Pre-Draft Discussion (Combine, Mock Drafts, Analysis, etc...)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe this is why a lot of folks thought Henry would play linebacker. He's got the exact same measurables and combine workout of the best defensive player in the NFL..

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Maybe this is why a lot of folks thought Henry would play linebacker. He's got the exact same measurables and combine workout of the best defensive player in the NFL..

That, and the fact that a top DE/pass rusher is going to demand a lot more value in today's NFL than a top RB. Honestly if I had a kid that had the measurables to play either OLB/DE as a pass rusher versus RB, I'd advise them to go pass rusher because that's where the money is now.

In this case - Henry could be the best to third best RB, and might go in the second round. I've seen some draft projections with as many as TEN OLB/DE in the first round alone, with only a singe RB...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Drills are done for the day. Here are a few takeaways.

Top of the Class:
There's the best, then there's the rest. Ezekiel Elliot and Derrick Henry solidified themselves as the top backs. Elliot looked super crisp in all the drills, aside from a few problems catching the ball. Henry tested through the roof. To run a 4.54, have a 37" vert, do a 10'10" broad jump at his size is incredible. Henry didn't look as smooth in drills as Zeke, but he caught the ball really well. These two are clear cut 1 and 2.

Fast risers:
A couple of guys really turned heads today. Ervin Tyler of SJSU had a great day. He had the second fastest 40 (4.41), looked very fluid in all the drills, and caught the ball very well. A lot of people think he's only a change of pace back, but I think this kid will be really good.

The other guy that is probably rising quickly is Keith Marshall. Between sharing the backfield with Todd Gurley, and injuries, it's easy to have forgotten about him. He blew up the combine, starting with 25 bench press reps, then running a 4.31 40. Not to mention he got a clean bill of health from all the doctors. He will be a steal for someone in the mid rounds.

Kenyan Drake also looked good today, as did Alex Collins (aside from his hands of stone), and a little known kid named Daniel Lasco.

Worst performance:
That goes to Kelvin Taylor. He ran over a 4.6 in the 40, he had THE most drops of any back, he often pulled up and didn't finish in drills. He just didn't look good today, and I'd be hesitant to draft him.

Anyone else have thoughts on today?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Super proud of Kenyan Drake. He had a great day. I think we could all have seen that coming. The commentators brought him up multiple times. He was labeled as the best receiving RB in this class. Hoping he gets a real shot and can stay healthy. Homeboy will need a little more mass I think...then again don't want to damage the wheels too much since that is likely to be a part of his meal ticket.

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
Caught this article from Dan Carson at FoxNews on Henry at the combine: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/...nce-almost-completely-mirrors-von-miller.html

Best line from the article after the comparison of Henry's combine to Von Miller's......
Another interesting question: "Could Derrick Henry play linebacker in the NFL?"

I realize asking if running backs would be good linebackers is like wondering if deer would make effective pack hunters. Then again, if a particular deer is jacked beyond belief and willing to run through walls to get what it wants, the pallor of the question changes a bit.

I mean, I wouldn't want to see Derrick Henry running full-speed to tackle me with hate in his eyes. Not even once.
Dan is on Twitter. He can list six-cylinder cars he'd prefer to see coming at him over Derrick Henry.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
First 3 WRs have run in the 4.66 to 4.75 range. Most of them so far are under 6 ft tall. Makes Henry's 40 time look really good considering the height and weight of Henry..

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Ryan Kelly's 40 time was quite impressive. Combining his college tape/output with this type of athleticism will really gain the attention of NFL teams. He's gonna get drafted higher than many expected.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Caught this article from Dan Carson at FoxNews on Henry at the combine: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/...nce-almost-completely-mirrors-von-miller.html

Best line from the article after the comparison of Henry's combine to Von Miller's......
The man breaks virtually every Alabama and SEC record (passing the likes of Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson), wins the Heisman, SEC Championship, and National Championship as a running back and people STILL want to put him at linebacker. If ever the acronym "SMH" were appropriate... ;)

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Duke Williams ran 4.72, 30 " vertical.
Evaluation: Sources Tell Us "I can tell you that he burned all of his bridges over there (Auburn). He's a selfish, me­-first guy and I don't think he's trustworthy in the locker room at all. He didn't compete at all this year. I wouldn't draft him in any round." -- NFC Director of Personnel

He needs to start improving his technique at delivering " would you like to make that a combo?"

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
For full disclosure, I saw the chart posted in my news feed by an NFL scout. I didn't intend to make it look like I authored the chart. I'm assuming it's generated from an analytical database that the scouts have..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Interesting Denver Post Comparison.-Derrick Henry-Von Miller

Von Miller dominated the Super Bowl, while Derrick Henry won the Heisman Trophy.
Nobody comes off the corner today like Miller. Nobody ran the ball like Henry last year in college football.
This is a pretty interesting comparision of their NFL combine numbers.
The Denver Posts final analysis---They're both beasts.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/02/26/derrick-henry-von-miller-nfl-combine/38507/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.