Brent Key is interior OL coach; Cristobal to T/TE; Williams to off-field position

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Brent Key to be Alabama OL coach

I don't get the criticism of the o-line. They paved the way for the greatest single rushing season in SEC history and won the inaugural award for the best offensive line in the country. Henry didn't exactly juke his way to all of those yards either. Most of the long touchdown runs he was untouched. It's almost impossible to have a dominant run blocking AND pass blocking line. The best scenario is to be dominant in either run/pass blocking and just try to hold up in the other. I will admit that the TFL, sacks and pass blocking need to be improved - although some of those plays are on the coaching staff and the scheme. I'm not against the coaching change but lets not act like the entire o-line play was terrible..
Folks can ... I just don't know... OL Got better after Georgia game... but no one wants to focus on that. they wanted to nitpick on every single thing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Folks can ... I just don't know... OL Got better after Georgia game... but no one wants to focus on that. they wanted to nitpick on every single thing.
TFL and Jake scrambling for his life (all season) gives us reason. And I'm not being overly harsh here, but I'm happy we'll have a new RT this fall.

Yes, the OL was good, and yes, they could have been better. They don't have to be Bama's 2012 OL to be consistently effective, but when your QB has to scramble / take shots as much as Coker did and you are one of the worst teams in the country in TFL, the OL isn't what it should be.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

TFL and Jake scrambling for his life (all season) gives us reason. And I'm not being overly harsh here, but I'm happy we'll have a new RT this fall.

Yes, the OL was good, and yes, they could have been better. They don't have to be Bama's 2012 OL to be consistently effective, but when your QB has to scramble / take shots as much as Coker did and you are one of the worst teams in the country in TFL, the OL isn't what it should be.
It may be Coach Saban felt the same way.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

Travis Reier ‏@travisreier 9m9 minutes ago
Would be awesome if Saban kept the new STs a secret. Some of ya'll would freak out not knowing who to fire every week. #TrollTide

LOL

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't get the criticism of the o-line. They paved the way for the greatest single rushing season in SEC history and won the inaugural award for the best offensive line in the country. Henry didn't exactly juke his way to all of those yards either. Most of the long touchdown runs he was untouched. It's almost impossible to have a dominant run blocking AND pass blocking line. The best scenario is to be dominant in either run/pass blocking and just try to hold up in the other. I will admit that the TFL, sacks and pass blocking need to be improved - although some of those plays are on the coaching staff and the scheme. I'm not against the coaching change but lets not act like the entire o-line play was terrible..
It really was sketchy at times. DH made a lot of big runs but there were many more where he got hit behind the LOS and never got going. It was mind numbing how often we'd have a busted coverage and he'd get tackled for a loss and then we'd turn around a couple of plays later and open a massive hole.

And pass blocking was below average quite often too. Jake was more nimble than many thought and got out of trouble a lot but he also took a lot of sacks.

Bottom line, there is lots of room for improvement and with a new, young qb it'll only help!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Travis Reier ‏@travisreier 9m9 minutes ago
Would be awesome if Saban kept the new STs a secret. Some of ya'll would freak out not knowing who to fire every week. #TrollTide

LOL
TR hit this one. It's been posted over and over that it's a "committee job." CBW has never been more than just the committee chair. It's the norm with most college teams - just too many different skills involved...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Can't fire the special teams coach if he doesn't exist...dang it Saban, you're smarter than all of us.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

I think STs coordinator is Coach Saban, and he won't coach the players to turn their heads when the ball is near......oh wait. Lol

Blue font don't work on my phone.

Maybe he is hiring Coach Frank Beamer as a GA and he can handle STs. The oldest GA ever!

Blue font still not working.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

The one thing I'm virtually certain of in this is that Bobby Williams didn't move involuntarily. There have been a couple of times over the last few seasons where the staff here had heard that he was considering retiring as a field coach (the first time after his son Nick, who was a walk-on WR, graduated). Once it was supposedly a done deal, and then it wasn't. My guess here is that Saban had the opportunity to hire Key (who he'd targeted at least once before) and Williams probably took the opportunity to go ahead and move to a desk job. It doesn't hurt that special teams had a performance for the ages against Clemson and Williams gets to go out on top. But I'd rate the chances that he got fired or forcibly moved, even in the name of "improvement", to be quite low.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

CNS wouldn't have brought him on staff if he didn't provide something we need. T'aint worried about who goes where here, I trust CNS and it ain't my job to coach...:D

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

With Bobby being an assistant to Saban of some sort, I suppose Saban keeps access to his knowledge and Bobby gets yelled at a little less.

The special teams thing, it does seem more apparent than ever it will be by committee. Though for what it's worth Key was officially a special teams coach for one year.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

There was no doubt we were better with Stoutland coaching but there are some "*" with that. Stoutland did not recruit well and left us with less talent to work with in his absence. Stoutland also had the advantage of having Fluker at right tackle who was a rare talent.

Coach Cristobal did not do a bad job in my opinion and some of his struggles are due to the lack of top talent we had. Cristobal has recruited well and amazingly won a national championship and had a 2000 yard rusher with basically one true game ready tackle. (Dominick was a guard in my opinion). I don't see this as a negative for Cristobal because our struggles were more at the tackle and he's still involved with them. What I do see is that we have failed to develop talent at tight end. Howard had a great playoff run but prior to that he under performed relative to his physical gifts. Plus no other tight end has played well in recent years. In fact the last guy who was a difference maker was Colon Peek way back in 2009. I believe Cristobal was moved to fix this problem. Since the blocking for tight ends and tackles are very similar he will work with both.

Where I think we need a change is run blocking. Under Stoutland we were more physical moving people off the ball. We had an "ok" line last season that was made better by a once in a generation talent (Henry). Though I am high on Bo I don't expect him to be Henry and his previous knee injury means I don't want him taking hits in the backfield as often as Henry did. Henry proved to be almost inhuman in his ability to stay healthy. No other back we have had under Saban has shown the ability to take such a load without slowing down. I would be surprised if Bo were able to equal that feat and to bet on that would be stupid so I'd like to see our line do a better job at run blocking.

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

This is not an idea that just came from this season... but the entire time since CMC has been here. No one expects a repeat of 2012 every year... and I agree an OL group WILL generally have a strength/weakness. However, if you couldn't see the issues with pass blocking/whifs/penalties last year, you're letting a championship cloud your vision.

Any OL coach will tell you that it's easiest to teach a kid run blocking - the thing that's difficult is to teach pass pro skills. As such, we should always expect an OL group to be strong in run blocking. Coaching and player development for most kids with size/ability is going to be measured by their progress in pass protection.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

This is not an idea that just came from this season... but the entire time since CMC has been here. No one expects a repeat of 2012 every year... and I agree an OL group WILL generally have a strength/weakness. However, if you couldn't see the issues with pass blocking/whifs/penalties last year, you're letting a championship cloud your vision.

Any OL coach will tell you that it's easiest to teach a kid run blocking - the thing that's difficult is to teach pass pro skills. As such, we should always expect an OL group to be strong in run blocking. Coaching and player development for most kids with size/ability is going to be measured by their progress in pass protection.
Pretty sure I mentioned that in my post that you quoted. - I will admit that the TFL, sacks and pass blocking need to be improved

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.