Pre-Draft Discussion (Combine, Mock Drafts, Analysis, etc...)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Figured I would go ahead and start a thread on the NFL combine considering it's starting to be discussed. The NFL combine will be held from February 23-29. 9 Alabama players have been invited: Ryan Kelly, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Dominick Jackson, DJ Pettway, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, Reggie Ragland and Cyrus Jones. Really surprised Coker didn't get an invite considering he got an invite to the senior bowl. It's always interesting to see the real height/weight of the players, 225 bench press reps and the 40 yard dash times. IIRC, Adidas is giving away $1M if anyone breaks the all-time 40 yard dash record (4.24?)..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: NFL Combine Discussion - 9 Alabama Players Invited

Figured I would go ahead and start a thread on the NFL combine considering it's starting to be discussed. The NFL combine will be held from February 23-29. 9 Alabama players have been invited: Ryan Kelly, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Dominick Jackson, DJ Pettway, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, Reggie Ragland and Cyrus Jones. Really surprised Coker didn't get an invite considering he got an invite to the senior bowl. It's always interesting to see the real height/weight of the players, 225 bench press reps and the 40 yard dash times. IIRC, Adidas is giving away $1M if anyone breaks the all-time 40 yard dash record (4.24?)..
My guess is they see him as too much of a project to even be considered taking up a draft pick. Doesn't mean he won't be picked up by someone for a FA contract. But going by what some of the analysts said at the senior bowl about him, this doesn't really surprise me.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

My guess is they see him as too much of a project to even be considered taking up a draft pick. Doesn't mean he won't be picked up by someone for a FA contract. But going by what some of the analysts said at the senior bowl about him, this doesn't really surprise me.
What were the analysts saying? Pros and cons?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

What were the analysts saying? Pros and cons?
Pro's- Has all the physical tools. (Summarizing)

Con's- Doesn't mentally process the game fast enough (Summarizing)

Short explanations I know but basically everything they were saying pointed to the one sentence explanations.

The Playmaker

2nd Team
Jan 9, 2011
T-town

He's projected to be drafted mid round to late....
Coker? He's not a mid-round kind of QB. He's a 7th/UDFA type. Mocks are meaningless at this point. All those sites are just group think and wait for player evaluations from teams to release or leak.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Replay that deep pass to Stewart in the championship game. Perfectly placed ball thrown backing up with a DL about to flatten him.

A project? Absolutely. But if he can learn to process the game just a little faster, he's got a hell of a ceiling.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bama seniors not invited to the combine....

Jake Coker
Jabriel Washington (not a shocker)
Denzel Devall
Darren Lake
Dillon Lee
Geno Matias-Smith
Richard Mullaney
Bradley Sylve (not surprising)

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Pro's- Has all the physical tools. (Summarizing)

Con's- Doesn't mentally process the game fast enough (Summarizing)

Short explanations I know but basically everything they were saying pointed to the one sentence explanations.
I think the biggest con for them is the he has only 14 starts in his college career. Most Pro scouts like to see at least 25 games under a QBs belt. Coker will not be drafted IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are a number of players capable of playing in the NFL who are not invited to the combine each year. I think that Coker is likely going to get a shot somewhere as a FA. The good news - that likely means that he won't be on a team that needs him now. He will get a chance to learn on the job.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

With Mayock's observation about d-line being the deepest position in the draft I wonder if that had bearing on Allen's return to Bama?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

He's projected to be drafted mid round to late....
Didn't say Mock .... Oh well.
Mock or not, if he is not invited to the compound he definitely will not get drafted mid round. Unless he has an unbelievably impressive pro day he is destined for FA. FA is not necessarily a bad thing for Coker. It might actually work out better for him.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

There was word from one or two GM's that Coker could be as high as a 4th, but I have not heard anything post Senior Bowl, which must not have helped much. If you look at his improvement and arm strength, I am hoping he gets in with a late round pick. I am hoping 5th or 6th. I can't see him getting undrafted with his size, arm, durability and potential......late round. I like him, but I am not sure if his passive nature hurts him. Maybe someone will see through it, because he is very competitive once given the opportunity.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Mock or not, if he is not invited to the compound he definitely will not get drafted mid round. Unless he has an unbelievably impressive pro day he is destined for FA. FA is not necessarily a bad thing for Coker. It might actually work out better for him.
What I'm trying to say is that I've heard somewhere from 5-7th round consistently since December. I mean he could end up as FA... but I wouldn't be shocked to hear that he was drafted in mid-round.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.