Link: Trent Richardson Signs with Ravens (Update: Officially Has Signed)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Trent Richardson signs with ravens

In the past the Broncos zone blocking made it almost impossible to not be at least mildly successful, because it was predicated on giving the back a "one cut" and go kind of option (zone blocking is usually back friendly...plus the Broncos had a "dirty" offensive line)...........Either way I hope him the best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Agree, in my lifetime, the most running back friendly place I ever saw, and for nearly a decade.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

TR's missing vision and hands and slashing ability to replicate what Starks offers as a third-down and occasional No. 1 NFL back in the West Coast offense.
They don't need just a third down back, they obviously need a back that can take every third series or so and give Eddie break.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

From the article, "Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reported on Tuesday morning that the Ravens want Richardson to get in better shape. If he does, they'll sign him." My question is why isn't Trent in the shape he needs to be in? I'm not being harsh towards him but what has he been doing for the past year? It doesn't appear that he is serious about getting back in the league if he is so out of shape and that seems to be the sole reason the Ravens haven't signed him yet..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

From the article, "Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reported on Tuesday morning that the Ravens want Richardson to get in better shape. If he does, they'll sign him." My question is why isn't Trent in the shape he needs to be in? I'm not being harsh towards him but what has he been doing for the past year? It doesn't appear that he is serious about getting back in the league if he is so out of shape and that seems to be the sole reason the Ravens haven't signed him yet..
Hard to keep rooting for the guy when this keeps coming up at every stop. He is obviously not putting the work in to get in the right kind of shape. Or he has some medical condition that keeps him from it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Hard to keep rooting for the guy when this keeps coming up at every stop. He is obviously not putting the work in to get in the right kind of shape. Or he has some medical condition that keeps him from it.
It's kind of a strange situation because it appears to be the same thing going on with Lacy. Just odd that we have 2 premiere talent RBs who get to the NFL and then can't keep their weight in check or stay in shape. Really makes you appreciate the structure and system that CNS has in place. Someone always seems to bring up that maybe they aren't motivated because Trent and Eddie are "set for life" because of the money they've made in the NFL. I broke down their contracts in another thread (might have been earlier in this thread) and neither guy is anywhere close to being set for life financially. You would think being able to take care of their families would drive these guys to at least get in shape and give themselves an opportunity..

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It's kind of a strange situation because it appears to be the same thing going on with Lacy. Just odd that we have 2 premiere talent RBs who get to the NFL and then can't keep their weight in check or stay in shape. Really makes you appreciate the structure and system that CNS has in place..
I'm not sure what it is. I guess it could be now they are making $$$$ they aren't as inclined to do what the coach and the staff says compared to when they were in college and they were broke. Who knows? But they stand to lose MILLIONS of dollars and a career over it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I'm not sure what it is. I guess it could be now they are making $$$$ they aren't as inclined to do what the coach and the staff says compared to when they were in college and they were broke. Who knows? But they stand to lose MILLIONS of dollars and a career over it.
I edited my post as you were quoting to add a something about their money motivation. If you look at the contract that both guys signed neither have made enough to live on the rest of their lives. Couple that with Trent saying in the Gary Harris interview that he had made some bad financial decisions I would say it's pretty safe to say he doesn't have much left from his rookie deal. Eddie was a 2nd round pick so his deal was pretty modest by NFL standards. These guys are not set for life and the money motivation should be there for them. Makes both situations just more bizarre..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

It's kind of a strange situation because it appears to be the same thing going on with Lacy. Just odd that we have 2 premiere talent RBs who get to the NFL and then can't keep their weight in check or stay in shape. Really makes you appreciate the structure and system that CNS has in place. Someone always seems to bring up that maybe they aren't motivated because Trent and Eddie are "set for life" because of the money they've made in the NFL. I broke down their contracts in another thread (might have been earlier in this thread) and neither guy is anywhere close to being set for life financially. You would think being able to take care of their families would drive these guys to at least get in shape and give themselves an opportunity..
Well, I think we can ease up on Eddie now. Seems like he's taken this offseason seriously. And let's look at last year. He was still a productive back - but we are used to seeing an All-Pro type player. He may regress but who knows why he put on weight. Could be laziness, or he could have just been adding bulk to make it harder for defenders to bring him down.

After everything he went through with Katrina and his family and the way he talks about providing for his mom and family - I don't think Eddie is making any selfish decisions. I think he just changed routines and it backfired on him or he underestimated how much he needed to do to keep his weight in check. Trent is another story.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Re: Trent Richardson Signs with Ravens (Update: Not Just Yet)

I have no idea, but I think that the statement may be phrased wrong. From EVERYTHING I have heard and read Trent has been busting his rear. The statement that stands out to me indicates that they have some specific goals for him. They may be wanting him to gain OR lose weight. They may be wanting him to meet a specific 40 time. They may be wanting him to meet a specific BMI. We have no idea. At least I don't.

Good thing is it appears that he still has an opportunity. That is what he has been working for. He met that goal. Getting the opportunity in an of itself is no small feat.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I think "getting in shape" means losing weight to what the team thinks he should be at.
He was getting a little heavy while at Bama. His game would be doomed with extra weight, much more so than Lacy.

One thing I pride myself in is that I was one of very few that listed our RB's in this order at the end of Lacy's senior year. Most has Lacy dead last. No back was as unstoppable as Lacy over the championship stretch starting with the Iron Bowl..........until Henry. Henry and Lacy were the most unstoppable backs during a stretch since Alexander the Great.
Lacy
Ingram
Richardson.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Inside Trent Richardson's rise from near rock bottom back to the NFL

Looks like Trent fell in the trap so many other athletes fall into...

A primary issue, Richardson said, was losing the structure he had thrived under at Alabama.

Considered one of the hardest workers on the team throughout his time with the Tide, Richardson struggled without that structure and admittedly didn't work as hard after reaching the NFL.

"It's very easy to get lazy in the NFL — not having everything scheduled and not having everything like at Alabama where it was so structured," Richardson said. "We had study hall or we had to get a workout in in between classes and had five classes a day. It was just so structured. In the NFL, everything's on your own."

There were also the family members and friends constantly asking for money to the point, Richardson said, that it became mentally exhausting and took away from his focus on football.

There were countless texts and calls each day. Richardson bought cars for people, somehow got stuck with paying for five funerals that were each at least $12,000 and treated people to unnecessary things like week-long trips to places like Disney World.

"And people still had the nerve to complain about the trip," Richardson said.
But he's clearly gotten back in shape:

Richardson's first contact with the Ravens was days after that night at the restaurant, a phone call with Harbaugh on a Sunday night that turned into a multi-hour conversation about life and football.

It ended with Harbaugh telling Richardson that he was going to talk to Newsome the next day and that he would be back in contact during the week.

Days later, Harbaugh called back with the news that led to the celebration inside Hall's living room, though Richardson's visit to Baltimore the following week didn't go as expected as he left without signing.

Richardson had trimmed down from around 235 pounds to 228 despite only limited work with McCoy to that point, but the 5-foot-9 Richardson weighed in at 238 in Baltimore after settling for fried chicken at Popeyes the night before and then eating a heavy breakfast that consisted of pancakes, grits and a breakfast wrap.

"I didn't think I was working out," Richardson said. "They were like, 'You ready to go work out?' I'm like, 'Work out?' That was right before the workout and I got weighed right before that. I was like, 'Oh my God.' And I jumped on the scale and I was like, 'Oh my God. I've been doing so good...'"

Still, Richardson said he got positive feedback following the workout, which included position drills and Richardson running the 40-yard dash.

Afterward, Newsome told Richardson to get his weight down, to come back at 225 pounds and, among other things, that "we really want you here."

Through continued work with McCoy and by following a diet plan constructed by McCoy, Richardson was down to 226 pounds early last week and weighed in at 218 pounds Thursday, three weeks after visiting Baltimore.

This is the lightest Richardson has been since high school.

"I feel good. I feel like the old high school Trent," said Richardson, who ran a 4.48 40-yard dash at 228 pounds at his Pro Day in 2012.

Richardson has gotten to a point that — after finishing a workout with McCoy on Monday — Richardson joked with McCoy, "That's all you got?"

"He's back," said McCoy, who was a senior at Alabama in 2009 when Richardson was a freshman. "With his focus the way it is, he looks like that freshman at Bama."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

There's still a lot of questionable decisions (eating and diet habits) being made Trent, according to the story above, that may continue to plague him throughout his career. However, if he is really down to 218 that's really impressive. Hope he can maintain that weight and sign with the Ravens. The Ravens are a very good organization, have a franchise QB and a high draft pick in this years draft. It would be cool to see Trent be a big part of the Ravens success..

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I'm going to give Trent the benefit of the doubt and pull hard for him. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and he stays in shape and is not lazy. He could hire a full time trainer if he makes the team. Stay hungry Trent!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

If he's at 218 right now and truly healthy that's GREAT! If he can maintain a 215-218 range and keep the peripheral noise out he'll be fine. I'd figure they'll find a way to utilize his quickness on swings and bubbles too.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Really enjoyed the article. I hope he turns it around. Maybe he needed to be broken down first to realize his full potential.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.