Apple ordered to assist FBI in cracking iPhone of dead terrorist

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Apple Unlocked iPhones for the Feds 70 Times Before

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-times-before.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

So, is this just a publicity stunt or doe the Feds want the keys to the lock this time?
I don't put much weight to any article that doesn't source the 70 prior incident's facts. There are things that may be unlike this order. Apple has taken some hardware-level changes in their iOS devices over the last few years too. Not all of Apple's phones are secured in such a way that requires a backdoor entry to bypass the encryption.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Shouldn't the FBI be more convened with the investigation of a living person who may become its boss and her emails than what they can find on a phone not owned by a dead guy?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I would have preferred that this story was never made public.

IMHO, in matters of national security, sometimes the public does not really need to know.

I don't care how you do it - just get the job done!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

IMHO, in matters of national security, sometimes the public does not really need to know.

Then the US Government should never have tried to force Apple to do this - Apple made it public in hopes that the outcry would force the government back into the hole it belongs in.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
One thing that will be interesting to see is how Microsoft would respond if asked to do the same on a TPM Windows machine with BitLocker encryption. Does anyone know of any cases of this?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

The whole point is that there is nothing Apple can do to help them regarding this phone (or any iPhone with iOS 8 or 9). So, they can't just get the job done. The FBI and politicians are trying to use public opinion to force Apple to develop a weaker version of iOS but, that won't help them with this phone since there is no way to install iOS without erasing the encrypted device first. AES has been around since 2001 and it hasn't been cracked yet, the FBI is asking for the impossible.

I'm tired of giving up my freedoms in the name of national security and I hope and pray that Apple and other tech companies stand strong against these attacks on encryption. Sacrificing the security of millions of Americans with the hope of catching a few bad guys is just wrong. Everyone needs to read the article rgw posted, it explains why Apple can no longer extract data from iOS 8 and 9. This was done to protect us and our data in a world that is under attack everyday by criminals desperate to steal your stuff.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The whole point is that there is nothing Apple can do to help them regarding this phone (or any iPhone with iOS 8 or 9). So, they can't just get the job done. The FBI and politicians are trying to use public opinion to force Apple to develop a weaker version of iOS but, that won't help them with this phone since there is no way to install iOS without erasing the encrypted device first. AES has been around since 2001 and it hasn't been cracked yet, the FBI is asking for the impossible.

I'm tired of giving up my freedoms in the name of national security and I hope and pray that Apple and other tech companies stand strong against these attacks on encryption. Sacrificing the security of millions of Americans with the hope of catching a few bad guys is just wrong. Everyone needs to read the article rgw posted, it explains why Apple can no longer extract data from iOS 8 and 9. This was done to protect us and our data in a world that is under attack everyday by criminals desperate to steal your stuff.
Some idiot Fox news presenter said that Apple doing this is a "Victory for ISIS"

morons

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Too bad they didn't use Touch ID. I'm assuming the fingerprints on the corpse were still intact.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Some idiot Fox news presenter said that Apple doing this is a "Victory for ISIS"

morons
I can't agree more. The idiocy shown by various Fox News hosts and commentators on this topic is over the top. But, I will credit Judge Andrew Napolitano for trying to educate the Fox & Friends hosts on the matter earlier this week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.