Link: Charlie Strong's testimony sought in Louisville divorce

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...ster-candidates-list-in-texas-coaching-search

Here's the list of who Texas considered. Now tell me who exactly should have gotten the job that wanted it:

Art Briles
Gus Malzahn
David Shaw
Jimbo Fisher
Les Miles
Kevin Sumlin
Charlie Strong
Jon Gruden
Todd Graham
James Franklin
Mike Gundy
Kirby Smart
Dabo Swinney
Mark Dantonio
Jim Mora Jr

Now let's be blunt and say this is the most ridiculous list in the history of coaching searches and not only because I'm wondering, "How did they leave Houston Nutt off a list that long?"

A list this long out there means a BUNCH of coaches immediately made clear they didn't even consider your job important enough to talk about. You could LITERALLY scratch off ALL of the NFL coaches plus O'Brien from this list at phase one. Ditto Saban and Meyer. The only possible choice, Chip Kelly, had a show cause and they weren't going to hire him anyway.

So now let's see what is left:

Art Briles
Gus Malzahn
David Shaw
Jimbo Fisher
Les Miles
Kevin Sumlin
Charlie Strong
Jon Gruden
Todd Graham
James Franklin
Mike Gundy
Kirby Smart
Dabo Swinney
Mark Dantonio
Jim Mora Jr

Now......if you know ANYTHING about Texas football, you can scratch three more names off of their list - Briles, Sumlin, and Mike Gundy. Why? They flat out WILL NOT admit they need to go grab a coach from another TEXAS school that is directly competitive with them - it's a pride issue, and you really have to have lived here to witness it firsthand. Alumni WOULD NOT STAND for them hiring any of those three, period. You can scratch Gruden as well since no guy who coached in the NFL and is making a fortune NOT coaching is missing the notion of college recruiting that much.

And you could also scratch Malzahn and Fisher since they were prepping for a big championship game and you were running the risk of getting turned down late. I think a SMART Malzahn takes the big money and runs, but can you REALLY say you think Gus Malzahn is any better of a coach than Strong as a head guy?

I don't buy that.

Shaw turned them down and so (by implication) did Dantonio. They were NOT going to hire Kirby Smart after getting dumped by Saban; such would have been a revenge hire, and I guarantee you those two were joined at the hip on this.

And do you REALLY think Miles was coming? And Graham was automatically ruled out as noted. So now you're down to:

Charlie Strong
James Franklin
Dabo Swinney
Jim Mora Jr

Can you REALLY say that in 2013 Strong was any worse or better than the ACTUAL REAL POSSIBLE CHOICES above?

Sure, Dabo looks good NOW - what about then?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Without knowing any of the details of this divorce situation, I thought Charlie Strong was a good hire for Texas and an upgrade over Mack Brown. I think his failure there has more to do with the University of Texas, not all of it but most of it. Perhaps he wasn't as good as Teddy Bridgewater made him look at Louisville, but he's not as bad as Texas has made him look.

At least he's made a lot of money. He's probably going to need it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As Bill pointed out, Texas did not have a whole lot to choose from at that time. At the time of the hire I thought Strong was an above average hire. I feel that in the long run though Strong will leave Texas with enough cash to live very comfortably. I also believe he is a better coordinator than HC and will land on his feet at a big time program. I do agree that Brown ran that program into the ground before he was forced out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Maybe Strong is another in the long line of coaches that can win at lesser schools but not be all that good at a powerhouse.

I spot Charlie a bit, though. Go look at little closer at how he's doing.

Blown out in first real big game by BYU
Lost by 3 to UCLA in Dallas
Lost 28-7 to Baylor's high octane offense that was punching in 38 points or more virtually every game
Lost by 5 to number 11 Oklahoma
Lost 23-0 on the road at #11 K State
Got drilled by playoff contender TCU
Got gut punched by Arkansas in the bowl game

(Thing is - this was a program in the ground with no offense; NONE of their losses could really be called upsets)

killed by Notre Dame (title contender until final week)
Lost close one to Cal
Lost by 3 to an Okie St team in the running for a playoff
Got killed by TCU, 50-7
Lost to an AWFUL Iowa State team that fired their coach
Lost to WVA
Lost to Texas Tech
Shocked Baylor (although to be fair it was like the Bears 4th string QB)

They're 11-14 but only three of those 14 losses could really be considered upsets, two of them this year.

And they've WON three upsets including stunning OU this past year.

This is probably a make or break year for Strong. I think he'll need 9-10 wins to keep his job. Their only tough back to back games are the two Oklahoma teams in early October. They SHOULD win eight games without breaking a sweat, nine if they beat one of the upper tier teams, and ten with a bit of luck.

And if they can get some Auburn luck, they can win 11.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...I get this at work more often than I'd like to admit....someone is prattling on about how the proposal at hand is flawed, should be discarded, and the people who proposed it should be discredited. Then a brave soul speaks up and asks what the criticizer(s) would like to see...what's better?

All you can hear then is the white noise of airflow from the HVAC, in combination with vowels and 'R' and 'W' sounds from the erstwhile Greek chorus...
Brekekekex koax koax?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe Strong is another in the long line of coaches that can win at lesser schools but not be all that good at a powerhouse.

I spot Charlie a bit, though. Go look at little closer at how he's doing.

Blown out in first real big game by BYU
Lost by 3 to UCLA in Dallas
Lost 28-7 to Baylor's high octane offense that was punching in 38 points or more virtually every game
Lost by 5 to number 11 Oklahoma
Lost 23-0 on the road at #11 K State
Got drilled by playoff contender TCU
Got gut punched by Arkansas in the bowl game

(Thing is - this was a program in the ground with no offense; NONE of their losses could really be called upsets)

killed by Notre Dame (title contender until final week)
Lost close one to Cal
Lost by 3 to an Okie St team in the running for a playoff
Got killed by TCU, 50-7
Lost to an AWFUL Iowa State team that fired their coach
Lost to WVA
Lost to Texas Tech
Shocked Baylor (although to be fair it was like the Bears 4th string QB)

They're 11-14 but only three of those 14 losses could really be considered upsets, two of them this year.

And they've WON three upsets including stunning OU this past year.

This is probably a make or break year for Strong. I think he'll need 9-10 wins to keep his job. Their only tough back to back games are the two Oklahoma teams in early October. They SHOULD win eight games without breaking a sweat, nine if they beat one of the upper tier teams, and ten with a bit of luck.

And if they can get some Auburn luck, they can win 11.
And something some don't consider - he had to start a true freshman QB in his first year on campus. That's never a good thing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And something some don't consider - he had to start a true freshman QB in his first year on campus. That's never a good thing.
Yeah I don't watch Texas much so didn't know that. But he needs a 2005 Shula-esque year to stay on.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Requesting the clothes and watch that she gave him? Wow...

And dude is going for the throat. Gonna get messy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.