Sea Levels Not Rising - Land Soaking up Trillions of Melted Glacier Water

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-melting-glaciers-stopping-ending-oceans.html

Sea levels are rising slower than expected: Parched land has soaked up trillions of tons of water from melting glaciers, stopping it from ending up in the oceans
Scientists led by a team at Nasa's Jet propulsion Laboratory used satellite measurements to show the rate of sea level rise has slowed by 22 per cent
The planet's continents have soaked up and stored 3.2 trillion tons of water
Amazing ;)

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, the planet is capable of:

Having it's oceans absorb the heat.....
Having it's land absorb the extra water.....
Having it's volcanos release energy to cool the planet.....

but, the planet is not capable of:

Heating itself.....

Only evil "man" can do that.....

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The title of the thread is wrong, Cajun. Sea levels are still rising. They rose about one-eighth of an inch yearly from the early 1990s to 2002. What the study actually says is that the rate fell to a tenth of an inch from 2002 to 2014, or roughly 20%. That's not "Sea Levels Not Rising."

Guess mistaken inferences are bound to happen when you link the Daily Mail. :)

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
you're buying natural gas by the gallon?
Ugh.....are you saying that fracking has made no impact on the price of oil? Extra use of Natural Gas -- less reliance on oil....

Must you always be such a Richie?

Why Fracking?
Safe hydraulic fracturing is the biggest single reason America is having an energy revolution right now, one that has changed the U.S. energy picture from scarcity to abundance. Fracking is letting the U.S. tap vast oil and natural gas reserves that previously were locked away in shale and other tight-rock formations. Up to 95 percent of natural gas wells drilled in the next decade will require hydraulic fracturing. Hydraulic fracturing also is being used to stimulate new production from older wells.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The title of the thread is wrong, Cajun. Sea levels are still rising. They rose about one-eighth of an inch yearly from the early 1990s to 2002. What the study actually says is that the rate fell to a tenth of an inch from 2002 to 2014, or roughly 20%. That's not "Sea Levels Not Rising."

Guess mistaken inferences are bound to happen when you link the Daily Mail. :)
Are you saying the information in the article is incorrect? Nasa is lying? Or are they just being "misunderstood"?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Are you saying the information in the article is incorrect? Nasa is lying? Or are they just being "misunderstood"?
The article is correct.

The NASA study was published in good faith. They're not lying.

You misunderstood. You said "Sea Levels Not Rising" in the title of the thread. That's not what the article or the study say. They say sea level rise is mitigated by the land retaining water, but it is still rising.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Ugh.....are you saying that fracking has made no impact on the price of oil? Extra use of Natural Gas -- less reliance on oil....

Must you always be such a Richie?
2 questions here

what is a Ritchie?

And why would you use a quote from a fracking and oil lobbying group and not even link it? Is it perhaps because you know how biased they would be? I expect better from you, though I know I shouldn't

your quote came from here http://www.what-is-fracking.com/what-is-hydraulic-fracturing/

and this is the org behind it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Petroleum_Institute

my comment was a joke, I'm still not sold for or against on fracking as I haven't dug deeply enough and frankly it is terribly hard to find a non politicized source on the subject, right or left

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
2 questions here

what is a Ritchie?

And why would you use a quote from a fracking and oil lobbying group and not even link it? Is it perhaps because you know how biased they would be? I expect better from you, though I know I shouldn't

your quote came from here http://www.what-is-fracking.com/what-is-hydraulic-fracturing/

and this is the org behind it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Petroleum_Institute

my comment was a joke, I'm still not sold for or against on fracking as I haven't dug deeply enough and frankly it is terribly hard to find a non politicized source on the subject, right or left
Wasn't looking for a site that was biased, just looking for a definition of Fracking.....I quoted a site that explained what Fracking was. Are you denying that fracking has helped reduce the price of oil? Because I'm pretty sure the science is clear on that.....

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The article is correct.

The NASA study was published in good faith. They're not lying.

You misunderstood. You said "Sea Levels Not Rising" in the title of the thread. That's not what the article or the study say. They say sea level rise is mitigated by the land retaining water, but it is still rising.
ok, sorry -- Sea Levels only rising 1/10" of an inch --

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends.html

I thought this was a cool site -- shows where it's rising, and where it's falling.....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Wasn't looking for a site that was biased, just looking for a definition of Fracking.....I quoted a site that explained what Fracking was. Are you denying that fracking has helped reduce the price of oil? Because I'm pretty sure the science is clear on that.....
honestly haven't looked at it, you have unbiased science? Show it

And are you going to explain what a Ritchie is or (possibly if it is derogatory) offer any sort of apology or reason why you don't find it necessary to conform to tide fans policy against personal attacks?

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
honestly haven't looked at it, you have unbiased science? Show it

And are you going to explain what a Ritchie is or (possibly if it is derogatory) offer any sort of apology or reason why you don't find it necessary to conform to tide fans policy against personal attacks?
I'm offended that you would suggest such a thing, sounds like you are accusing me of something inappropriate, which I find offensive.....quit attacking me....if you continue to ask me questions about it, i will consider it a personal attack.

Now, please block me, so you don't have to ready my posts....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm offended that you would suggest such a thing, sounds like you are accusing me of something inappropriate, which I find offensive.....quit attacking me....if you continue to ask me questions about it, i will consider it a personal attack.

Now, please block me, so you don't have to ready my posts....
i'd never block you, far too entertaining

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.