Miracle Worker

fourbama

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
How are we gonna hang on to coach Avery? Every college and NBA team with an opening is gonna come after him now. Great Job Coach Avery and Bama Baskeball is fun again

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Avery wants to be in college. It will be a few years before we have to do the yearly Saban fret

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I have no hesitation in calling him the best coach we've ever had. And when I was in school at UA, the Coach was C.M. Newton, and his Asst. was Wimp Sanderson. It's not even close. sip

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, best ever is a bit of hyperbole when you've had CM Newton and Wimp Sanderson. BUT... he's light years ahead of the last guy, and while I won't deny Gottfried accomplished a lot early in his tenure, Johnson has done things with this team that I don't believe Gottfried could have done. So he's the best since Sanderson, I'd say.

We've still got so much basketball left, and nothing is a given especially this year. Every team has proven itself capable of pulling the upset so I won't take anything for granted the rest of the way but wow are we in an unbelievable position right now. I'm so impressed with what this team has accomplished, and I agree, if it comes down to it, WRITE THE CHECK.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I have no hesitation in calling him the best coach we've ever had. And when I was in school at UA, the Coach was C.M. Newton, and his Asst. was Wimp Sanderson. It's not even close. sip
multiple sweet 16s and 10+ players put into the NBA.....is on Sanderson's resume.....10 NCAA tournament appearances in 12 years.....6 sweet 16s.....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=alabama
List of players Bama has put into the NBA/ABA

Love CAJ -- very very happy with his results....but....don't contract out the Statue, just yet.

Last edited:

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
A big fat contract, and fill more seats for those early December games against the geography test schools.

It is amazing the difference one person can make. Now, the players believe in the coach, and he believes in them. I shudder to think how this roster would have played under the previous coach.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I'll agree with you when he hangs THREE consecutive SEC (that conference with Kentucky in it) Basketball Championship banners in the basketball arena. As did C. M. Newton.

Think about it! It's akin to Kentucky hanging THREE consecutive SEC (that conference with Alabama in it) Football Championship banners in their football stadium. Kentucky will NEVER have three SEC Football Championship banners. Much less THREE STRAIGHT!

Edit: By naming C. M. Newton to assist him with the 1984 USA Olympic Basketball team, Bobby Knight all but admitted that C. M. 's 1976 Bama team was better than his Indiana team. They were! I know it, you know it and Bobby Knight knows it!

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm definitely happy and impressed with CAJ's performance and excited about B-Ball again. Any Bama B-Ball fan should be. I'm also impressed with Retin's performance and leadership. Once CAJ turned this horse outta the gate he's pulled away from the field IMO. If he's not drafted I'll be surprised.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I'll agree with you when he hangs THREE consecutive SEC (that conference with Kentucky in it) Basketball Championship banners in the basketball arena. As did C. M. Newton.
Actually, other than being hailed as the Father of Modern 'Bama Basketball, I'm of the opinion Throckmorton (C.M.) underachieved, as tough as that might be to document from his record, while Wimp Sanderson definitely overachieved by any measure as 'Bama's coach.

Newton won SEC championships with a ton of post-integration talent, and should've won that storied matchup with undefeated IU in N'awlins, talent being essentially a toss-up, even with IU's three first-team All-Americans.

Wimp won with a great deal of undiscovered talent that he nurtured along into 'Bama's most dominant stretch of basketball.

And remember: Wimp was C.M.'s long-time assistant, but I never had the feeling after Newton's first couple of years that either of them could lead the program to a national championship, despite pulling as hard for both of them to succeed as possible. And then LSU got to the Final Four on three occasions, even Miss. State reached it, and the Barn was in reality closer than 'Bama, before finally Florida won a couple of basketball NCs while 'Bama after all this time was still on the outside looking in trying to crash the party. Just maybe...maybe the time is coming.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm definitely happy and impressed with CAJ's performance and excited about B-Ball again. Any Bama B-Ball fan should be. I'm also impressed with Retin's performance and leadership. Once CAJ turned this horse outta the gate he's pulled away from the field IMO. If he's not drafted I'll be surprised.
He is a great player. He won't be drafted....the NBA Draft is usually pre-set....very hard to crack the 2 round draft if you aren't considered to start. Ben Simmons has be pre-ordained as the POY and 1st pick of the draft.....regardless of his performance.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Think about it! It's akin to Kentucky hanging THREE consecutive SEC (that conference with Alabama in it) Football Championship banners in their football stadium. Kentucky will NEVER have three SEC Football Championship banners. Much less THREE STRAIGHT!

Edit: By naming C. M. Newton to assist him with the 1984 USA Olympic Basketball team, Bobby Knight all but admitted that C. M. 's 1976 Bama team was better than his Indiana team. They were! I know it, you know it and Bobby Knight knows it!
While I agree with your sentiment, comparing Bama basketball to KY football is not even close. We have the 2nd most victories in the history of the SEC in basketball and as you point out we have won 3 SEC championships with CM and I believe at least 3 tourney SEC championships with Wimp in the last 50 yrs. I don't think you will find KY with anything close to this type of resume in football.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
While I agree with your sentiment, comparing Bama basketball to KY football is not even close. We have the 2nd most victories in the history of the SEC in basketball and as you point out we have won 3 SEC championships with CM and I believe at least 3 tourney SEC championships with Wimp in the last 50 yrs. I don't think you will find KY with anything close to this type of resume in football.
Only when Paul W. Bryant was their coach...

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I gave him a raise after the Florida win and all he did was go on and now beat LSU too! It's true, if I was DUKE I'd call coach Avery Johnson and ask him if he wants the job and if so, id fire coach K right now! LOL coach Johnson is that good! We just have to write some checks or at least I hope it's that easy!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I gave him a raise after the Florida win and all he did was go on and now beat LSU too! It's true, if I was DUKE I'd call coach Avery Johnson and ask him if he wants the job and if so, id fire coach K right now! LOL coach Johnson is that good! We just have to write some checks or at least I hope it's that easy!
Alright, simmer down now. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.