Trent Richardson Talks NFL and Alabama Career on Gary Harris Show

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Good interview, hoping the best for him. Would love to see him back in the league and be successful.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Good to hear from Trent. Sounds like he learned some hard and expensive lessons his first few years in the league. I really hope he gets another opportunity..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Can someone give me a summary of the show.. since I'm hearing impaired?
TR talked about his recruitment process, his time at Alabama, what it was like playing for Nick Saban, his time in the NFL and what he's doing now to get back in the NFL.

Recruitment process - TR said that it came down to Alabama or LSU. He said he felt more comfortable at Alabama while on his visits with Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, Kenyan Drake etc. He said that Emmitt Smith told him that his bet fit would be Alabama because at the time Florida was running a spread/shotgun offense.

Playing at Alabama - TR got emotional a few times talking about his time at Alabama. He talked about not only what he learned about the game of football but also about becoming a man off the field. TR spoke about not having his father in his life and that Burton Burns was his father figure. He said that the toughest part about leaving Alabama was telling Burton that he was turning pro.

Playing in the NFL - TR said he was completely blindsided when he was traded from Cleveland. He said that the Cleveland management would check with him before they hired certain coaches (running back coach) to make sure he was ok with the hire. TR rushed for 950 yards and 11 TDs in his first year with the Browns even though he missed multiple games with broken ribs. He was then traded the second week of the next year. He said it was very hard for him because he had planted roots in Cleveland. TR had nothing but good things to say about the Colts head coach Chuck Pagano. TR indicated that it may have been people above Pagano that did not think TR was the long term answer with the Colts. TR said he has been training with former Alabama player Mike McCoy at his training facility in Birminghan along with training with Cochran and others at Alabama. The host commented that TR looks noticeably slimmer and TR talked with a very positive attitude about getting back into the league this year. TR also spoke about some "expensive lessons" he learned during his first few years in the league and said that it was very hard to telling his children he doesn't have a job since he's been out of the league.

I'm sure I missed a few things but I hope this helped..

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
No doubt Trent has a second chance if he has done something profound to improve himself, like reading blocks and knowing where a hole will be. I think the GM's will lump the failures together and he will get a look. Being selected so highly, he should be financially set for life, but if he has the passion for the game, he has the ability.

It is a big mental leap from college to the NFL as a RB, and a lot of good backs have to adjust, it takes intelligence and skill. Reggie Bush and Ingram are great example for him to follow. Both had to learn their way and did.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
No doubt Trent has a second chance if he has done something profound to improve himself, like reading blocks and knowing where a hole will be. I think the GM's will lump the failures together and he will get a look. Being selected so highly, he should be financially set for life, but if he has the passion for the game, he has the ability.

It is a big mental leap from college to the NFL as a RB, and a lot of good backs have to adjust, it takes intelligence and skill. Reggie Bush and Ingram are great example for him to follow. Both had to learn their way and did.
He's already had his second chance. This is 4th chance I do believe.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Very good interview - great questions and answers. Hope Trent gets another shot in the NFL this season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, one thing is clear. Trent has some tough luck. Going to Cleveland was far from ideal, and as has been mentioned playing with broken ribs doesn't make it very easy on a running back. Even then, he put up yards and he scored more rushing touchdowns than the entire team did the previous year.

Even though he was injured, his average his first year with Cleveland was 3.6. His average his last year in Indy was an uninspiring 3.3. The thing is, the lead rusher for the Browns last year, Crowell had an average of 3.8, which ranked him at 35th in the NFL. The lead rusher for Indy (Frank Gore) had an average of 3.7, which ranked 39th. Gore's average dropped .6 just by going from the 49ers to Indy.

I think we know some things went wrong, and some things are Trent's fault, but there's also little doubt that simply a better situation would put Trent's career average much closer to 4 yards per carry. He ended up in bad situations.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Physically, he ought to have several more miles on him and losing the weight certainly will help.

The biggest question is what has he learned from what went wrong and how is he planning to fix those things.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
That's a great interview, it reminded me why I am a big fan of Trent. He seems to have his head on straight, it won't surprise me if he gets another shot a pro ball. I hope he understands, if he doesn't make it back...he's far from being a bust at life in general. He's a winner in my book.

I especially got a kick out of his very brief Saban impression...he has Saban down pat, sounded just like him. I also appreciate hearing how positive Trent feels about having played for Saban, it's obvious Saban builds strong relationships with his players.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Trent signed his contract with the Browns in 2012. It was a 4 year $20.4 million guaranteed. Out of the $20.4 million TR probably got ~$13M after taxes and agent fees. That averages about $3.25M take home over the past 4 years. Consider that TR mentioned in the interview that he learned a lot of "expensive lessons" I highly doubt that he has much left of his rookie contract. I know he may have other streams of revenue such as endorsements and the like but I wouldn't think that TR is set for life financially based on what he's made so far..

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
If I heard correctly ... it sounds like he may get a shot with the Broncos. Again, I wish him the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.