Will you be outraged if Nick Saban is college football's first $8 Million Man?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I like seeing coach Saban sporting the Crimson jacket, because was never disingenuous us, or a suck up, always his own self. I think it's a lot of money, but he should make the most, whatever the market dictates.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

In the spirit of valentine's day, I'm willing to let the University pay whatever they and coach agree upon even if it's 8 million dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Of course Nick Saban should be the highest paid college football coach because he is the best at what he does and is irreplaceable. That doesn't mean he is worth an infinite amount of money.

The Board of Trustees do have a duty to not be wasteful with the month of the University.

He should be paid a few dollars more that whatever the other top 3-5 coaches are making and not much more.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Of course Nick Saban should be the highest paid college football coach because he is the best at what he does and is irreplaceable. That doesn't mean he is worth an infinite amount of money.

The Board of Trustees do have a duty to not be wasteful with the month of the University.

He should be paid a few dollars more that whatever the other top 3-5 coaches are making and not much more.
Wrong answer. Part of having the best coach in college football is keeping the best football coach in college football. You have to pay a guy like coach having this much success to make him untouchable to other would be suitors. We can pay him $8m because we know can afford it because we are getting the return on it. For anybody else that would be an educated guess at best given they would also have to invest at another $50m on facility upgrades as well. Paying him a few dollars more than other coaches just makes him a target for other competing schools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you look at the ROI, he's worth a lot more than he's paid.

And frankly, Saban's four NC's at Alabama are more than the next four highest paid coaches combined at their schools: Harbaugh (0), Meyer (1), Stoops (1), Fisher (1).

IOW, he's not just better than the rest, he's a LOT better than the rest, and should be paid accordingly...

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
CNS is head and shoulders above all the other current college head coaches and should be compensated as such. Since it has no impact on me as to the income of others, I would think a fair income for CNS would be $30Mil per year. Also, all Bama assistant coaches should receive a fair income of $10Mil per year. This would insure that we have the best and keep the best. I would also think that at that rate CNS would coach approximately 15 more years. Increase tickets prices and all other related income streams to help maintain high levels of funding. I think most fans would agree to these increases so the coaches would receive fair compensation. This would do two things. One, our happiness meter would peg out ever Saturday as we continue to win, and two, our humor meter would peg out watching the barn trying to figure ways to keep up.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I guess some folks will be outraged. Including bonuses, Nick Saban earned $7,969,113 in 2015 from the University of Alabama.

-The University of Alabama football program profited nearly $46.5 million in 2015, according to a financial report filed by the university to the NCAA and obtained by The Tuscaloosa News. To no surprise, the football program kept the entire athletic department in the black with total revenues of nearly $100 million, specifically $95,132,301 with incurred expenditures that totaled $48,640,971. That profit of $46,491,330 was down nearly $7 million from 2014. Part of the reason why might be two lengthy trips to Dallas and Glendale, Arizona, for the College Football Playoffs, including the semifinal and national championship games.

-Staff salaries, including for head coach Nick Saban’s salary, nine assistant coaches and all support staff and administration, totaled $18,055,483, which also incorporates bonuses. That total rose from $15,490,459 a year before.

-Overall,the athletic department profited approximately $16.6 million with total operating revenues of $148.9 million and total expenses of $132.3 million. In 2014, total revenues were $153.2 million with expenses of $129.3.

Full article here - https://alabama.n.rivals.com/news/football-program-profited-46-5-million-in-2015

Last edited:

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
There was a local sports writer (Jackson, MS) who wrote when we just hired CNS and paid him that outrageous salary that it would be the end for Bama football and after the shock people would laugh. Since then I have written him several time for an update on his thoughts....no response. The hire of CNS was the best thing that has happened to Alabama since mama called.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Far from it--I'll be outraged if he's not. Anybody that understands basic economics knows that Nick Saban at $10million/yr would still be very undervalued.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There was a local sports writer (Jackson, MS) who wrote when we just hired CNS and paid him that outrageous salary that it would be the end for Bama football and after the shock people would laugh. Since then I have written him several time for an update on his thoughts....no response.
Hahaha, I bet that guy hates you, I love it. :biggrin2:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
As other's have said, a simple understanding of ROI will show that CNS is underpaid from that perspective. He also has clauses in his contract that give him bonuses if he meets certain criteria. He's been hitting them more than not, so that has led to said bonuses and salary increases.

Another thing...at this point it's just not about money anymore. CNS could walk into any (well almost any) restaurant in the state of Alabama and have his meal on the house. He owns a Mercedes dealership, so he doesn't need any cars. He lives in a house that I'm sure is paid for. He doesn't need money. So his salary is just a number on a balance sheet, and an occasional headline on al.com. Any arguments from anyone on his salary is just a waste of their time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.