Great quote showing the buy-in and capabilities of our staff

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
"It's huge," Obasohan said. "It's huge for this program, this team. It just shows everybody that we're going in the right direction but at the same time the things that our coaching staff preach every day actually work. More than anything, it just shows we've got to stick with it."

Coach Johnson was a great find by our AD. He's not exactly like a "basketball Nick Saban" but he clearly can relate to the players and coaches them hard. After some of the early season drubbings, I figured we'd be lucky to beat any SEC team with a pulse. This team has gotten better over the course of the season...

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
I think in many ways Coach Johnson is a better hire than Coach Saban. Not that Coach Saban was not a home run, just that Head Basketball Coach at Bama is in many ways a much more difficult job. You have to work the students so that we are not playing in an empty arena. My daughter met Coach Johnson in the Alpha Chi house earlier this week. I told anyone who would listen that when we hired Avery Johnson that Bama had just hit the Coaching Lottery.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
One thing I like about this team is that it never quits. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
It's easy to cheer for a team that plays with heart and doesn't pack it in - whether, they're winning or losing - effort is something that counts for a lot. It's also pretty easily recognizable.. not only from a players perspective, but looking at the coaching too. These coaches want the players and program to succeed. I'm not sure how much the last regime cared about the program, but at times they almost acted like all interest was focused on collecting paychecks and not wins.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
SIAP, Avery Johnson now has more wins over ranked teams than Anthony Grant did in six seasons at Bama. Wow..

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
SIAP, Avery Johnson now has more wins over ranked teams than Anthony Grant did in six seasons at Bama. Wow..
An extremely revealing bit of info, CF. Thanks for sharing it.

What Johnson and Co are doing with this roster is little short of amazing. Wish him success in recruiting . . . With a legit offensive threat (or two) near the bucket and upgraded shooting I have no doubt we will be a real contender.

It's easy to cheer for a team that plays with heart and doesn't pack it in - whether, they're winning or losing - effort is something that counts for a lot. It's also pretty easily recognizable.. not only from a players perspective, but looking at the coaching too. These coaches want the players and program to succeed. I'm not sure how much the last regime cared about the program, but at times they almost acted like all interest was focused on collecting paychecks and not wins.
Yep. It was extremely lackluster on their part.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Yep. It was extremely lackluster on their part.

Agreed. I pulled for Grant to get it together until the bitter end but it doesn't take long to see the difference between he and Coach Johnson. The contrast is night and day and it's refreshing to see a well-coached team playing hard for each other. Huge win today in Gainesville…

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This team likes playing for their coach and the coach likes coaching them...its a good combo and speaks well to the future of this program.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I really wanted CAG to do well here. But I gotta say this team wouldn't have 10 wins if he were still our coach. CAJ has taught these guys how to move the ball and move without the ball. Most over achieving basketball team I have ever seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
The other telling thing about CAJ and his staff is they are getting more and more fans to buy in. If he keeps this up then pretty soon it will be hard to just walk up and get a ticket for a game at Coleman.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
The other telling thing about CAJ and his staff is they are getting more and more fans to buy in. If he keeps this up then pretty soon it will be hard to just walk up and get a ticket for a game at Coleman.
Give him enough time and maybe we won't be buying tickets at Coleman. ;)

New arena? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.