B1G West floundering in recruiting again.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
I'm hoping Nebraska will turn their program around. I don't know tho, recruiting has changed since the Osborne ERA.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm hoping Nebraska will turn their program around. I don't know tho, recruiting has changed since the Osborne ERA.
Recruiting hasn't changed that much... THEIR recruiting has changed, because they no longer recruit nationally to the scale they did before.

They're going to have to find a coach that is an overachiever in order to gain recruiting ground back. Otherwise they'll just be a middle of the pack team, who every once in a while wins 10 games.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The cotton belt is blessed with 6-5 300lbs 4.7 guys that is not matched per capita anywhere else. This will not last for ever. Very simailar to South Florida and speedy skill players. The south is just blessed for the next few generations or so.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Who disappeared? I remember it being called the "big 2 and the little eight" back in the sixties and seventies.
Teams in the B1G had ebbs and flows, back before college football became a huge monetary force. The Midwest used to produce a lot of football talent, relatively speaking, and most of it stayed close to home. The world has changed, and schools simply cannot keep in-state talent anymore. This has lifted programs like OSU and Alabama to new heights, but eliminated even the tiny hope that smaller programs in the P5 conferences used to have of putting together an awesome team and making a run at a championship.

But, as I have said in other threads, this actually helps the B1G schools at the top. A weaker 12 game regular season schedule means a higher probability that OSU makes it to the playoff each year.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The steep and steady decline of Nebraska football is not something a lot of people saw coming, and as others have said I don't see that trend reversing anytime soon. Also, it's worth noting that Osborne feasted for years on a much easier Big 8 schedule where he only had to play Oklahoma(whom he had an abysmal record against), the remaining 6 weak sisters of the conference, and usually a cupcake OOC schedule of 4 other teams in most years. That is no more the case in the Big 10.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Teams in the B1G had ebbs and flows, back before college football became a huge monetary force. The Midwest used to produce a lot of football talent, relatively speaking, and most of it stayed close to home. The world has changed, and schools simply cannot keep in-state talent anymore. This has lifted programs like OSU and Alabama to new heights, but eliminated even the tiny hope that smaller programs in the P5 conferences used to have of putting together an awesome team and making a run at a championship.

But, as I have said in other threads, this actually helps the B1G schools at the top. A weaker 12 game regular season schedule means a higher probability that OSU makes it to the playoff each year.
That is a dual threat (if I may :) ) the weaker conference gives a better chance of win total but the weaker conference also gives a better chance of losing votes. I went back to 1960 and Ohio State or Michigan have won or tied for the B1G 38 times in 45 years. The B1G East has only won or tied 20 times.

This is like Oklahoma/Texas running wild in the Big 12 South over the poor North.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
They should combine the 12 best from the BIG and the Big 12 then spread the remaining weak sisters between the MAC, the PAC and the Sunbelt but I can't see this really happening because it would make for a tougher schedule for OSU to play. OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, ND, UT, UO, OK St, Baylor and Tx Tech would make up a pretty decent conference.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just an observation, but none of the states where B1G West teams reside offer very little in the way of high profile high school athletes. Historically when NU was a top tier program all of their skill position top recruits were not from Nebraska but Texas, California and Florida. Their OL were the big lumbering types from Nebraska, Iowa etc. Those states simply do not have a high AA population and those school rely on NAA to fill out their rosters.
And it is a bit chilly in Nebraska, so getting a kid from Florida to go there (regardless of race) might be a tough sell when your away games will be in balmy climes like Madison, Iowa City and Minneapolis.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They should combine the 12 best from the BIG and the Big 12 then spread the remaining weak sisters between the MAC, the PAC and the Sunbelt but I can't see this really happening because it would make for a tougher schedule for OSU to play. OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, ND, UT, UO, OK St, Baylor and Tx Tech would make up a pretty decent conference.
Not everyone is foolish enough to want to run an SEC gauntlet every year.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Not everyone is foolish enough to want to run an SEC gauntlet every year.
Aw C'mon man. I know what, next time the SEC wants to expand, maybe they attempt to land tOSU and Michigan! tOSU to the East Division, and Michigan to the West Division, and they can keep each other as traditional opponents so that they can keep that rivalry going. Isn't that a great idea!?WOW! What a conference!

Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Aw C'mon man. I know what, next time the SEC wants to expand, maybe they attempt to land tOSU and Michigan! tOSU to the East Division, and Michigan to the West Division, and they can keep each other as traditional opponents so that they can keep that rivalry going. Isn't that a great idea!?WOW! What a conference!

Roll Tide!
I love watching SEC football, but am very happy to not be in it. :wink:

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
:biggrin::tongue:
I think it's refreshing that a problem in college football is being discussed without someone blaming it on Saban. :cool:
Well you know if Coach Saban had stayed at Michigan State, MSU would have been moved to the West Division and we wouldn't be discussing this issue:eek:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.