Mel Kiper thinks Reuben Foster is a better prospect than Reggie Ragland

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reuben is more athletic but I'm not sure he's more intellectual. We'll find out this year..
He's not. And that's not a put down. He's not like Minkah Fitzpatrick. They both came in with the physical tools, but everyone was saying the same thing about Minkah in the pre-season last year "He just gets it." The players were all amazed at how cerebral he was with the game. Being that "Captain" of the defense takes a lot of different skills and it takes a quick mind to process everything that's going on.

Rueben had a lot to learn his first few years and will never be called a "quick study", HOWEVER, the great equalizer of Experience can make a slow guy seem fast. He knows the defense and he's seen all the offenses. Coach talks about young players thinking too much and not reacting instinctively - Reuben got to a point this last season where he was playing instinctively. I also think having a guy like Ragland to learn under and watch how he played the game helped tremendously. Certainly his physical tools will cover up some of the mental mistakes but he seemed to make far fewer last year and one can only imagine he will feel even more comfortable this year.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Agree with above, we will find out if Rueben can be the quarterback of the defense. I couldn't do it, it takes a special player. But as far as be a linebacker, Reuben could probably play many positions in the NFL and might be a better than Ragland.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Did I just read somewhere that Foster did great job commanding the defense this past Saturday and I think there was other player that was doing the same thing. Hand was doing the same as well?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Mel Kiper only looks at measurables -- and especially 40 times. For some reasons he doesn't seem to understand that most LB play is within 10 yards of the LOS. If I never hear his name again, it will not be too soon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since this thread is being brought back up and some aren't reading earlier posts, read Kiper's entire quote:

In a media conference call on Monday, Kiper said that Foster is faster and more athletic than Ragland, who he still projects to be a first-round pick.

“Reuben Foster gets from Point A to Point B faster (than Ragland) when I watch them,” Kiper said via Duane Rankin of the Montgomery Advertiser. “When I look at comparison, I don’t think (Ragland) is as fast or as athletic as Foster. I think Foster, next year, will be a better prospect than Ragland is this year.”

Ragland earned SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2015 and was projected to be selected by the New York Jets with the No. 20 pick in Kiper’s latest mock draft. According to Kiper, Foster is a better linebacker prospect than Ragland due in part to the evolution of football.

“In the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s, he would been a top-10 pick guaranteed, but coverage ability is going to be something,” Kiper said. “He was 259 [pounds] at the Senior Bowl. You’d like to see that weight down a bit. How effective will he be in coverage in the NFL? We know can he can get after the quarterback, you can move him around a little bit. He’s got some versatility there, but how he plays moving backward, not forward, is the concern for Reggie Ragland.”

Elephants Geral

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/2/24/11105258/reuben-foster-a-better-prospect-than-reggie-ragland

Thoughts?

How well does Reggie Ragland translate to the NFL? Is he another Donte Hightower in the NFL? Or a Rolando McClain? Or somewhere in between?
If I had to compare Reggie to any of our former LBs, I think he's somewhere between C.J. Moseley and Rolando. He's got good run down speed and is a smart player and a student of the game. IMHO, Reuben still has to prove himself in a leadership role. He has the speed and instincts but you also need to be a smart player to QB the defense. Time will tell....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.