Congressmen join forces to fight global warming

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Aerosols......from burning coal (according to this site) - COOL the planet.....

So, is it possible that the reduction of coal-fired plants has actually CAUSED warming?

1/2 of the Earth's surface is plowed and paved? Seriously?

So, ozone and aerosol coal-burning actually helps keep the planet cool?

the ONLY thing hurting us is burning oil and cow farts?

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Aerosols......from burning coal (according to this site) - COOL the planet.....

So, is it possible that the reduction of coal-fired plants has actually CAUSED warming?
No. Aerosols do have a cooling effect and coal fired power plants do indeed generate aerosol pollution. You know what else they generate? Crap tons of CO2.

So the question then becomes, which forcing is stronger? Anthropogenic aerosol emissions or anthropogenic GHG emissions? The answer is one we have known well over half a century. Remember when we discussed the Rasool and Schneider (1972) paper in the other thread?

All anthropogenic forcings, whether warming or cooling, must be considered. When they are, the net effect is one of warming.

1/2 of the Earth's surface is plowed and paved? Seriously?
That's a silly claim. Who made it?

So, ozone and aerosol coal-burning actually helps keep the planet cool?

the ONLY thing hurting us is burning oil and cow farts?
Burning coal warms the planet. When all associated forcings from coal burning are considered the result is one of warming.

On the cow farts, you're acting as if it's a reductio ad absurdum. It's not. Industrial farming of ruminants actually generates a lot of methane.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
So does the California gas leak. I bet its making bovine flatulence pale in comparison.
They've thankfully plugged it.

Let's do the math though. The leak averaged about 1200 metric tons per day. Ruminant methane emissions account for anywhere from 76-92 million metric tons per year. Cows at their lowest estimate account for about 208000 metric tons per day.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Let's do the math though. The leak averaged about 1200 metric tons per day. Ruminant methane emissions account for anywhere from 76-92 million metric tons per year. Cows at their lowest estimate account for about 208000 metric tons per day.
of course, the aubie is an expert on cow farts ;)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Good thing we wiped out the buffalo....that would only have made things worse.

Maybe we can find a way to hook a hose up to cows and capture the methane and power houses and electric cars.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Good thing we wiped out the buffalo....that would only have made things worse.
Not necessarily. A lot of it has to do with sheer numbers and how we feed them. In industrial farming, cows are generally fed a low nutrient fast growing ryesgrass, which causes excess methane as a product of digestion.

That, and there are far more domestic cattle than there ever were buffalo. There were at most 60,000,000 buffalo. Compare that to the 1,300,000,000 to 1,500,000,000 domestic cows alive today.

Maybe we can find a way to hook a hose up to cows and capture the methane and power houses and electric cars.
Not sure the cows would appreciate anyone trying that. I nominate you.

Last edited:

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009
That, and there are far more domestic cattle than there ever were buffalo. There were at most 60,000,000 buffalo. Compare that to the 1,300,000,000 to 1,500,000,000 domestic cows alive.
As of Jan 1, the number of cattle in the United States was 92 million

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.