Will you be outraged if Nick Saban is college football's first $8 Million Man?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Years back, in the 80's, when I was in radio, I got a job selling advertising for 25% commission.
First month I made a commission of $1,000.00.
Second month I made $1,500.00
A year later I was rocking. I made like $4,000.00 a month.
The general manager called me in his office and said, "We're going to have to cut your commission, you're making too much money"..
I looked him in the eye and said, "Then you might as well fire me, because the more I make, the more you make"..
As a commissioned sales person it was totally impossible for me to make "too much money". My income was totally based on performance. On a much vaster scale, it's the same with Nick Saban. Give him credit indeed for winning championships. That's really good.
But now, go back and look at football revenues generated under Saban as compared to Shula,Dubose, etc....
He would be the most under paid sales person in the world if he was on, "Commission".
He deserves every penny and more.
sip
So, did they fire you?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban - heck no. But most other head coaches for P5 programs are overpaid. Pay a man 2-5 million dollars per year to win 7-9 games per year and have the football program lose money? That is the insanity that has become the current pay structure of college football coaches.

There are only a few head coaches in college football earning their salaries, and Saban is clearly one of them.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Maybe it should be in his contract that every year CNS brings in a top 3 recruiting class his salary bumps up a million $. Lets don't forget the asst. coaches, CNS demands a lot from them and they do produce.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes I would be outraged if CNS was the first $8M year coach - if he was at any other school than Alabama (in other words if he left).

If he's here give him Fort Knox.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yes I would be outraged if CNS was the first $8M year coach - if he was at any other school than Alabama (in other words if he left).

If he's here give him Fort Knox.
He's worth more than that.

In the spring of 2007, we were catching all kinds of grief for an 8-year, $32 million contract with no buyout. I spoke with someone whose name you would recognize, and he told me that we'd already made it back. Keep in mind, this was 90-120 days after Saban's arrival in Tuscaloosa.

Given that time frame, I assumed he meant that we'd already made the 2007 salary back. So I said that was great, and asked when he thought we'd reach breakeven on the full contract. He looked at me kind of funny and said, "Shelby, we've already made back all $32 million."

This in 90 - 120 days. Coming from an an impeccable source who is not given to hyperbole.

As an earlier poster noted, if you understand ROI, you know Saban's underpaid.

Don't care. Bama is winning and it seems not to be stopping. What I find hilarious is that when one coach beats Saban once he gets a contract extension and big raise only to fall extremely hard the next season. Good for them. Bama isn't driving the price up. The other schools are.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Athletic department revenue has more than doubled Shula's last year - any questions?

Interesting chart. Significant jump from 2006 to 2007, which I would have expected. Then a steady upward trend, except for a spike in 2008, then back down to the trendline.

Wonder what the story is in 2008, which, despite the spike in revenues, also generated by far the smallest surplus.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I graduated from Bama in 1997, and when I go back to visit, there are entire chunks of the campus that I don't even recognize. It is absolute incredible how much the university has grown, both in facilities and enrollment since Saban arrived. And make no mistake, it is all because of the success of the football program. He deserves every penny and then some.

I am, however, outraged that Kevin Sumlin is one of the coaches making more than the NFL average salary.

There are six college coaches right now making the NFL average ($4.85 million) or more -- Saban, Meyer, Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, Charlie Strong and Kevin Sumlin -- according to CoachesHotSeat.com.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
Hahahaha....Oh he isn't yet? lol No problem here. Players are getting a little stipend (might could be bigger, but whatevs) so paying for a coach that has added so much isn't a page turner for me.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I think he'd be underpaid if we paid Coach Saban $10mill a year..

Would I be outraged? That would be a definite NO! He has more than earned his salary and, per the quote above, $10 mil would be a reasonable compensation for what he has done for the University and its athletic program.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Why should I be? He's worth much more that the 2 QB's who played in the Super Bowl. Both make MUCH more than Coach Saban.

He's won how many NC's? The enrollment at Alabama has increased by how many students since he arrived?

We were in the depths of depression worse than in the early 1930's and now we're at the highest peak imaginable!

So, NO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.