Bart Starr victim of brutal hazing at Alabama

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never understood this sort of idiocy - if someone tried to hit me with a paddle like that it would have to be surgically removed from either their throat or their butt.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I was a freshman, 1957, the practice was still around. The A-Club was the worst, but it was rife through the Greek system. I pledged a fraternity, the same one both my brothers had belonged to after WWII, and stayed a member for a year. I did go through hazing, but it was mostly deprivation of sleep and work to exhaustion. UA had abolished "Hell" week and renamed it "Help Week." Our fraternity went along, probably because the newly anointed Assistant Dean of Men for Student Affairs was a member and active. Not all did. One fraternity, with a history of suspensions, was caught beating and sexually molesting pledges and was suspended again...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going to try to properly word this without coming across as bitter or sounding like a crazy fan that questions the story of a victim because it's a horrible story that I would not want to wish on anyone.

I read the article yesterday and came away with a few questions that don't appear to be answered.

Why is Cherry Starr going public with this after 60 years and five biographies and an autobiography? She just randomly told al.com?

If this was such a common practice as suggested by quoting Nick Germanos, how has it not become public knowledge until now?

Just seems a little strange to me for this to become news now after so many years.

Krazy is right when he says it explains why Bart has been fairly distant in regards to being around the program, though.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've never understood this sort of idiocy - if someone tried to hit me with a paddle like that it would have to be surgically removed from either their throat or their butt.

I am sure some people defend this. Can you imagine showing up for a new job and being told as part of training older employees get to beat the crap out of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Going to try to properly word this without coming across as bitter or sounding like a crazy fan that questions the story of a victim because it's a horrible story that I would not want to wish on anyone.

I read the article yesterday and came away with a few questions that don't appear to be answered.

Why is Cherry Starr going public with this after 60 years and five biographies and an autobiography? She just randomly told al.com?

If this was such a common practice as suggested by quoting Nick Germanos, how has it not become public knowledge until now?

Just seems a little strange to me for this to become news now after so many years.

Krazy is right when he says it explains why Bart has been fairly distant in regards to being around the program, though.
My thoughts too. Didn't want to sound too negative, so glad you voiced them in a nice manner.

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
All kinds of activities in the past are now a crime. Wonder what we do today, that in 10 or more years will land you a prison term. Nonetheless, what Bart had to endure, is a sad situation and should have been criminal at the time. Disgusting, IMO.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Scott Hunter was interviewed last night. He saw it going on too and admitted in some cases where certain players had issues with other players, they indeed went way too far. He said his was bad but not that bad.
I also heard the talking head say when John Hannah arrived he said no one was going to haze him and it didn't happen (looking for any corroboration here). I'm not sure how bad it was by the time he came to Bama.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Scott Hunter was interviewed last night. He saw it going on too and admitted in some cases where certain players had issues with other players, they indeed went way too far. He said his was bad but not that bad.
I also heard the talking head say when John Hannah arrived he said no one was going to haze him and it didn't happen (looking for any corroboration here). I'm not sure how bad it was by the time he came to Bama.
There would have been very few brave enough to challenge Hannah on that, IMO.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Hey, man, it has to be true, since Breitbart has now picked up the story.

Seriously, this story sickens me. It explains a lot of little things that nagged me about Bart and his "distance" from The Capstone.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.