Mel Kiper thinks Reuben Foster is a better prospect than Reggie Ragland

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I've suspected Kiper's hype for a player has more to do with his relationship to said player's agent rather than an objective evaluation.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
All I need to know about Mel Kiper can be surmised by looking at his hair ......makes questionable decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
"I think Ryan Leaf is more mature than Drew Bledsoe, he is very much a grown up 21 year old."

And kiper followed the line of genius by saying that leaf's attitude was an asset and gave him a "mental edge" over Peyton manning.

He isn't an analyst and I wish ESPN would stop treating him like he is some kind of star. I get the draft is a crap shoot but when he miss (Dan McGwire and Brett are equal talents) he misses badly.

Foster is the better athlete, Ragland the better football player. Could foster be the better prospect come this time next year? Sure, but he has got to prove it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
didn't he also say that Andre Ware was going to be the best QB the NFL ever saw?
Pretty much, and Kiper admits he whiffed on that.

Of course, I'll spot Kiper this much........at least he's not responsible for actual drafting of players.

I still wanna know what moron decided to draft Tony Mandarich in 1989 for Green Bay. Go look at all the players around him and ask yourself.....what were they thinking? (It's the Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan move of NFL drafts).

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
As Selma mentioned he said he would retire if Jimmy Clausen didn't end up as a starting qb. I have many memories this year of Ragland running down very athletic guys to the edge. There's absolutely still a need for guys like Ragland. He and foster were number one out of high school, both tremendous athletes.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
NFL teams are going for those small ILB's these days. They want what were basically Strong Safeties at one point and time playing the position. Guys in that 6'1 225 pound range.
Mark Barron may be moving to LB for the Rams this year.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
He played OLB this past season and lead the team in solo tackles (79) and total tackles (116).
He did very well at OLB in '15 and the move may have not only saved his career, but might get him some additional contracts that he might not have gotten had he stayed in the defensive backfield. I am not so sure that he is not another Thomas Davis who is another former DB who was losing a career to saving his career and finding success at LB.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He did very well at OLB in '15 and the move may have not only saved his career, but might get him some additional contracts that he might not have gotten had he stayed in the defensive backfield. I am not so sure that he is not another Thomas Davis who is another former DB who was losing a career to saving his career and finding success at LB.
completely agree, but the funny thing is that with his measurables, he never would have been drafted as an OLB. He's a perfect example of how tainted the draft process has become with it's focus on measurables and combine numbers instead of production.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Since Ragland has moved on and Foster is going to be your leader on defense next year, this should be viewed as a real positive for Alabama.

My only concern with Ragland in the NFL relates to his lateral movement, but McClain has the same problem and is doing very well in the NFL.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Since Ragland has moved on and Foster is going to be your leader on defense next year, this should be viewed as a real positive for Alabama.

My only concern with Ragland in the NFL relates to his lateral movement, but McClain has the same problem and is doing very well in the NFL.
I respectfully disagree....McClain runs down people all over the field, both in college and the pros. Ragland maybe step slower than Reuben -- but from what I have seen his recognition/response time is at the top. He is not slow...but his good eyes and mind make him even faster.

Mel Kiper is the loudmouth clubhouse idiot whom everyone laughs at behind his back. His "pronouncements" sell and grab viewers...that's all ESPN really cares about.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Ragland dropped 12lbs from teh senior bowl to the weight in today - that should change some minds. Hopefully we'll see some impressive numbers from him in the agility drills.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.