Pre-Draft Discussion (Combine, Mock Drafts, Analysis, etc...)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: NFL Combine Discussion - 9 Alabama Players Invited

What I'm trying to say is that I've heard somewhere from 5-7th round consistently since December. I mean he could end up as FA... but I wouldn't be shocked to hear that he was drafted in mid-round.
Since Alabama has a pro day to showcase the talent of players going to the NFL, it won't hurt him as much as it might some kids from a smaller school.

I am more surprised that Mullaney wasn't invited.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I'm surprised to see that Lee and Devall weren't invited. They'll get drafted nonetheless, IMO.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013

I'm surprised to see that Lee and Devall weren't invited. They'll get drafted nonetheless, IMO.
A few months ago I read that Lee was a projected 5th round pick. I would assume Devall would go ahead of him, based purely on their playing time at Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Could Alabama possibly have another first round pick we don't expect...

NFL scouts high on Kelly

Former Tide All-American center Ryan Kelly is climbing NFL draft boards ahead of the combine.

On Friday BamaOnLine’s Senior Analyst Travis Reier reached out to an NFL scout to gauge the latest hype surrounding Kelly.

“After seeing Kelly rocket up mock drafts,” Reier wrote. “(I) Decided to ask one NFL club source this AM if he was surprised to see Kelly moving up. I'll be darned if he didn't say his team had a first-round grade on Kelly. So it's legit.”

In his latest mock draft, ESPN’s Mel Kiper has Kelly going to the Indianapolis Colts with the No. 18 pick.

“Forget best player available and instead consider Kelly at this slot as best offensive lineman available,” Kiper wrote. “The Colts don't just need better protection for Andrew Luck in pass protection, they also have the opportunity to protect Luck through the ability to run the ball more consistently, and Kelly is going to help immediately in that regard.”

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Four first round draft picks, and none are the Heisman Winning, SEC All-time record holding, Running Back named Derrick Henry.

Somebody cue Alanis.....

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

A few months ago I read that Lee was a projected 5th round pick. I would assume Devall would go ahead of him, based purely on their playing time at Alabama.
PT at 'Bama might not be the best indicator on this one because even though both were "OLB", in our scheme they really play totally different roles. Devall was more of a DE, who every once and a while played in a two point stance. Lee was more of a true OLB/ILB, and plays better in space, which is a desired skillset. The film of him in coverage will be great for him. The thing that kept Lee from playing more was some indiscretions in his first couple of years that put him behind on reps, being stuck at Sam (probably only 30% of our plays this year had that position in formation), and then being unlucky enough to be competing for PT against CJM, Ragland and Foster at ILB- all likely 1st or 2nd round picks, although I am not sure how he didn't unseat Depriest...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

PT at 'Bama might not be the best indicator on this one because even though both were "OLB", in our scheme they really play totally different roles. Devall was more of a DE, who every once and a while played in a two point stance. Lee was more of a true OLB/ILB, and plays better in space, which is a desired skillset. The film of him in coverage will be great for him. The thing that kept Lee from playing more was some indiscretions in his first couple of years that put him behind on reps, being stuck at Sam (probably only 30% of our plays this year had that position in formation), and then being unlucky enough to be competing for PT against CJM, Ragland and Foster at ILB- all likely 1st or 2nd round picks, although I am not sure how he didn't unseat Depriest...
IMO, Depriest was a disappointment because for whatever reason he never got himself into shape. He was carrying around at least 20 lbs of bad weight his last year. I'm not sure how Cochran and the S&C program weren't able to get his body right. I cringed every time he dropped back into coverage or tried to stay with a running back on a route. He was also slow to the perimeter. About the only play he was effective at stopping was a run up the middle..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

IMO, Depriest was a disappointment because for whatever reason he never got himself into shape. He was carrying around at least 20 lbs of bad weight his last year. I'm not sure how Cochran and the S&C program weren't able to get his body right. I cringed every time he dropped back into coverage or tried to stay with a running back on a route. He was also slow to the perimeter. About the only play he was effective at stopping was a run up the middle..
The coaches can only give them the tools that they need to lose weight. It's up to the players to do the rest. Remember early in the season, we kept hearing about how Allen, Robinson, and others lost weight over the summer, and they did what the coaches asked them to do. Saban alluded to the fact that players don't always do what they supposed to do. See the link: http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/08/most_of_alabamas_defensive_lin.html

We have always put an emphasis on that," Sabansaid. "We just haven't gotten the players to respond to it like I think this group has responded to it, and all the guys have responded to it except two./QUOTE]

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

On Bruce Feldman's podcast, Phil Savage explained why Coker probably did not get an invite to the Combine - voting ends in December, so voters didn't get to consider his playoff performances.

How absurd is that?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

On Bruce Feldman's podcast, Phil Savage explained why Coker probably did not get an invite to the Combine - voting ends in December, so voters didn't get to consider his playoff performances.

How absurd is that?
That's so messed up!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

agree all the way around, which is why I never understood how Lee didn't get a shot, at least in the nickle and dime packages. Do you think Depreist could ahve made either of the two INTs that Lee made this year?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Bruce Feldman talking to Phil Savage. Phil Savage brings up the fact that all the great RBs that have come through Bama recently - Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, Yeldon etc. have all been caught from behind at some point. Savage said he has never seen Henry angled off or caught from behind once he breaks through to the second level of the defense. The link has the short audio clip.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...tide-derrick-henry-phil-savage-podcast-022216

Alabama running back Derrick Henry is 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds, so many assume he's a lumbering runner. That thought will be crushed at the NFL Combine this week, where former NFL GM Phil Savage predicts Henry will run the 40 in the 4.4s and show NFL execs he's much quicker in person than people realize. Savage joins Bruce Feldman on The Audible to discuss Henry and explain why, given his rare combination of size and speed, the NFL won't be able to resist Henry for long.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Just a quick question. Why?
Uh...size...arm strength..leadership...athleticism, ability to make great throws in the face of an incredible pass rush because the offensive line couldn't pass block, toughness, OH...and he won a national title. Other than that, I have no idea as to why he should be drafted.
As a Bama FAN I can't understand why any Bama supporter would actually take the time to argue why a national championship winner as Bama's quarterback shouldn't even be drafted???
I think he goes in round five or six and will make a roster.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Devall was one player I kept expecting to break out big, but never really did. He showed flashes of great athleticism , like chasing down the Tennessee RB on a long play that should of been a TD from 5 yards behind in Knoxville . But I think he will get a look from an NFL team in the later rounds. Maybe make a roster somewhere.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Uh...size...arm strength..leadership...athleticism, ability to make great throws in the face of an incredible pass rush because the offensive line couldn't pass block, toughness, OH...and he won a national title. Other than that, I have no idea as to why he should be drafted.
As a Bama FAN I can't understand why any Bama supporter would actually take the time to argue why a national championship winner as Bama's quarterback shouldn't even be drafted???
I think he goes in round five or six and will make a roster.
Everyone has an opinion. First of all Sip, my question was why does he deserve to go to the combine. None of these players deserve anything. Second, with all these attributes you mention (some on here say he is an incredible talent), why would he go so late in the draft? Why not round two? And by the way, I have never said he should not be drafted. I said I did not think he would be drafted and that he would receive tryouts with some teams. Being a Bama fan has nothing to do with my view about his ability, but my opinion is he is not an incredible talent nor NFL material.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

How absurd is that?
Wow - did not know that.

The good news - if this is true then many NFL execs are interested and will show up at Alabama's Pro Day to watch Coker work out. Lucky for him that he went to a school that has such a well organized Pro Day, and throwing to WRs that he knows so well should help him even more.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Everyone has an opinion. First of all Sip, my question was why does he deserve to go to the combine. None of these players deserve anything.
Sure they do - you put in the work, you deserve to go to the combine if you have not messed up somewhere else in your life, and Coker has not. Look at the list of other QBs invited to the combine this year. Tell me that you honestly believe that all of them make better NFL prospects than Coker. Heck, a few won't even get FA offers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.