Alabama vs. Florida game thread....

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What is also a shame is a player like Retin being jerked around for the first three years of his career. What a complete -- and completely avoidable -- waste of precious time.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I woke up this morning with a bad case of basketball fever. I might have to go to a game to deal with it, it's been a long time since I've seen our team play live.
It's fun to see us make a run in Feb.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This was a fantastic game and it was nice to see the potential that is starting to emerge. It's a shame about that Auburn loss, it's really keeping Alabama's RPI and SEC record down, but if they keep this kind of play up it might not matter.

I'd like to think the idea of really being the one that built Alabama basketball into an elite program appeals to him. Alabama might not be able to reach the heights of a Kentucky or a North Carolina, but there's nothing stopping them from regaining their place as the second SEC basketball program, and building off of that. The talent is available, the resources are available, the right coach can take Alabama to the Final Four and make them into an annual SEC contender and NCAA team. I hope Avery Johnson wants to be the guy to do that.

On another note, if Alabama wins a championship in basketball, does that coach get a statue to?
Really like and spot on. CAJ is a southern boy and knows Alabama bball history with Newton and Sanderson. He can establish another legacy and really impact the community with his personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Great win. This team is fun to watch and pull for. If we can get Taylor playing consistently at the level he played yesterday we will be a tough out from here on out. Anyone seen Linardi's bracketology after the win?

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Was that Phillip Lockett playing center for Alabama?

No one will mistake this team for 1992 Duke but I sure love watching underdog over-achievers get after it and beat a 9-point favorite.

Footnote to history: I was in the O'Connell Center for the last victory before yesterday, back in 1995. Except ... with a few minutes left in the game, us trailing by about 10, I think, I couldn't take the locals Gator-chomping in my face, so wife and I headed to the car. Turned on radio just in time to hear Mick Hubert say the Tide had won on a last second three-pointer. Wife then piled on the verbal abuse for making us miss the game-winner. Knowing when to bolt is kind of like trying to time the stock market; it's probably best just to ride things out. I've guessed right a few times but am not sure that makes up for not being there at the right time!

On the other hand, I didn't bolt out of the Swamp in 1999 when things looked bleak, and was well rewarded.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Big stat, IMO, is that Alabama was 5-12 from the 3 point line. I like to see that we've moved on from jacking up 30 3s per game (last 3 games were 28, 25 and 27 attempts). If we keep the 3 attempts under 16 or so I think that bodes well for this team..
Much easier to do that when Jimmie and Donta are playing like they did yesterday.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When you hold your opponent to 28.3% shooting from the field, you can do dang near anything offensively. If we could have gotten some more good looks from behind the arc, we could've trounced them. They locked us down pretty good from the field too...forced us off the 3pt line quite a bit.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
This was a fantastic game and it was nice to see the potential that is starting to emerge. It's a shame about that Auburn loss, it's really keeping Alabama's RPI and SEC record down, but if they keep this kind of play up it might not matter.

I'd like to think the idea of really being the one that built Alabama basketball into an elite program appeals to him. Alabama might not be able to reach the heights of a Kentucky or a North Carolina, but there's nothing stopping them from regaining their place as the second SEC basketball program, and building off of that. The talent is available, the resources are available, the right coach can take Alabama to the Final Four and make them into an annual SEC contender and NCAA team. I hope Avery Johnson wants to be the guy to do that.

On another note, if Alabama wins a championship in basketball, does that coach get a statue to?
Considering the history of the Alabama basketball program for the past decade, I'd say he would deserve it. Wouldn't you agree?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Great road win!!! If you had told me before the game that we would've been out rebounded by 19, on the road in this league, at a place we hadn't won in twenty years, and Obasohan and Edwards would foul out with over 5 minutes left in the game, I would have said our chances would be very slim, and I'm pretty sure I would not be alone. :wink:

We accomplished this feat because of a combination of things. We played great defense (particularly Jimmie Taylor inside), UF shot extremely poorly (our defense had a lot to do with that), our shot selection was much better (5-12 from three, the way we were dominated on the boards a dozen more missed three's may have been disastrous), and we cut down our to's (we still had a few careless to's, but not as many as usual). We were severely beaten on the boards (54-35, we got only 6 offensive rebounds). If we could put all those things together in one game, rebounding, defense, good shot selection, and fewer to's, we could beat any team we play...anyone. Oh, and we need to shoot our free throws better. Missed foul shots, especially down the stretch, will come back to haunt you.

Now it's on too Baton Rouge Wednesday night to see what we can do. With this team and CAJ anything's possible. RTR

Last edited:

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Isn't it amazing we're talking about championship possibilities in basketball? The future certainly looks promising. Hopefully we can continue the forward momentum and build the program up to respectability again.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.