Question: Just curious - Did Demetris Robertson Get to Campus?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Think bigger picture. The constant courting and attention that he's receiving from all of these universities and coaching staffs. He's had years to think about this and make a decision. If anyone still thinks this is about academia they are sadly mistaken..
I think it's pretty clear the kid is in love with the West Coast. I think his heart has been set on Stanford, and Cal is as close as he's going to get in terms of distance and academia. NSD is an arbitrary date set by the NCAA. I'm not going to a hold a kid to any sort of meaningless standard set by an outside entity.

What I can't believe though is that he would have an ACT score high enough for admittance to Cal-Berkley but not Stanford.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
According to his brother, he signed a financial aid agreement.... With California?

Unsigned 5-star WR Demetris Robertson signs aid agreement with California

Also, isn't this a violation for one of the programs? Didn't LSU get in trouble a year or so ago for a recruit signing a financial aid package with them and going somewhere else?

EDIT: Just found it & yep, it looks like one of these schools will be on the hook for a violation. http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11707183-123/records-lsu-slapped-with-recruiting

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think it's pretty clear the kid is in love with the West Coast. I think his heart has been set on Stanford, and Cal is as close as he's going to get in terms of distance and academia. NSD is an arbitrary date set by the NCAA. I'm not going to a hold a kid to any sort of meaningless standard set by an outside entity.

What I can't believe though is that he would have an ACT score high enough for admittance to Cal-Berkley but not Stanford.
That's why I said in a previous post that all this talk about him trying to get into Stanford was nonsense. Let me be clear, I'm not saying he is a bad person or anything I just think that he has taken the recruiting game to far, at this point. Life is full of hard choices that have arbitrary deadlines. At some point he has to sit down in a room with his family or whoever he trusts that is helping him make this decision and come up with what he wants to do..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Also, isn't this a violation for one of the programs? Didn't LSU get in trouble a year or so ago for a recruit signing a financial aid package with them and going somewhere else?

EDIT: Just found it & yep, it looks like one of these schools will be on the hook for a violation. http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11707183-123/records-lsu-slapped-with-recruiting
Yep. The school he doesn't sign with will have a "secondary violation" for contacting him during the quiet period.

I thought you could only do it to one school to give them unlimited contact?
Found this from a 2014 ESPN article:

So, in December, the NCAA, in an attempt to close this loophole before it became a giant mess, ruled that only the program that first signs a prospect to a financial aid agreement is allowed to publicize the signing and text or call at free will. In theory, it should fix the problem. There's not much incentive to accept a recruit's second signature when only the first school reaps the reward.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
That's why I said in a previous post that all this talk about him trying to get into Stanford was nonsense. Let me be clear, I'm not saying he is a bad person or anything I just think that he has taken the recruiting game to far, at this point. Life is full of hard choices that have arbitrary deadlines. At some point he has to sit down in a room with his family or whoever he trusts that is helping him make this decision and come up with what he wants to do..
But here's the thing I don't understand. The schools haven't put him on a deadline, and he clearly doesn't have a deadline, so why do YOU have a deadline?

The parties involved in the actual decision are completely fine with how it's progressing, but you, an outsider, have an issue with it. It seems weird.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
But here's the thing I don't understand. The schools haven't put him on a deadline, and he clearly doesn't have a deadline, so why do YOU have a deadline?

The parties involved in the actual decision are completely fine with how it's progressing, but you, an outsider, have an issue with it. It seems weird.
I feel like he should abide by the rules (or arbitrary date or whatever you want to call it) that all the other players abide by. I think it sets a bad precedent to have the recruiting period drag out this long. We can have different opinions on the same topic of discussion..

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
LOL. Are you having a bad day or something? I'm just discussing my opinion about the matter along with everyone else. I feel like he should abide by the rules (or arbitrary date or whatever you want to call it) that all the other players abide by. I think it sets a bad precedent to have the recruiting period drag out this long. We can have different opinions on the same topic of discussion. Why would you attempt to call someone out because they have a different opinion than you? It seems weird..
First of all, I'm having a great day.

Second of all, I'm not calling you out, I'm just asking why you seem to have an issue with something where the two parties involved don't have an issue. I must have missed something, where is he "breaking rules"?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
First of all, I'm having a great day.

Second of all, I'm not calling you out, I'm just asking why you seem to have an issue with something where the two parties involved don't have an issue. I must have missed something, where is he "breaking rules"?
Like I stated previously, I don't think it's a good direction to let a student athlete draw out the recruiting process well into March. I think it can have negative implications going forward if more athletes start doing this. Where do you stop it at? Can he wait up until April, May, June, July? That's the point of NSD. It's for the athletes to pick a school so the schools know what position they are in and so do the athletes. And trust me, right now the two parties involved don't have an issue but the schools who have held a spot for him and end up not getting him will have an issue because that spot could have gone to another player on NSD. Again, that's the point of NSD..

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I totally agree with Crimson Force. This young man is very talented and no doubt there are many teams who would like to have him. If CNS wants him, that's good enough for me, however I'm ready to move on and offer his scholarship to someone that wants to play for Alabama! Maybe a good kicker?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I totally agree with Crimson Force. This young man is very talented and no doubt there are many teams who would like to have him. If CNS wants him, that's good enough for me, however I'm ready to move on and offer his scholarship to someone that wants to play for Alabama! Maybe a good kicker?
I agree - talented kid, but I wouldn't hold a scholarship for him at this point. Let him do his thing. Move on.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I agree - talented kid, but I wouldn't hold a scholarship for him at this point. Let him do his thing. Move on.
Schools are dropping like flies, aren't they?

All the dates are set at the whim of the NCAA and for the benefit of the schools. Put another way, this will be the last time DR or his family will have much control over the next three to four years of his life. Why give that power away unless you're ready?

Any of the schools could have said adios weeks ago and have not. That's because all teams genuflect to talent -- even us, though not quite as deeply as most others.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think this young man is getting some questionable advice. He signs a financial aid package for Georgia Tech? From a academic standpoint, I get it because we all know GT is top notch. For football however, is he aware that they only throw the ball about 3 times a game? A receiver with his talent playing in that system makes no sense to me.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think this young man is getting some questionable advice. He signs a financial aid package for Georgia Tech? From a academic standpoint, I get it because we all know GT is top notch. For football however, is he aware that they only throw the ball about 3 times a game? A receiver with his talent playing in that system makes no sense to me.
Calvin Johnson says hello...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Calvin Johnson didn't play in Paul Johnson's offense, either. The better comparison would be Demaryius Thomas.
You're right.

Even though Chan Gailey's offense was like 90% run it feels like, it wasn't Johnson's option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Anyone heard anything new on Robertson? I saw a few teaser links that mentioned Robertson possibly committing to Alabama but I'm not a member of those sites..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Anyone heard anything new on Robertson? I saw a few teaser links that mentioned Robertson possibly committing to Alabama but I'm not a member of those sites..
I saw this twitter post (see 3rd post down) and bolt headline from Steve Wiltfong who is the national recruiting director for 247Sports which I believe you are referencing. Could be trending to us but hard to tell with the way this kids recruiting odyssey has gone.

https://twitter.com/SWiltfong247?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Thinking-Alabama-for-nations-No-1-WR-44202024

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.