Pre-Draft Discussion (Combine, Mock Drafts, Analysis, etc...)

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Re: NFL Combine Discussion - 9 Alabama Players Invited

I doubt half of the players going to the combine are as good as Coker. Still doesn't make them NFL talent or make them deserving.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I was surprised someone like Brandon Allen from Arkansas got the invite over Coker. Allen has attempted a lot of passes the pass couple of years at Arkansas so there is plenty of tape on him. There is much less game tape on Coker. Additionally, it seems like NFL scouts would rather see a guy like Coker with prototypical size, arm strength and athleticism compete and throw at the combine vs your average run of the mill prospect like Allen..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Everyone has an opinion. First of all Sip, my question was why does he deserve to go to the combine. None of these players deserve anything.
That's just a stupid comment to make. The players don't deserve a thing? Really? Many put 10+ years of their life towards improving their skills and working hard to get a chance.

Guess I don't deserve a job since I got a college degree, either.

Second, with all these attributes you mention (some on here say he is an incredible talent), why would he go so late in the draft? Why not round two?
Maybe because being a NFL talent doesn't mean you'll be drafted in the first two rounds? Or because he only has one year of significant playing time? I mean no one has said he's good enough to be a day one starter.

And by the way, I have never said he should not be drafted. I said I did not think he would be drafted and that he would receive tryouts with some teams. Being a Bama fan has nothing to do with my view about his ability, but my opinion is he is not an incredible talent nor NFL material.
Would have never guessed that...

I doubt half of the players going to the combine are as good as Coker. Still doesn't make them NFL talent or make them deserving.
Apparently, the members of the selection committee made up of scouting services and NFL personnel feel they deserve the opportunity.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Wow - did not know that.

The good news - if this is true then many NFL execs are interested and will show up at Alabama's Pro Day to watch Coker work out. Lucky for him that he went to a school that has such a well organized Pro Day, and throwing to WRs that he knows so well should help him even more.
Exactly. Bama always has a big crowd at Pro Day, so Jake will have ample opportunity to show his stuff.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Pro day is huge for some of the players this year. Alabama is huge, so It benefits Coker greatly. I am pretty sure all of NFL Scouts will be at the Pro day, and I wouldn't be shocked to see that players from smaller school participating in pro day at Alabama. I truly believe that if Coker performs well at Pro day, Dude will get drafted. I know there are lot of people on here that thinks he is a free agent, but my gut feeling is that he will be drafted. I'm glad he's not at combine in a way, because he probably would've been overlooked where at Pro day, he'll get more close up attention. I'll put this out here: 4th round. Pick 112, Atlanta Falcons or Buffalo Bills.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Pro day is huge for some of the players this year. Alabama is huge, so It benefits Coker greatly. I am pretty sure all of NFL Scouts will be at the Pro day, and I wouldn't be shocked to see that players from smaller school participating in pro day at Alabama. I truly believe that if Coker performs well at Pro day, Dude will get drafted. I know there are lot of people on here that thinks he is a free agent, but my gut feeling is that he will be drafted. I'm glad he's not at combine in a way, because he probably would've been overlooked where at Pro day, he'll get more close up attention. I'll put this out here: 4th round. Pick 112, Atlanta Falcons or Buffalo Bills.
The Falcons have other priorities than a back-up QB, but then again Demitroff is still the GM so they will most likely waste their picks.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I've come to the conclusion that with the exception of perhaps 5 or 6 coaching staffs the rest in the NFL are just a bunch of morons holding the clipboard until the owner fires them. They don't know how to evaluate football talent and they don't know how to coach them up. They just sling a bunch of crap against the wall to see what sticks. The few staffs that know what they are doing are consistently putting together solid but unspectacular drafts year after year and consistently going to the playoffs more often than not, and they are winning championships.

Owners run through coaches like toilet paper and they won't take time to let anyone establish anything. The product has become so putrid that I seriously believe a healthy Alabama team could compete with them for four quarters. It's a FAR cry to what used to love in the 80's.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The Falcons have other priorities than a back-up QB, but then again Demitroff is still the GM so they will most likely waste their picks.
They do, but Matt Ryan exactly wasn't impressive this past season, and They need to develop a QB... if Ryan get hurt. They need LB, Center, Wide receiver. I think they will draft in order.. so anything after 4th round is a plus for them. That's why I said I could see Coker going in 4th or 5th to them.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

There are probably 500 or more players that are draft eligible this year. Everyone of them have put in years to get to the point of making a team. It's ignorant on your part to think they deserve to go to the combine.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

There are probably 500 or more players that are draft eligible this year. Everyone of them have put in years to get to the point of making a team. It's ignorant on your part to think they deserve to go to the combine.
I'm sorry, I'm having hard time to see where you coming from on this. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but did you get cut from a football team when you were in high school or something?
Players like Joey Bosa, Derrick Henry, etc deserve to go to the combine, because they have accomplished so much on the field, and its a great opportunity to show what they can do on the next level. If you work hard, you deserve it. if it's not meant to be, then it's not. Simple as that.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

The benefit of Pro Day versus the Combine is that Coker will have the benefit of throwing to his receivers rather than a bunch of strangers he has no timing with. In general I think Pro Day is a bigger deal for QBs than any other position. If they can't perform there it's more likely that compete on a NFL roster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The benefit of Pro Day versus the Combine is that Coker will have the benefit of throwing to his receivers rather than a bunch of strangers he has no timing with. In general I think Pro Day is a bigger deal for QBs than any other position. If they can't perform there it's more likely that compete on a NFL roster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Wait, all of the receivers Coker threw to aren't senior except for Mullaney. Can Foster, Stewart or Ridley help him out? I thought it has to be upperclassmen?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Wait, all of the receivers Coker threw to aren't senior except for Mullaney. Can Foster, Stewart or Ridley help him out? I thought it has to be upperclassmen?
As I understand it, you can throw to anyone at Pro Day - those players just would not be evaluated. Lots of players help on Pro Days for teams around the country who are not moving on.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Henry was the heaviest RB weighing in at 247 lbs. If his 40 time is in the 4.4s he will be a first round pick..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ryan Kelly's measurements:

6'4/311 lbs. 33 5/8" arms. 9 5/8" hands.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I had a nice long post typed up, but it vanished. So to summarize.

Look for Henry to land in Seattle, Denver, or Dallas (Rd 2).

Kelly has been a quick riser, but likely is still a 2nd Rd pick. I think that says volumes (good) about his perception in the NFL.

Ragland, Robinson, and Reed will all be off the board by pick 20. Ragland could fall into the top 10, and he'll be our first player taken.

Coker doesn't need the combine to get drafted, but he does need a really good Pro-day and some of the QB'S ahead of him to struggle. He's ranked outside the top 10 at the position by every service I've looked at (Walter football, DraftTek, CBS, NFL). The average number of QB's taken over the past three drafts is 10, so it will take some work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Kenyan Drake RB Sr 6-1 210
Derrick Henry RB Jr 6-2 242
Dominick Jackson OT Sr 6-6 315
Cyrus Jones CB Sr 5-10 196
Ryan Kelly C rSr 6-4 297
D.J. Pettway DE rSr 6-2 270
Reggie Ragland ILB Sr 6-1 259
Jarran Reed DT Sr 6-3 311
AShawn Robinson DT Jr 6-3 312

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.