Bama Returns 5 of Its Top 6 Sack Leaders

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Wonder how many of those sacks are a by-product of the likes of A Rob, J Reed, etc. all-but requiring double teams and such. To be clear, happy to have the players back that we do, however (see preceding) . . .

We'll begin to see in approx six months.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wonder how many of those sacks are a by-product of the likes of A Rob, J Reed, etc. all-but requiring double teams and such. To be clear, happy to have the players back that we do, however (see preceding) . . .

We'll begin to see in approx six months.
I wondered the same thing. But I also take heart in the secondary.

I'm guessing Fitzpatrick takes Cyrus Jones' spot, Ronnie Harrison takes over for Geno, and Humphrey and Eddie Jackson mature into stars. That is a formidable group, and an upgrade from what was already one of the nation's best last year.

The DL and DBs are symbiotic. Poor performance by either hurts the other, and good performance by either helps the other.

No doubt, the 2015 DL with A'Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed was our best ever. 2016's can be among the best in the country and still not match it's predecessor. Bottom line is that we won't be as good on the DL, but there's no shame in that, and we'll still be a force up front. I'm betting the improved DB offsets the slight falloff in the DL.

My main concern is LB. We're at least as talented as last year. Maybe more so. But the intangibles are uncertain there and it's hard to replace A'Shawn's leadership. They make all the difference between the Playoff and woulda-coulda-shoulda.

Last edited:
Here's how I see it. We have the pieces we need at each level and though maybe not as dominating on the line, the experience in droves is there. We have some in the wings just waiting to put on a show. We have a lot of speed too.

I don't think the performance in the CFPCG was the greatest and I think they know that. They'll be ready.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
A team that leads the nation in sacks and wins the national championship doesn't normally return 5 of their top 6 sack leaders...

Last edited:

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

I'm guessing Fitzpatrick takes Cyrus Jones' spot, Ronnie Harrison takes over for Geno, and Humphrey and Eddie Jackson mature into stars. That is a formidable group, and an upgrade from what was already one of the nation's best last year.

The DL and DBs are symbiotic. Poor performance by either hurts the other, and good performance by either helps the other.

No doubt, the 2015 DL with A'Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed was our best ever. 2016's can be among the best in the country and still not match it's predecessor. Bottom line is that we won't be as good on the DL, but there's no shame in that, and we'll still be a force up front. I'm betting the improved DB offsets the slight falloff in the DL.

My main concern is LB. We're at least as talented as last year. Maybe more so. But the intangibles are uncertain there and it's hard to replace A'Shawn's leadership. They make all the difference between the Playoff and woulda-coulda-shoulda.
Still curious who will be our nickel too, I guess Sheffield or Brown? Should be a a good camp battle

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There are always some holes that have to be patched with Alabama teams, and this year is no different. They managed to hang onto some key guys though and that changed things. If the pass rush is there, it can cover up for some areas that might otherwise not be strong points.

If you couple that with the potential for a really dynamic passing offense, and this team could be both unlike any Alabama team we've seen before and as good as any Alabama team we've seen before. We'll have to see though, it's not normal to win a championship, lose a few guys to the first round and then be back in the hunt again. But Nick Saban's Alabama teams are not normal.

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio

Look for Jonathan Allen to take over this role. Very intense guy with a 'no nonsense' attitude.

"ALABAMA DOES"

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
we reload each year as well as any team in college football. this year, we should have a top secondary to go with a top front seven. this team is now closer to being a stronger team against the dual qb teams. we have more speed at def end, linebackers, secondary. we have reached the edge rushers, and run stoppers needed on the edge. quicker, def ends, outside linebackers that can prevent the gaps seen in the Clemson game. its up to the offense to continue its growth at off line, rb, receivers, qb. I think they will be better on the off line, and competitive at rb, and qb. our receivers will be outstanding, depending on the qb, off line.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Don't forget how effective an older, more experienced Payne will be in the middle, too.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
we reload each year as well as any team in college football. this year, we should have a top secondary to go with a top front seven. this team is now closer to being a stronger team against the dual qb teams. we have more speed at def end, linebackers, secondary. we have reached the edge rushers, and run stoppers needed on the edge. quicker, def ends, outside linebackers that can prevent the gaps seen in the Clemson game. its up to the offense to continue its growth at off line, rb, receivers, qb. I think they will be better on the off line, and competitive at rb, and qb. our receivers will be outstanding, depending on the qb, off line.
Don't you just love it ?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.