Link: Charlie Strong's testimony sought in Louisville divorce

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Going to take the word of Big 12 coaches on this subject. Link
My rebuttal would be that you would never see that article if they had hired an exceptional coach.......they could have. They made a poor coaching decision.

And of course you are going to see other coaches defending strong, I doubt very many wanted us to fire Shula. You need to look at the fanbase for the truth, not other coaches.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My rebuttal would be that you would never see that article if they had hired an exceptional coach.......they could have. They made a poor coaching decision.
Really? Who do you believe they could have hired?

And of course you are going to see other coaches defending strong, I doubt very many wanted us to fire Shula. You need to look at the fanbase for the truth, not other coaches.
It's one thing to praise a coach for the job he's doing. It's something totally different to say the guy before him knew he left a pile of crap after ruining the program.

And it's a good idea to look to that fanbase for the truth. After all, they showed they are very realistic when they brought up Saban as a possible candidate.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
So where in the dickens are Little Ricky Spittoono and Poor Bobby Pity-trino when somebody could use a good fall guy or two?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I mean, I think the question is a GOOD one - WHO could Texas have hired that was already phenomenal OTHER than who they wanted with us and didn't get?

Urban was already in Columbus, Harbaugh Brothers were doing well in the NFL.......WHO exactly?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I cannot believe I am the only one that knew from day one, that the Strong hire was awful. Mismatch, sorry.

And its easy for us to defend him, but I watched games where 3 and 4 star athletes quit at half time against inferior talent.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

A legitimate alternative, in the form of one or more specific names -- taking into account what we did and didn't know at the time the decision to hire Strong was made -- would be a good thing right about now.

Really? Who do you believe they could have hired?

It's one thing to praise a coach for the job he's doing. It's something totally different to say the guy before him knew he left a pile of crap after ruining the program.

And it's a good idea to look to that fanbase for the truth. After all, they showed they are very realistic when they brought up Saban as a possible candidate.
I mean, I think the question is a GOOD one - WHO could Texas have hired that was already phenomenal OTHER than who they wanted with us and didn't get?

Urban was already in Columbus, Harbaugh Brothers were doing well in the NFL.......WHO exactly?
RTR91 and SBTF -- I agree 1,000%. It's many times easier to throw rocks after the fact than to make the call in the moment, in the presence of uncertainty, with no foolproof move, and no way to know the future.

I get this at work more often than I'd like to admit....someone is prattling on about how the proposal at hand is flawed, should be discarded, and the people who proposed it should be discredited. Then a brave soul speaks up and asks what the criticizer(s) would like to see...what's better?

All you can hear then is the white noise of airflow from the HVAC, in combination with vowels and 'R' and 'W' sounds from the erstwhile Greek chorus.

The older I get, the more I see it. And the more I see it, the more I hate it.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I don't think I would want my kid to be on an athletic team at Louisville. Aren't coaches supposed to be role models?
Perhaps . . in a different time and probably different place. Now, it is win games.

Lots of them.

The 'ville has had tasted success in both major revenue sports recently. It [ $$ ] has obviously gotten good to them.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look folks both CAN be true - Strong can be an inept head coach (I think he's overrated and like Weis got a load of credit for one fluke game) and the best they could get at the time. My hunch is they really had no plan other than Saban and then looked like idiots so much nobody would take it. They fired Mack on the assumption Saban was coming then had no clue how to act next.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I said it was a mismatch from day 1, and is why I am so vocal, along with many others.......just a bad fit for such a high profile school, an introvert, maybe not with the ladies. Not the type to throw stones later. The team quit playing in several games this year, that's all the evidence I need, no matter who the players are recruiting wise. They quit.

It all started with Mack Brown getting lazy recruiting, but that is far removed from what I saw THIS year. Charlie Strong will not be there this time next year. Lane Kiffin would be a better than Strong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I said it was a mismatch from day 1, and is why I am so vocal, along with many others.......just a bad fit for such a high profile school, an introvert, maybe not with the ladies. Not the type to throw stones later. The team quit playing in several games this year, that's all the evidence I need, no matter who the players are recruiting wise. They quit.

It all started with Mack Brown getting lazy recruiting, but that is far removed from what I saw THIS year. Charlie Strong will not be there this time next year. Lane Kiffin would be a better than Strong.
It's not "far removed" from Mack Brown when his players should be the senior leaders but weren't. Can't expect a bunch of freshmen and sophomores to lead over the guys that have been on campus for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well, I had argued many times that Strong should have waited one more year for the Florida job to open up. I'm guessing now he had to get out of Dodge, or Louisville as it may be.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Look folks both CAN be true - Strong can be an inept head coach (I think he's overrated and like Weis got a load of credit for one fluke game) and the best they could get at the time. My hunch is they really had no plan other than Saban and then looked like idiots so much nobody would take it. They fired Mack on the assumption Saban was coming then had no clue how to act next.
This is exactly right, Selma. They thought because they are Texas, that no coach (Saban included) would dare turn them down. When he did they had to scurry to get another plan together. At that time could they have done better than Strong? I don't know but they were saving face after CNS turned them down.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Lane Kiffen was available that year. (blue font?)

More seriously, Mark Dantonio would have been an interesting choice.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.