting head coaches who are no longer coaching........in other words best head coach of all time, Don Shula should at least be in the conversation.

328 career wins between the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins. With only 158 losses his winning percentage is .676.

He also played CB for 6 years for the Browns, Colts, and Redskins.

Many notable accolades but one distinction not too great is he is tied with Bud Grant for the most (4) Super Bowl losses of any NFL head coach.

Other than that......:smile:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If you are counting head coaches who are no longer coaching........in other words best head coach of all time, Don Shula should at least be in the conversation.

328 career wins between the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins. With only 158 losses his winning percentage is .676.

He also played CB for 6 years for the Browns, Colts, and Redskins.

Many notable accolades but one distinction not too great is he is tied with Bud Grant for the most (4) Super Bowl losses of any NFL head coach.

Other than that......:smile:
and Marv Levy.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Andy Reid is a great head coach. A man who has done more with less, but not managed to win a SB. Give him Tomlin's players and he probably has a few rings.
To suggest that he's had less than Tomlin is a stretch.

He's had guys like Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Brian Dawkins, Tra Thomas, Jevon Kearse, Jeremiah Trotter, Asante Samuel, DeSean Jackson, LaSean McCoy, DeMeco Ryans, Jamaal Charles, Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Tamba Hali. All of whom were multi time Pro Bowl and/or All Pro guys.

He also had lots of solid guys likes Derrick Burgess, Jon Runyan, Michael Lewis, Jeremy Maclin, Shawn Andrews, Dwayne Bowe and Alex Smith.

That's not to say he isn't a great coach; he is. But to suggest he hasn't had as much talent on his teams as Tomlin has is wrong.

And if he did lack talent on his teams, then the blame should be placed squarely on the GM/VP of Football Operations during his tenure: Andy Reid.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
SDS put this on my Facebook page - 1) Belichick, 2) Saban, 3) Meyer, 4) Mike Tomlin, 5) Pete Carroll. I did a quick memory check and it's one African American, One German and 2.5 Croats. (Carroll is the ".5.") Must be something in the genes...

LINK
Can't they all just be Americans? Who was the coach born in Africa?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.