2016 LSU football discussion thread (all LSU posts here)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: 2016 LSU football discussion thread

The state of Louisiana is full of melty goodness these days. The middle aged guys and gals who drug their LSU gear out of mothballs when CNS came are now watching many of their sons and daughters turn into........
................. (wait for it )......................
.....................ALABAMA FANS!!!

Seriously, I see Alabama stickers and gear everywhere. The state is being processed, and it's killing the old faithfuls.
Had two "converts" at our church after the NCG against Clemson. Both were LSU "fans" but their kids liked Alabama. They said, and I quote "It's hard not to get caught up in the 'Roll Tides' and how Bama plays the game. Especially when your kids are hoopin and hollerin' in the living room all the time."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Yes, they need to beat Alabama, or win the SEC. One or the other. I still don't think they honestly think of Alabama as their rival any more than we do, they just hate Nick Saban. Rather, they hate that Nick Saban wound up at Alabama. I agree with 81, if they lose to us yet somehow go 10-2 or 11-1 and win the SEC, the fans will be happy.

But if they're undefeated when we go to Death Valley, and we beat them again, and go on to win the SEC again, Miles is gone.

I also agree Butch Jones is in a make or break season at Tennessee. So is Gus Malzahn. And Kevin Sumlin.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Had two "converts" at our church after the NCG against Clemson. Both were LSU "fans" but their kids liked Alabama. They said, and I quote "It's hard not to get caught up in the 'Roll Tides' and how Bama plays the game. Especially when your kids are hoopin and hollerin' in the living room all the time."
Man I'd be devastated if my kids did that. I stuck it out with my dad as an Alabama fan through the toughest of times: 1997-2006. I'd hate it if my kids couldn't endure through what has still been a good tenure like Miles has had at LSU.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Yes, they need to beat Alabama, or win the SEC. One or the other. I still don't think they honestly think of Alabama as their rival any more than we do, they just hate Nick Saban. Rather, they hate that Nick Saban wound up at Alabama. I agree with 81, if they lose to us yet somehow go 10-2 or 11-1 and win the SEC, the fans will be happy.

But if they're undefeated when we go to Death Valley, and we beat them again, and go on to win the SEC again, Miles is gone.

I also agree Butch Jones is in a make or break season at Tennessee.
So is Gus Malzahn. And Kevin Sumlin.
Sumlin and Malzahn, agreed. Jones . . Not the vibe I get here in mid-TN. Win one more game, especially if against us or Florida, and beat Jawga again, and he will be in ObKnoxville if he wants to be.

The Kiffin - Dooley years left deep scars in Vile nation. :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Sumlin and Malzahn, agreed. Jones . . Not the vibe I get here in mid-TN. Win one more game, especially if against us or Florida, and beat Jawga again, and he will be in ObKnoxville if he wants to be.

I forgot that they did actually beat Georgia last year. That helps.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Saban's involvement is more like adding insult to injury. The losses themselves have been almost operatically painful:

2011 BCS -- Humiliated in a quest for a perfect season. IN LOUISIANA, no less.
2012 -- Had us beat, then AJ tore out their heart and held it in front of them.
2013 -- The least painful of the bunch
2014 -- Again, had us beat only to see us mount an epic comeback.
2015 -- Not only did we beat them badly, not only did we ruin their perfect season, not only did we end Fournette's Heisman hopes, but then Henry wins the Heisman and we win the BCS.

That's some serious angst there. I LOVE IT.

The two home losses in 2012 and 2014 are the ones they are talking about and talk about ripping ones heart out. If I was a corndog I'm not sure I could have made it past the '14 game after witnessing the '12 game.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I get the same feeling here in west TN. The guys at my church are resigned to losing to Bama every year as long as CNS is the coach.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I was a bit surprised that LSU had such a good recruiting year considering Les Miles is still very much on the hot seat.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If LSU wants to win the west they really need to be more multiple on offense. The I-formation is simple for the defense to defend and scheme against. It's very hard for the offense to have the advantage in the I-formation without a mental error or bust by the defense. Conversely, a 4 WR set almost always give the schematic advantage to the offense. The play calling is much more unpredictable plus the offense can almost always find a favorable match-up when everything is spread out. Is Les willing to expand his offensive philosophy at all or will he continually run Fournette into the teeth of opposing defenses?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I was a bit surprised that LSU had such a good recruiting year considering Les Miles is still very much on the hot seat.
LSU's recruiting hasn't made much sense for a while. They have absolutely sucked at QB and the passing game under Miles (save one year with Mett) and yet they keep reeling in the top WR talent in the country. Explain that one.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think most of the WR talent is coming straight out of LA high schools, right? If not there, from their connections in recruiting around East Texas.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

LSU's recruiting hasn't made much sense for a while. They have absolutely sucked at QB and the passing game under Miles (save one year with Mett) and yet they keep reeling in the top WR talent in the country. Explain that one.
Being the only major program in that state - Louisiana - keeps talent flowing to Baton Rouge when programs in states with competition [MS,AL,GA, SC, for examples] would struggle for wasting it the way the swamp tiggers have.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Being the only major program in that state - Louisiana - keeps talent flowing to Baton Rouge when programs in states with competition [MS,AL,GA, SC, for examples] would struggle for wasting it the way the swamp tiggers have.
With players being more "I-I-I/Me-Me-Me" minded now days and wanting to get into a program/system that compliments their talents. I'm surprised going to a home town school plays that big of a role. Especially seeing that college station and other schools that have much better passing games aren't that far away.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

With players being more "I-I-I/Me-Me-Me" minded now days and wanting to get into a program/system that compliments their talents. I'm surprised going to a home town school plays that big of a role. Especially seeing that college station and other schools that have much better passing games aren't that far away.
Some would consider Bama in this thought process as well but most guys want to compete at the highest level and in LSWho's case play for the home team. I think the majority still think this way.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

This is one reason I would like to see Tulane back in the SEC.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

We all can see that LSU is loaded with talent at most positions. I do think that they've improved their defensive staff hiring the DC from Wisconsin. As many have said before, they will not get their offense turned around without a QB and at least some change is their scheme. I think Les is a very head strong person and he's going to do it his way(I Formation) win or lose. Contrast that with CNS being willing to tweak our run first history by hiring CLK and having great success in doing so!
LSU fans need to see at least some improvement in play calling and scoring or Les is done.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

I still don't think they honestly think of Alabama as their rival any more than we do, they just hate Nick Saban.
I respectfully disagree. My brother is a swamp kitten; lives in Baton Rouge. LSWho has hated Alabama for a long time, and saw Bama as their rival far more than Bama fans understand or recognize. Saban coming to Bama turned the hate into a gothic, over-the-top type hate, but the hate / rivalry was already there on their side. I don't know the origin or have an explanation why they feel that way, but they do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.