Link: Trent Richardson Signs with Ravens (Update: Officially Has Signed)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Trent Richardson signs with ravens

Guess the Ravens weren't sold on TR or maybe they want to wait until after the draft to decide..

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

This is old, but it confirmed something for me.
The Browns let Trent go because they felt he "did not have great vision."
We traded Trent because we didn't think he had great vision. If you don't have great vision, a kind of feel for where the hole is going to be, you can have all the strength, the power, the measurables, all the things he did in college and you're going to struggle. It's just they're too fast, they're too big, they're too good at that level to have that weakness.
That said, I wish Trent well. I hope he gets to punishing defenders in the NFL quick.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

This is old, but it confirmed something for me.
The Browns let Trent go because they felt he "did not have great vision."
That said, I wish Trent well. I hope he gets to punishing defenders in the NFL quick.
I just don't buy the whole doesn't have great vision excuse. I went back and watched his college highlights and rookie year highlights and I don't see a back suffering from poor vision. For Pete sake he ran nearly 1000 yards as a rookie and give that he and running the football was an important part of the offense that year. Honestly I think the more appropriate reason is they probably over spent drafting him that high and saw an opportunity to cashout by trading him. You bet they talked him up while they were trying to trade him. Then they trashed him afterward to downplay their own roster mismanagement. Look these are the same buffoons who drafted manziel despite his documented character flaws.

He was traded to 2 teams that didn't emphasize running the ball to a significant degree. I think the guy can play and he ought to get the opportunity to play the way he did as a rookie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Hopefully TR gets one more shot cause a new team & different offense can reinvigorate NFL RB's in the right offense..TR has the talent to be a great NFL RB & a change of scenery for him may be what lights that "Beast mode" kinda fire he had at Bama..

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN

I just don't buy the whole doesn't have great vision excuse. I went back and watched his college highlights and rookie year highlights and I don't see a back suffering from poor vision. For Pete sake he ran nearly 1000 yards as a rookie and give that he and running the football was an important part of the offense that year. Honestly I think the more appropriate reason is they probably over spent drafting him that high and saw an opportunity to cashout by trading him. You bet they talked him up while they were trying to trade him. Then they trashed him afterward to downplay their own roster mismanagement. Look these are the same buffoons who drafted manziel despite his documented character flaws.

He was traded to 2 teams that didn't emphasize running the ball to a significant degree. I think the guy can play and he ought to get the opportunity to play the way he did as a rookie.

I really think his problem was that he got too big. All that muscle took away from his quickness and elusiveness IMO.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007

I think he literally has bad vision. Have you seen the glasses he wears? Looks like Coke bottles...I honestly think he literally can't see very well. Jmo.....

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I think he literally has bad vision. Have you seen the glasses he wears? Looks like Coke bottles...I honestly think he literally can't see very well. Jmo.....
I cannot imagine he has not had LASIK surgery suggested. My eyesight was terrible until 16 years ago. I still see 20/20 at a distance, but my arms are getting shorter.

I think his problem is lateral vision -- he just doesn't get it. To succeed at the pro level you have to either be physically dominant or good enough and intellectually capable of making the right move at the right time. He is not the former -- and the latter does not seem to be there. I'll root for him forever...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Trent Richardson Signs with Ravens (Update: Not Just Yet)

You can't base an opinion for the NFL on his college experience. The biggest fact that goes against your whole argument is that in his last season with the colts he started around 14 games and a guy who started 3 games who was drafted 100 picks after him ran for about the same amount of yards he did. His NFL vision has been a clear detriment to his play.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Internet honorary doctorates make people overvalue their opinion

On multiple posts daily

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

That is an interesting point. But how did his vision deteriorate so much in a year from Bama to the Browns, and how did his vision escape the scouts?(most are no better than us imo).
And think the reason he will get another chance, I know he will, is because I believe that this is more mental related than his eye site. I believe he was overrated, probably a 2nd rounder, and there was just too much pressure on him and he was not mentally prepared. His vision was good at Alabama, it was terrible in the pro's. He was not playing with the same confidence he had at Alabama, and it affected his judgement. This is going to be in the mindset of a team, they are going to put all of his bad in group, and he will be given another shot. Both Reggie Bush and Mark Ingram had problems out the gate and overcame them. Being thrown away by the Browns after so much pressure had to be deep in his mind. I think he will end up a good 2nd round back before all is settled. This time he will prove he can just play in the NFL, not be the next Jim Brown, who was right, Trent was overrated, but he is an NFL caliber RB, no doubt.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

Routing for Trent, but I'll bet anyone lunch that he doesn't pan out.

Can't win them all....RTR!!!!!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That is an interesting point. But how did his vision deteriorate so much in a year from Bama to the Browns, and how did his vision escape the scouts?(most are no better than us imo).
And think the reason he will get another chance, I know he will, is because I believe that this is more mental related than his eye site. I believe he was overrated, probably a 2nd rounder, and there was just too much pressure on him and he was not mentally prepared. His vision was good at Alabama, it was terrible in the pro's. He was not playing with the same confidence he had at Alabama, and it affected his judgement. This is going to be in the mindset of a team, they are going to put all of his bad in group, and he will be given another shot. Both Reggie Bush and Mark Ingram had problems out the gate and overcame them. Being thrown away by the Browns after so much pressure had to be deep in his mind. I think he will end up a good 2nd round back before all is settled. This time he will prove he can just play in the NFL, not be the next Jim Brown, who was right, Trent was overrated, but he is an NFL caliber RB, no doubt.
Maybe his vision didn't deteriorate as much as we think it did. Very possible he was able to overcome poor vision by being stronger and faster than so many defenders he faced in college. As we all know, strength and speed are fairly equal in the NFL, so Trent lost that small half second advantage he had to overcome his vision issue.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Maybe his vision didn't deteriorate as much as we think it did. Very possible he was able to overcome poor vision by being stronger and faster than so many defenders he faced in college. As we all know, strength and speed are fairly equal in the NFL, so Trent lost that small half second advantage he had to overcome his vision issue.
This.

Field vision isn't just "finding a hole and hitting it", it's much like chess and seeing a couple of steps ahead. In college he had the benefit of not only having one of the best (if not the best) offensive lines in the country, but he was a superior athlete to most everyone around him. He could pick a hole, run to it, and either beat people or truck people (or in Ole Miss case juke the same guy twice).

He didn't require a ton of field vision, because most everything was one cut and go. In the NFL the defenses got much tighter, lanes got smaller, seams had to be chosen more wisely, and he seemingly stumbled.

Everyone points to his rookie rushing record for the Browns as having a great year, but he was the only NFL back with over 230 attempts who finished with under 1000 yards. He also benefit in Cleveland from having one of the best offensive lines in football. Once he got to Indy, he didn't have a good offensive line. Couple that with the perceived vision problems, and it's easy to see why he failed there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

This.

Field vision isn't just "finding a hole and hitting it", it's much like chess and seeing a couple of steps ahead. In college he had the benefit of not only having one of the best (if not the best) offensive lines in the country, but he was a superior athlete to most everyone around him. He could pick a hole, run to it, and either beat people or truck people (or in Ole Miss case juke the same guy twice).

He didn't require a ton of field vision, because most everything was one cut and go. In the NFL the defenses got much tighter, lanes got smaller, seams had to be chosen more wisely, and he seemingly stumbled.

Everyone points to his rookie rushing record for the Browns as having a great year, but he was the only NFL back with over 230 attempts who finished with under 1000 yards. He also benefit in Cleveland from having one of the best offensive lines in football. Once he got to Indy, he didn't have a good offensive line. Couple that with the perceived vision problems, and it's easy to see why he failed there.

Then one of the biggest scout blunders in history
Still believe there is a middle ground of vision vs confidence. He was a 2nd round back, but capable of playing the NFL. I think we will see that in the future. It's so easy to acutely define as bad bad vision, I think there is more to the story, and it will continue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Former Browns CEO says Trent Richardson lacked 1 quality needed to excel as NFL running back

"I think the really smart general managers focus on a couple of qualities at certain positions that if you don't have, you won't succeed," Banner said. "We traded Trent because we didn't think he had great vision. If you don't have great vision, a kind of feel for where the hole is going to be, you can have all the strength, the power, the measurables, all the things he did in college and you're going to struggle. It's just they're too fast, they're too big, they're too good at that level to have that weakness.

"I think if you look at the really good running backs, they have a really good feel, a really good vision, whatever word you want to use for it, and at least at the time he was there, we didn't think he had that to be a really elite running back. So we thought we could get the pick, get a guy that maybe had that a little bit later and fill a different need. That was the thinking. It turned out to be right in that case."

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Then one of the biggest scout blunders in history
Still believe there is a middle ground of vision vs confidence. He was a 2nd round back, but capable of playing the NFL. I think we will see that in the future. It's so easy to acutely define as bad bad vision, I think there is more to the story, and it will continue.
I agree with you. I don't think he should be having such a hard time finding a home in the NFL. I think the biggest thing he needs is to go somewhere that blocking schemes tend to make running backs have less decisions to make.

In the past the Broncos zone blocking made it almost impossible to not be at least mildly successful, because it was predicated on giving the back a "one cut" and go kind of option (zone blocking is usually back friendly...plus the Broncos had a "dirty" offensive line).

I'm not sure what teams would best suit him now, but I'm surprised he hasn't had a call from Dallas, Denver, Seattle, New England, or Green Bay (Starks is a FA, I'd pair Lacy and Richardson back up if it could keep them accountable). Perhaps he has.

Either way I hope him the best.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

...surprised he hasn't had a call from Dallas, Denver, Seattle, New England, or Green Bay (Starks is a FA, I'd pair Lacy and Richardson back up if it could keep them accountable). Perhaps he has.
TR's missing vision and hands and slashing ability to replicate what Starks offers as a third-down and occasional No. 1 NFL back in the West Coast offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.