Update on TIDE-HSV

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I was surprised they were calling it "Norco." I thought everyone just used the generic "hydrocodone," instead of Norco or Lortab. I've actually been off and on it many times with orthopedic surgeries. I have several bottles stuck back at any given time. The main reason, is that I have a mutation in the enzyme CYP450-2C19 which metabolizes many drugs, codeine, for one and hydrocodone is a close analog. You don't tend to take much of a drug is if just doesn't do much for you. Some drugs, I'm an ultra-fast metabolizer of, Vallium for example. With Nexium, the statement was "It is doubtful this subject can attain a therapeutic level...
Geez, what is it with us old guys, I can identify as I have similar problems with a variety of drugs...anyhow glad you're doing well. Let's see now, sleep interrupted, physical discomfort, general annoyance resulting from severely limited activities? Sounds like you'll be in a perfect frame of mind for moderating these forums.... :biggrin:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Norco has less tylenol in it than lortab or vicodin. It's pretty easy to get toxic levels of tylenol, since it's in so many other medications.
Yep. Lortabs had 500 mg of tylenol, while norco only has 325mg. Considering that many people first took 2-3 tylenol, and then a lortab if the tylenol didn't work, a lot of people were screwing up their livers.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Actually went off the Norco today...
After a back injury I'll deal with as much pain as I can before I ever start taking opiates on a daily basis.

Glad you're on your way to recovery.

My dad walked a mile a day into his eighties. He didn't pass due to heart failure.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Good luck Earle! You will be feeling much better in a few months, better than you have in a while (at least I have that on pretty good authority).
Godspeed.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Actually, I'm sitting up and I've already done a "lap," after being gotten up at 3:00. They come in and do something to you every hour through the night. They don't seem to feel like "rest" is necessary for healing...
Good news they caught this early and surgery went well. I understand those 'regular visits' in the hospital from my Dad's joint replacements (2 knees, 1 hip) and deliveries of our 2 kids.

Glad to hear you're out and home. Best wishes to ya sir.

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Sounds like Earl is doing just fine. I forced him to chastise me somewhat ( I deserved it) on the basketball game thread today. All the best to him.
Good news they caught this early and surgery went well. I understand those 'regular visits' in the hospital from my Dad's joint replacements (2 knees, 1 hip) and deliveries of our 2 kids.

Glad to hear you're out and home. Best wishes to ya sir.

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
Earle,

I know I don't know you, nor have we ever met, but it brings me joy to know you are doing much better. Thanks for what you do on Tide Fans!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Best wishes Earle. I hope you recover quickly. You'll be stronger than before. And good for you to get off the hydrocodone. You don't need that stuff if you can help it.
To tell the truth, because of my genetics, it really doesn't do much for me, anyway, so it's no trouble to get off of it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.